Thread: Boyds Laminate Axis Stock, Great Fit

Boyds Laminate Axis Stock, Great Fit

I picked up an SS Axis rifle in .223 a couple of weeks ago. I installed the lighter trigger spring and ordered a camo laminate Prairie Hunter stock from Boyds. Boyds told me it would take 4-6 weeks. It arrived today, less than three weeks after ordering. Its a perfect fit, free float barrel and the magazine fits perfect too. It is a big improvement in looks for my eyes.

Unfortunately I have not shot the rifle yet because of the Pacific northwest weather has been so bad here over the last month or so. But with the snow melting this week and warmer weather on the way to eastern WA maybe I can get to the range by Wednesday. I bought this Axis XP because I had heard they were tack drivers. My new trigger spring is around 3 lbs but still a touch gritty, I hope a little range time will improve the smoothness. I added a Teflon grease to the sear, it made a slight improvement, but I think a little repeated friction will help the most. I will report on my range time. I am going to shoot a Fiocchi 50 VMax first for the break in. I have some PP 75gr SMKs I may have to try as well. I am hoping my order of American Eagle 50 Gr VMax gets here in time too.

Dirtydeeds
    Any chance you can post pictures of the stock. I have a .270 ss axis and am considering the exact same forrest camo stock in prairie hunter. I'm a little nervous the comb may be too high, how do you find it? There really aren't any good pictures online of the stock to give an indication of how high the comb is. Would it be possible to take a picture from the back?

A few questions if you have the time. Does the stock come with pillars already installed. What is your opinion of the quality, colour etc?

I can pm my email address if you cant post pictures online.

Thanks.

DD
    The stock does not come with pillars installed. It took a little fiddling to get the trigger plate in the stock recess and recoil lug to line up with the barrel notch so that the action would completely seat in the stock. That was the only hangup, once I figured out how I needed to slide the action into the stock it came together nicely. I checked barrel-stock fit and it is a fully free floated barrel as it came from the factory. I scoped it with a Nikon Prohunter 4-12 BDC using the supplied rings. Its looks great IMHO.

I still have not sent any lead down range with this rifle yet because of the weather here. Its either been raining, snowing, or blowing a gale this winter. Like today, we have perfect bluebird sky with 40ish temperatures but wind gusts over 25 mph. Just not accuracy inducing weather and the range is in a bit of a valley so you get a venturi effect even on a light wind day anyway.

Send an email to kamml53@yahoo.com and I will forward you a couple of shots of the assembled rifle.
    Ken

Dirtydeeds
    Thanks for the info. I've sent an email so you can send a few pics if you get a chance. I'm actually seriously thinking of getting the same stock but I'm just not familiar with the prairie hunter style vs the classic so it'd be great to see some pictures.

2111 Marine
    here's a pic of my axis .308 with a Boyd's Prairie hunter in forest camo

Dirtydeeds
    That's a nice looking gun. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it from the back would you? I haven't been able to find any pictures showing how high and off set the comb is on the prairie hunter.

Right now I use a cheek riser but am hoping this style stock could help me get rid of it.

Thanks.

cap10pd
    Here's my LH 30-06 Axis in the Featherweight Thumbhole from Boyds-----it dropped right in, no problems
    Last edited by cap10pd; 02-20-2014 at 11:13 PM.

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
    That's a nice looking gun. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it from the back would you? I haven't been able to find any pictures showing how high and off set the comb is on the prairie hunter.

Right now I use a cheek riser but am hoping this style stock could help me get rid of it.

Thanks.

because of the tall rings due to the 50mm objective the raised comb on my Boyd's stock is still not enough i had to make a cheek pad using (2) 4" long 1/2"dia foam pipe wrap insulation pieces that i stacked together then wrapped tightly with black sports wrap . Doing this allowed a better cheek weld and now can view thru the scope is even better

will try an d get pics later tonite but total expenses to make this was less than $10 !!!

Dirtydeeds
    Nice pictures, love the colour. Most pictures I see don't show it in that good of light.

What kind of muzzle brake is that? That looks slick.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    What kind of muzzle brake is that? That looks slick.

That is a bolt on Witt Machine muzzle brake

Gunman9
    Quote Originally Posted by 2111 Marine View Post
    here's a pic of my axis .308 with a Boyd's Prairie hunter in forest camo

How do you like the Witt Machine Muzzle Break?

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by 2111 Marine View Post
    because of the tall rings due to the 50mm objective the raised comb on my Boyd's stock is still not enough i had to make a cheek pad using (2) 4" long 1/2"dia foam pipe wrap insulation pieces that i stacked together then wrapped tightly with black sports wrap . Doing this allowed a better cheek weld and now can view thru the scope is even better

will try an d get pics later tonite but total expenses to make this was less than $10 !!!
    2111 why don't you just put lower rings on it? I also have a .308 in Axis in a prairie hunter stock and love it.Hopefully next month can get my S/R barrel installed and do some shooting.Yours looks good.
    Last edited by rsh4364; 03-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    2111 why don't you just put lower rings on it? I also have a .308 in Axis in a prairie hunter stock and love it.Hopefully next month can get my S/R barrel installed and do some shooting.Yours looks good.
    The other day went to Bass Pro and got a Beartooth Comb raising kit in Mossy Oak Break up Camo and that was enough to get a really good cheek weld , just used the 5/8th foam pad under the sleeve and it is a perfect fit

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunman9 View Post
    How do you like the Witt Machine Muzzle Break?
    Haven't put any rds thru it but what i've heard is that this Brake really helps reduce the recoil ,but as for how it looks and the quality of this brake i really like it and money well worth spent

Edzzed
    My Boyd's also had a perfect fit. Here it is in NUTmeg LMAO.

storeyteller
    I have 2 of those Witt Machine brakes and they work quite well.