Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 17 WSM Ammo instock

Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    At that price about five bucks/box in duds!
    What are all these duds you refer too? I've fired about 900rds and only had to pull the trigger twice on one round!

sparky123321
    I've shot 300-400 in two different rifles and I also haven't had a single dud. I've experienced more duds in very expensive 22LR competition ammo.

Rainorshine
    Glad to hear your results are so good. I'm starting to lose hope I'll end up with a useful rifle. Before returning my rifle to Savage for poor grouping I shot 1- box of 20 gr poly and 1-box of 25 gr and got what I considered to be 10 duds as follows; 1 failure to feed 20 gr, 2 no-fire 25 grs after multiple strikes and six that required 2 strikes to fire. Just before sending the rifle back I shot 10 more rounds of 25 gr with 1 needing 2 strikes.
    Last edited by Rainorshine; 05-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Basic Member
    I have only fired 1 box of 25gr thru my sporter, have yet to shoot the HB yet . No Duds so far for me.

doesn't it seem odd that no body on the net ( Gander, Cabelas, Etc ) has not had any 17 wsm in awhile but GB has plenty? something is rotten

surfertim

Angry new to the thread

Just registered today. Living in two states, California/Alabama, can't find ammo anywhere in the San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles County area. Saw the Bmag long ago at the Shot Show, fired it and loved it. Spent the next several months trying to find a rifle. Got one with two boxes of ammo (all they had). Quick trip to the range. Loved the ammo, hated the set up of the gun. Stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly, purchased an after market stock, made numerous modifications, cleaned and polished bore, had barrel re crowned for accuracy, had chamber reamed and head spacing corrected, cleaned rifling, Arca glass bedded the set up, ran the trigger weight down, added metal trigger ring and mag surround, added a few 10 shot mags, polished and damascened the bolt, bought tactical bolt handle, cut off knob and re threaded, added carbon fiber knob. Web painted the stock, over coated in semi gloss polymer. Added tactical adjustable comb, added Harris bipod. Took it back to the range and loved the fit, and was blown away at the accuracy out to 300 yards.

PROBLEM: I can't find ammo for this gun ANYWHERE!!!!!! What's up with that? Now Volquartsen and Winchester are offer guns, and there is a cool AR type version out there that I have on order. What am I going to feed it? For a while I enjoyed the search, but it's gotten old. I am beginning to think that Wichester and Savage teamed up to wave a technology in our collective faces, then failed to provide ammo in sufficient supply to cover even the most meager requirements. I'm incensed, and am beginning to think it was all part of a plan to divest eager consumers of their money, with no real intent to keep them viable. Can anybody out there shed some light on this for me? I have been collecting and modifying firearms for years, and with only one exception (.30TC) have NEVER dealt with this before. At least I was able to get .30 TC dies so I could reload my own, no can do for rimfire. I hope I'm wrong with all of this, but so far all I have is a very attractive and expensive paperweight, the Savage BMag.

rona
    I am thinking the price gougers are getting it from the wholesalers and the retailers just can't get it. Either that or Winchester is not producing it.

surfertim
    I'm with you, I only had the two boxes of ammo that I was able to buy when I picd up the rifle (.25grn), and there was no problem at all with the ammo. As a matter of fact it looked great a discharged reliably. My issue was with at the apparent lack of attention Savage gave to the build. I own a number of Savage rifles, and have never know them to be anything but accurate and reliable out of the box. The stock they selected for the Bmag is pathetic, and replacing it with a 2X4 would likely be an improvement. But the issues, admittedly small, didn't end there. I can live with all of that, and the likelihood is that even if it came with a good stock, I probably would have changed it anyway. But the crown the barrel crown looks poor to me, and the head spacing was off too. I noticed an exceptionally heat coat of preservative in the barrel out of the box, and cleaning a .17 properly is a bit of a chore. I suspect that this factor alone might be the biggest issue for many shooters. If you don't get that crap out of there it's anybody's guess where that bullet will go. Now, again, WHAT UP WITH THEIR MANUFACTURING? When are we going to see any of this ammo? I've never felt this way before, but I'm ready to swear off of Savage and Winchester!

rona
    Its interesting to read all the glowing reports about this new cartridge and rifle that Winchester and Savage have joined forces to put out then reading how the rifles will be released around April followed by the ammo in approx. two weeks. So I ordered one and was anticipating going Prairie dog hunting with it. I was the first one that ordered one from the local dealer and it arrived in August. OK another two weeks for ammo and I would be ready to go. That store never did get ammo so after looking all over the state I finally got some in Nov. 8 out of 10 rounds wouldn't eject and the stock had a decided tilt to one side so I sent it back to get it fixed. To their credit Savage sent me a new B-Mag which I got around the end of Dec. It gets to cold for me to try accuracy testing in the winter so waited until a warm winter day in March before taking it out of the box it came in. By then I had bought a replacement stock from Boyds to put on it. After putting a scope on it we loaded the magazine and slide it into position. It promptly fell out. Several attempts were made but it wouldn't lock in place. So I shot it and just held the magazine in position for reloading. The shells ejected just fine so we tried accuracy. Three rounds went where they were supposed to but the next two went elsewhere. I tried this several times and got the same results so sent this rifle back also.
    On my way home I stopped at another gun shop and was going to see if they had more shells. Nope he said but I just got a new B-Mag you might like It has a heavy SSbarrel. I did a swap for a extra pistol I owned and brought it home. I widened the slot in the Boyds stock I had bought for my original B Mag and after putting everything together shot up some more ammo. The results were what I thought I was paying for the first time. Everything works fine and the Boyds stock made it look like a real rifle.
    So after that I contacted Savage and we agreed to swap the second B-Mag and a extra 50.00 for the new heavy barrel version. I don't need 2 of these rifles but lost faith in the light barrel version and have a sneaky hunch they wouldn't have much value.
    In hindsight if I used the light barrel as a single shot it may have worked fine
    I cleaned all my rifles before use so can't blame that as a excuse. The ammo is still unavailable unless you want to pay a stiff finders fee on line. The joke on the whole thing is The Prairie Dog hunting in South Dakota has been ruined by gov poisoning and the plague.

If one more ammo manufacturer would "jump on board", maybe it would get Winchesters attention?

Basic Member
    Yep We need CCi or somebody to jump on the wagon

I have access to 1 wholeseller web site to look at and they have had none of the 17 WSM all spring

Bought the SS heavy barrel B-mag because the LGS said they had ammo. After the gun is mine the bring me out one box. ONE BOX, which is all they had! Stopped by another LGS and they said they'd sell me one box if I bought the rifle. Where is all the ammo?
    Jim

Basic Member
    still have not seen any 17 wsm ammo anywhere, myself and several others I know are keeping a look out and none to be found
    wrote Winchester again a couple times and I never get a reply about the ammo

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    still have not seen any 17 wsm ammo anywhere, myself and several others I know are keeping a look out and none to be found
    wrote Winchester again a couple times and I never get a reply about the ammo
    Still can get 500 rounds for $499.00

A buck a round? Yeah that's a good deal.
    Jim

At $1 a round ...... I won't be shooting a rim-fire!

I had a response to my e-mail from Winchester. They advised that ammo would be shipping "in the coming weeks"

That is pretty vague, and hardly a definitive answer.

That seems to be their standard reply.

KN11
    Just got a. 17 wsm savage b mag as a wedding present. Well I'm pumped up about the gun, but after 3 days of searching I'm getting very discouraged. Can't find any ammo. I've seen it within the last couple months but can't find any now that I need it. Hoping this changes soon.

Basic Member
    it is scarce right now, even the scalpers on GB are running low it looks like from what I checked out pretty sure it will get better but how soon ????

Basic Member
    Some seller on G/B or asking from 90 cents to a dollar a round. and when I last looked only 5 or so were selling it.
    Last edited by onegreatshot; 06-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by onegreatshot View Post
    Some seller on G/B or asking from 90 cents to a dollar a round. and when I last looked only 5 or so were selling it.
    To pay that much is just playing into the thieves hands. Remember who they are and never buy anything from these scalpers. My guess is Winchester is doing something to improve the round and if I am right the greedy scalpers should be left holding the bag when the good ammo is released.
    Problem is it is prime prairie dog hunting and no ammo the Second year is wearing my patience. So far 3 B-Mags in my hands and the last one works so that part is good but no ammo sucks. These people who bragged so much about this combination should be in politics.

Rainorshine
    Quote Originally Posted by rona View Post
    To pay that much is just playing into the thieves hands. Remember who they are and never buy anything from these scalpers. My guess is Winchester is doing something to improve the round and if I am right the greedy scalpers should be left holding the bag when the good ammo is released.
    Problem is it is prime prairie dog hunting and no ammo the Second year is wearing my patience. So far 3 B-Mags in my hands and the last one works so that part is good but no ammo sucks. These people who bragged so much about this combination should be in politics.
    Yeh, seems if Winchester was making any .17 WSM ammo we would see some show up at least occasionally at outlets like Cabela's?

rona
    I been to Cabala's and Shields' and asked them if they had any last summer. They told me if bought the rifle there they would sell me some otherwise no. The dealer I bought it from never did get any but I was able to get some from a new small dealer in town. He only got one B-Mag but for some reason did get 20 grain ammo. He is also the dealer that I seen and bought my SS heavy barrel from back in March The local WalMart store sells ammo but couldn't get any B-Mag.

Rainorshine
    The last ammo I found was on-line at Cabelas in mid-March of this year. They have a 1-box per order policy but often had the ammo available on-line prior to then.

Basic Member
    Cabelas has had it a couple times in the last couple weeks, the 20 grainers

bremereric
    Ha Ha. Sunday I shot more than 75 rounds. I found four boxes of 20 grain at Carter's Country. I bought two at 17.00 before we shot. They moved 2 move boxes out to replace the two that I bought. So I bought two more before we left. There was another lady at the counter.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast