Thread: Model 12 lrp

Basic Member

Model 12 lrp

Hi guys, just got my new model 12 lrp in today and I must say what a gun! Took it apart for a good cleaning and move to mounting a scope. I stopped by my local shop and picked up a one piece picatiny rail up on my way home. It's a 20moa rail. I have used this same rail on my other 5 savage rifles both short and long actions. Attempted to mount it on the lrp and it does not lay flat and flush on the receiver. Does this model require a different base or maybe I have a miss cut rail?

I believe the LRP uses a Target action, which has only a small cutout for the ejection port. The top of the action is solid. If you look at the underside of your rail I bet there is an integral recoil stop that protrudes down slightly. This is designed to stop forward movement of the rail when the gun recoils. This is made to fit standard actions with the cutout that extends over the top. There are some rails that do not have the lug; Nightforce is one. Or you could just carefully grind it off of the one you already have.

Basic Member
    Not certain I do the lrp uses a large shank barrel maybe the action is larger as well?

Otherwise who knows. I'd take it back and compare to another rail maybe that's just a bad piece.

Otherwise you can bed a rail the same as you do an action. I've never had to do it myself.

Basic Member
    That seems to be the problem. ( recoil lug) Does anyone know if the weaver one peice rail will fit the target action?
    Last edited by bigred94; 02-06-2014 at 05:24 PM.

The LRP has the standard SA bolt screw spacing for bases. Any base made for a SA that does not have a recoil lug should screw right on as the action diameter for the LRP is the same as the Savage small shank.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Anyone know what bases do not have the recol lugs?

Basic Member
    Egw doesn't have the lug. I would just grind it off.

Team Savage
    grind the lug off an be done with it

drybean

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred94 View Post
    That seems to be the problem. ( recoil lug) Does anyone know if the weaver one peice rail will fit the target action?
    My experience has been that the weaver 0MOA rail has no recoil lug. The Weaver 20MOA rail has a recoil lug. EGW rails do not have a lug.

Standard short action spacing for LRP. Just got a new one myself (243). Used Weaver 46's front and rear (just like data states). Have the Weaver 1 piece no moa on a sa M10 FCP-k, no lug on it.

Basic Member
    Tag

PRI rails do not have the lug either.