Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camo your rifle

highorder

Thanks, it was laborious.

Broke_Okie_Ty
    Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post
    Thanks, it was laborious.
    Well, I would say worth every second. I would definitely pay you to paint up a gun like that! (and I hate paying money lol)

OP: that stock came out real nice too. looks a little like the kryptic camo

Finished camoing my Axis:

Now I have to figure out why the group size opened up. The barrel was sealed, and it's still free floating.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 10-17-2014 at 05:21 AM.

highorder
    Action screw tension has changed.

Even if it's pillar bedded?

Just posting to update the obvious: yes, the action screw tension was affecting accuracy, probably due to my worthless bedding job. I was playing with torque at the range, and, sure enough, by the time I got the action screws down to 25 in-lbs, it was shooting like normal.

Goodrum
    It looks like everybody is some really neat camo jobs here. I want to camo my rifle and I was wondering about cleaning and oiling it. When you paint it don't you still have to keep it oiled? And do the cleaning chemicals mess up the paint? I know the camo serves a purpose more than to just look cool but I still don't want it to smear and look like crap when I clean and oil the gun.

No reason to oil the paint. Yes, some regular spray paints will start to come off from cleaning products. However, it is usually minimal and around the muzzle. If you use ceracoat or KG Gunkote I have not seen any paint wear from cleaning as they are baked on. Duracoat will show wear too, but it is not a bake on. Good thing is, if the paint starts to look bad just repaint it.

Goodrum
    So just to clarify if I degrease the barrel, let dry, then paint it; I will not need to oil the outside of the barrel to protect it against rust and the elements?

No reason to oil paint. If the paint wears off then the metal will rust, but a new paint job or cover of the area will stop. I have used cheap paint and bake on paint on my two main duck and goose guns for years with no ill effects. And those guns are used hard.

Basic Member
    Just cleaned 1 1/2year old Krylon off a stainless steal barrel. No issues at all. No need for oil. Just wiped it with rubbing alcohol prior to original paint application.

Goodrum
    Thank y'all for the advice and clearing that up for me.

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Just posting to update the obvious: yes, the action screw tension was affecting accuracy, probably due to my worthless bedding job. I was playing with torque at the range, and, sure enough, by the time I got the action screws down to 25 in-lbs, it was shooting like normal.
    It dont necessarily has to do with your bedding job, it is all in the harmonics. Deepening on how tight your action is to the stock/bedding it will affect the gun harmonics. If the gun harmonics change your accuracy will change (improve or worse). I have read in an article or two that you at times can improve a good load by working your action screws. Needless to say, be careful if you do so, stripped action screws are upsetting but stripped action screw holes are upsetting and expensive!

Don't worry about the smell. It will disappear and should not effect your hunting. After all, you're rifle hunting, not bow hunting. Part of my job is predator control and I have some Krylon-enhanced, used-to-be-black-guns and I've done a touch-up right before heading out on a hunt. I'm still killin' dogs and cats. I worry a lot more about a coyote'snose a lot more than anything with antlers or horns.

Camo it up and GO HUNTIN'!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12