Thread: 22-250ai vs. 22-243ai

22-250ai vs. 22-243ai

Is there really much difference with these two? I have been reading and it looks like no difference same performance. can someone straighten this out for me please. I run a 22-250 ai now with the 75 a max and am getting about 3325 out of a 28" barrel. i want 3400 or better. i am running h 4350 and getting one hole groups now.

dcloco
    Go with a 22/6mm AI. 1:8 twist barrel at 26" runs 4K. I load down slightly and keep them running at 3900.

you are talking the 75 grain a max? i like the sounds of that, wonder what just the 22-6mm would do?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calib View Post
    Is there really much difference with these two? I have been reading and it looks like no difference same performance. can someone straighten this out for me please. I run a 22-250 ai now with the 75 a max and am getting about 3325 out of a 28" barrel. i want 3400 or better. i am running h 4350 and getting one hole groups now.
    Your barrel is too long for that powder. 4350 will work great with a 26" barrel, but it loses speed and gains pressure with anything longer. I was getting 3450 fps with an 80 SMK out of my 26" Douglas 1-8" twist. 3500 was no problem with 75's.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

What would be a good powder to try that i may possibly be able to find? I have h1000, and i think i have some partials od others at home. If that barrel was cut down to 26" would i be able to push it better with 4350

If you went to a 22-243, you would have over 5 more grain capacity, which would allow you to go from H4350 to H4831, and take advantage of that 28" barrel, then you would easily see 3500+FPS with no pressure signs, reloaders nest has some Middlestead load data.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Would the cheeta be about the same in the cheeta 1a smith i know has a reamer, but what about dies get a 243 ai bushing die?

Yes you could do that, but you need to bump the shoulders, when I do a wildcat I make sure, I can get the dies and the reamer, sometimes it is not always exactly what I wanted, but at least it stops the barrel from collecting dust.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Is there anything i could get like a bushing die for another cartridge that would do this with out having to have a custom diea cut. I started using the redding bushings this past year and am now addicted

You could use a gutted 243AI die, for full length sizing and shoulder bumping, those are not hard to find, and then finish off with the neck die .

Dean

I like that, now of i wouldnt have sold my 243 ai dies a year ago

My smith says they have reamer, dies and loaded rounds, i think they bought a package deal a while ago and through it tothe side

Anyone else have any experience with the cheeta 1 or a 22-243 ai that would be nearly same

Gonna have a cheeta 1 made, well first i have a factory sporter 22-250 taka off that i am gonna have reamed out, this will be the fire forming barrel as well as something fun to play with asit is not going to matter about the burn out as long as it will forn brass.

Then i am going to have a blank maybe a number 5 contour with a good shank length to it for a set back or two start off about 28-27" long.

Trying to see if the smith will sell me his dies, other wise i may just do a set of 243 ai bushing dies for the neck sizing, may possibly be able to bump shoulders with that set

That fire forming barrel is going to be funn to sling some 55's or 60's at high speed toward some steel, crows, what ever shows, maybe some rock chucks.

If you can wait until later on today, I will post my new wildcat that I had chambered, it will dislocate your jaw it will drop so much, and you might want to pursue that route instead.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 02-06-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Ok, let me know when it is up or put a link in this thread if you would

dcloco
    For any wildcatting, as scope eye suggested, calculate cost/availability of brass and dies before proceeding. 6mm was easy for me...as it seems, there is always 6 Remington brass available.

Quote Originally Posted by calib View Post
    Ok, let me know when it is up or put a link in this thread if you would
    Here you go.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Wildcat-22-Cal

Dean

thanks scope eye

Smith has the barrel, may be able to get dies from him, if not i am thinking ill have to get a set of 243 ai bushing dies and neck it with that