Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camo your rifle

SThomas3791

camo your rifle

just curious? for all of you who have self camo'd your rifle. are/were you ever concerned with paint odors while out in the woods? with all the concern of critters picking up our scent it seems to me that this might be an issue? if you have done your rifle up how does it smell, how long did it take to no longer smell, ect...? considering doing my axis up but dont want to smell like a rustoleum factory out in the woods.

Basic Member
    After a week the smell died down. I even used a matte clear coat o it that smells worst than the paint.

jasta
    What about gun cleaning products and then there is the hunter himself..... Haven't had any issues myself but YMMV

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    What about gun cleaning products and then there is the hunter himself..... Haven't had any issues myself but YMMV
    i do everything i can to eliminate as much scent as possible, not add to it

Not a problem, The best way to deal with odors is just set up down wind like you're supposed to anyway. Paint smell goes away and I wouldn't even say it's noticeable after a while. No different than other human associated odors.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

SThomas3791
    yea i figured as much but wanted to make sure. figured if i get these rifles painted all purty this spring that they should be pretty much paint odor'ed out by thanksgiving.

Yep that ought to be long enough. Back before I realized deer are basicly blind and being the primary species I hunt I camoed several rifles and still camo my turkey shotgun using the camo gun socks from hunter specialties. You cut em to fit and there is no permanant change to the finish. Just thought I'd throw that out there. About $10
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

SThomas3791
    Main reason I want to camo is because I find this black on black quite boring to look at lol I guess im just looking to make them not look so much like a generic rifle :-)

Basic Member
    <smart alek> just mix some of your favorite hunting scent such as Doe Estrus or Elk Urine into the paint ;-)</smart alek>

Kidding aside, if you can set them outside a couple of days after the paint has hardened enough to not collect dust that would mar the finish, the natural air will get rid of the paint odor faster than having it sit indoors for the final cure. My Grandpa always stuck his up into rafters of the covered patio after refinishing them for a month or two. "To get nature's smell back in em Junior"
    Last edited by thomae; 03-25-2014 at 11:04 AM.

gregskin
    used 3 colors and clear matte finish the smell went away after a week or two. My axis is next.

Cobbershot
    Hand painting...not something I would want to do to my rifle. If I decide to cam up any of my firearms, this is the process I would use...

http://www.camo-solutions.com/dipping-process/

I am assuming you send your firearm off to these guys and it returns all nicely cammed up...but there are companies that will supply the materials for you to do it yourself at home.

Cheers, Cobbershot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregskin View Post
    used 3 colors and clear matte finish the smell went away after a week or two. My axis is next.
    Nice. I use the same technique of using local foliage...living in WA state, there's lots of shades of green...

Ooops, meant to add that I just purchased and zeroed an Axis in .243, and that's going to be next in line for painting. Just don't have a pic of it yet.
    Last edited by rick3; 09-08-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added info

gregskin
    Looks good. I like doing stuff on my own and not paying someone to make it look like everyone else's. Going to do my axis 270 soon too.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SThomas3791 View Post
    Main reason I want to camo is because I find this black on black quite boring to look at lol I guess im just looking to make them not look so much like a generic rifle :-)
    I'm doing the opposite. I just got a Model 10 PH Max 1 and hate the camo! Will paint it soon don't know whether just plain black or something else.

gregskin
    Hey to each their own. When hunting Turkey you want all cammo. Big game not so much

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    After a week the smell died down. I even used a matte clear coat o it that smells worst than the paint.
    +1. odors dissipate rather quickly within a day or so.

SThomas3791

This is how it turned out. I like it and yes the odor was gone after a week if that. :)
    Last edited by SThomas3791; 09-13-2014 at 12:10 AM.

243axis
    SThomas3791
    That looks real good.
    Just wondering what type or brand of paint did you use.

gregskin
    Looks good.

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by 243axis View Post
    SThomas3791
    That looks real good.
    Just wondering what type or brand of paint did you use.
    thanks! i used the rustoleum camo paint line and krylon clear satin lacquer.

Mach2
    Taxi drivers run off a lot of game too.

savagetoter
    rick3, very nice camo work on some of your guns. What type of paint did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by SThomas3791 View Post

This is how it turned out. I like it and yes the odor was gone after a week if that. :)
    Lookin good!

highorder
    This has been painted for a few months. Doesn't smell at all now.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post
    This has been painted for a few months. Doesn't smell at all now.

Highorder one day you're going to sit your rifle down and pick up a giant lizard by mistake. Nice camo job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast