Thread: .223 Hog Hunter Irons shooting WAY high at lowest position?

Hobbez

.223 Hog Hunter Irons shooting WAY high at lowest position?

Hey All,

I've been searching the web for an answer to this but haven't found anything so I'm wondering if it's just me...

I picked up the Hog Huner 11 in .223 because I wanted a .223 with open sights in the $500 range and it fit the bill. Problem is, I went to sight it in at 50 yards and even with the rear blade at it's lowest setting I'm hitting a good 5 inches high with 55 grain bullets. I can make this work with a 6 o'clock hold but I would much prefer to be shooting a dead hold. Am I missing something here or should I look into a lower rear blade? My secondary concern is that if a new blade is too low, the comb height of the stock will make it difficult to aim because of the tall front post. I don't understand why savage would be shipping a gun with sights that don't make sense and am hoping that someone here might be able to help me figure this one out.

Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    Is the front blade adjustable?

Basic Member
    The front blade isn't adjustable on mine so I would assume it would be the same on his. Are you sure your aligning the sights correctly? I haven't shot mine yet so I can't comment if mine shoots the same.

the Ranger
    I would look at putting a taller front sight on rather than a lower rear. like you said, the lower rear could be difficult get aligned on.

JCalhoun
    It was also a problem with the one I reviewed.

Probably going to have to get a taller front sight blade. IIRC Savage uses Williams sights.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JCalhoun
    Correct. The 11HH I had used Williams sights.

I had thought about doing a flip up rear sight on a Picatinny scope rail but traded it before I could look into that.

Hobbez
    I suppose you could push it left or right for windage but there is no up/down adjustment on the front post which is already stinking high as it is...

I picked up a new rear blade today to try out that's about 3/16" high and as guessed, it's way too low to get a good picture. If I am correct in measuring the stock blade at 1/2", I believe something in the neighborhood of 1/4" or 5/16" might do the trick.

There's stuff on midwayusa but I'm in Canada... anyone know of a good site that deals in williams parts up here?

Hobbez
    Quote Originally Posted by boostless View Post
    The front blade isn't adjustable on mine so I would assume it would be the same on his. Are you sure your aligning the sights correctly? I haven't shot mine yet so I can't comment if mine shoots the same.
    Pretty sure - the front post goes in the "U" notch...

Hobbez
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    I would look at putting a taller front sight on rather than a lower rear. like you said, the lower rear could be difficult get aligned on.
    I'll keep this in mind as a last resort... it's already pretty stinkin high...

Hobbez
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Correct. The 11HH I had used Williams sights.

I had thought about doing a flip up rear sight on a Picatinny scope rail but traded it before I could look into that.
    Not a bad idea, but I am putting quick release scope mounts on. I like to hunt with glass and cut paper with iron.

claysshotgunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbez View Post
    Problem is, I went to sight it in at 50 yards and even with the rear blade at it's lowest setting I'm hitting a good 5 inches high with 55 grain bullets. I can make this work with a 6 o'clock hold but I would much prefer to be shooting a dead hold.
    !
    So, you are wanting a dead on hold at 50 Yards? I did not look at any trajectory charts, but that seems a little close to zero dead on.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claysshotgunner View Post
    So, you are wanting a dead on hold at 50 Yards? I did not look at any trajectory charts, but that seems a little close to zero dead on.
    Well he did say it was shooting about 6" high at 50. I would be ok with about 2" high at 100 for a zero with irons. If we have Irons on military 223 rifles we do a BZO(Battle Sight Zero) at 36yds which equates to about 300yds based on the arch the bullet travels.

I wouldn't be happy with 6" high at 50 either.

Hobbez
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Well he did say it was shooting about 6" high at 50. I would be ok with about 2" high at 100 for a zero with irons. If we have Irons on military 223 rifles we do a BZO(Battle Sight Zero) at 36yds which equates to about 300yds based on the arch the bullet travels.

I wouldn't be happy with 6" high at 50 either.
    After checking my ballistics, I should really be aiming to sight in at 30 yards for a 200 yard zero. Seems to be the flattest trajectory for a max of 300 yards. None the less, it seems that the sights are the issue. I'm going to try and find a shorter rear blade from a local gunsmith tomorrow... wish me luck!

JCalhoun
    I never could the factory installed sight to hit center at 50 or 100 yards and they were not even in the ballpark.

Hobbez
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    I never could the factory installed sight to hit center at 50 or 100 yards and they were not even in the ballpark.
    Seeing as I'm not the only one, I wonder if a call to Savage might yield some results (or perhaps a new rear blade!). After thinking some more, I'm wondering if the sights are meant for the heavier .308 bullets but weren't tested for light .223 loads...