Thread: Weaver T-36 on a Precision Target Action

MarTay6

Weaver T-36 on a Precision Target Action

I am working on building a rifle with a Precision Target Action... the action has left SSS- and is at Masterclass for bedding- I have a Weaver T-36 I am planning on mounting on it- wanting to confirm that the PTA's are indeed drilled for scope mounts- and looking for mounting recommendations. Working range between 200-600 yards for paper punching only. I'd like to get my mounting situation taken care of prior to having the gun in hand.
    Thanks for any advice-
    Wes

Basic Member
    Drilled for scope mounts? I am not sure I understand your question.

How could they NOT be?

Yes, they are drilled and tapped. Any mount that would work on a short action round back (Model 10,12,14,16 etc.) will work on a PTA, except that the mount cannot incorporate a recoil-stop lug, unless you don't mind grinding it off, as the PTA's have a solid metal top with no cutout on top.

Have mine mounted with the Kelby base and rings. Perfect fit. A little pricey but I bought the highly polished set.( $198 )
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

MarTay6
    Well, in the past- many years ago, not all guns were drilled/tapped for scope mounts... something you had to take your gun to a gunsmith for.... I've been out of shooting for nearly 40 years, just wanting to know that it's something I don't have to worry about- that's all...
    Wes

Basic Member
    Gotcha. Showing my youth. :)

Now days most are drilled and tapped, but no sights. Traded one for the other, I guess. :)

PTA should be real nice.

MarTay6
    Thanks for the inputs, guys- I appreciate it... now I at least have somewhere to start. Not sure how tall of rings I'll need....
    Any guidance??
    Hey, Foxx- it's o.k.... I'm showing my age! *grin*
    Wes

That depends on the type of bases you decide to go with, but medium to low would be a good place to start.

Just my .02 cents - but I'd go with Burris Trumount bases along with Signature Rings. You could do the mediums in that combo with the T-36 and will have an option to dial in anywhere from 0 to 30 MOA (albeit I would think 10 MOA would be ideal with that scope given it's range of adjustment). If you want to go super light and have a strong mount, I favor the One piece base and rings from Talley. Very strong and light. No MOA adjustments however (and you'd give up any windage base adjustability from the aforementioned Burris setup). Still very nice (strong and no movement) base-n-ring-in-one combo....
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

The Kelby's that rjt mentioned are really classy looking rings.

MarTay6
    O.K., one additional item of importance in this question- my Savage PTA has the extra port milled into the action- by SSS... I know some of the one-piece bases for the Savage PTA's I've seen have a clearance milled for the right port- but what about for the left port? Anything in a one-piece base made suitable for a double-ported Target Action??
    Wes

Basic Member
    Shoulda said something before we shipped it out, Wes. We have some Benchsource bases in stock. They are specifically made just for target actions.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

MarTay6
    Work with your double-porting??? Price? Finish choices? Sounds like just what I'm looking for... you can PM me info- or email me info on it if you prefer.
    Thanks so much for the input!
    Wes

MarTay6
    Thanks to all for the info here- helped me figure out the best solution... ended up ordering a Bench Source scope base and Kelbly double rings. One more step towards a finished rifle- and by the time I get the rifle, and finish the stock- I'll have all the extra pieces- and all the reloading components I need. I won't be ending up with a finished rifle- and still needing other parts/pieces to be complete!
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Wes