Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Removal

COplains

Barrel Removal

Is it possible, or pratical, to remove a barrel with just a wheeler action wrench and barrel nut wrench? My vise died. Or will I just screw up the action in the process? It is a 110 la. Seems like if I place things just so, use a wood or rubber mallet I can pull it off but this is a factory mount so Mongo has his say too. Thanks, kb

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by COplains View Post
    Is it possible, or pratical, to remove a barrel with just a wheeler action wrench and barrel nut wrench? My vise died. Or will I just screw up the action in the process? Thanks, kb
    Its much easier to undo Mongo' work by holding the nut and turning the action, why I came up with this gadget. Seldom if ever had I had to use all my 245# to loosen one. In fact it take me longer to set it up than to takes break an action loose.

No, it won't screw up your action, thousands of barrels (Remington, etc) have been removed with them. That one in the picture has done more than it's fair share.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

The key to the action wrenches, to avoid damage to the finish, is the bolt in the front action screw hole. Without that, expect that the wrench will slip and mar the finish. With Bill's setup, he can remove a mongo on steroids barrel nut.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Yeah, until I got an action wrench, I fought like heck to remove 2 different factory nuts and never succeeded. Damaged a barrel, though.

Once I got an action wrench, it was slicker than snot. Never bothered with the barrel vice. I put a long handled wrench on the nut wrench, though, for extra leverage. Laid it out on the floor, lifted on an end of one of the wrenches and it just eased itself loose. I laughed at my prior efforts, it was so easy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The key to the action wrenches, to avoid damage to the finish, is the bolt in the front action screw hole.
    I might add I put a layer of vinyl electrical tape on the wrench bore to protect the action and use a G8 Allen bolt through the wrench head in the action. I don't like the wrenches with a cutout to engage the lug. "IF" the wrench slips on the ring the pin in the lug will or can enlarge the cutout in the action and you'll have a slop fit forever more.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I just removed the barrel from my rifle just as you have asked while I was at home for lunch. This was my very first attempt at this, and was very simple. I did just as BillPa did, without the fancy jig, just laid it on the floor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
    I just removed the barrel from my rifle just as you have asked while I was at home for lunch. This was my very first attempt at this, and was very simple. I did just as BillPa did, without the fancy jig, just laid it on the floor.
    But you did use an action wrench, right?

Basic Member
    Yep, I usually only use my vise if I have a stubborn barrel, otherwise I just use the action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and maybe a rubber mallet.

brasse
    I never put the action in a vice if it has the slotted barrel nut. Rap on the Wheeler wrench with a hammer while holding the action in my legs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    But you did use an action wrench, right?
    Yes, I used an action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Once the barrel was off the receiver, I had to put the barrel (wrapped in leather) in a vise to remove the nut. I had to work the nut back and forth a few times before it was able to be completely removed.

Gotta love that blast media they mix in with the threads!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Gotta love that blast media they mix in with the threads!
    This is the single largest cause of mongo tightness in my opinion.. Little silver beads throughout the threads...
    NRA Endowment Member

I never use a barrel vice myself. I find them completely unnecessary if you have an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. I put the action wrench in my bench vice and whack the barrel nut wrench with a dead blow hammer...

Mongo never stood a chance with this setup.

And I also wrap the front receiver ring with tape to prevent any finish marring with the action wrench.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    This is the single largest cause of mongo tightness in my opinion.. Little silver beads throughout the threads...
    That and bluing salts wicking their way up the threads on the older blued guns.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Does a barrel vise not work as well as an action wrench ? It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.

Basic Member
    You need both. Something to hold the action when turning the nut. I've tried clamping the barrel in a vice, but it slipped/spun no matter what I tried to do to hold it. Probably b/c it is tapered. In any event, something has to hold the barrel or the action while you turn the nut. After you've removed the factory nut once, it may not be necessary to use the action wrench.

Sorry, I did not read you right, RP. I suppose if you had a good barrel vice, it would work just as well. However, the action wrench worked so well for me I won't bother looking for a barrel vice now that I have the action wrench.

COplains
    Well Gents....using all of your input and some pretty whacked shade tree engineering....voila!!!! You were right. Have the nut soaking in some "un-lock me" as the barrel came out of the action first, but it worked. Thanks much, I'd a been too chicken to try it without all your input.
    Last edited by thomae; 02-15-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Does a barrel vise not work as well as an action wrench ? It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.
    I have used just a homemade barrel vise on several swaps with great success.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.
    Using slotted nuts you don't have to remove the mount(s) or even the scope for that matter. You only need a rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner. (nut wrench).

I've swapped barrels on a shooting bench and or the tailgate of my truck at the range. One day just for S&G I shot four different barrels, one installed and three swaps only using those two tools.

Its not to say it doesn't require some practice but its certainly not difficult once you get the hang of it.

Bill

Basic Member
    BillPA, can you remove original, factory-installed nuts with these tools?

I only have difficulty with the initial removal.

the Ranger
    BillPA, that looks like a homebuilt tool, got pics of the end that fits in the action?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    BillPA, can you remove original, factory-installed nuts with these tools?
    No, especially with the open spanner. You'll spring the ends open. I tried it once and had to squeeze them back in place in my 6" vise.

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    BillPA, that looks like a homebuilt tool, got pics of the end that fits in the action?
    Not the best pic of it ...

I made it years ago for my Rem switch barrel guns. Its a piece of bar stock slotted for a piece of flat stock tig's in for the lugs and a old 1/2" drive socket tig's on to use a T handle. I don't have the dimensions off the top of my head, I have to measure them.

Google "Remington rear entry action wrench". I know Davidson make one, probably some others.

Bill

COplains
    Amazing how much useful information came out of such a simple question....hot damm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast