Thread: savage model 29 pump action

hausfield

savage model 29 pump action

Im looking for a safety assembly and inner magazine tube for savage model 29. Tried all the usual places, numrich, brownells bobs gun-parts etc. Anybody have any ideas.

Basic Member
    hausfield, I am am quite sure the 29 took the same saftey as the later 29-A &-B and a quick look at Numrich showed those parts available.

The early 29's took a sightly different inner magazine tube than the later ones, the later type tube was also used on the 29-A & -B and will fit an early gun (an early tube will not fit a later gun though). The Gun-Garage sells these on eBay - it's listed as fitting the 25 also but that is not 100% correct, it would probably need the follower lengthened to work in a 25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-25-29...orcev4exp=true
    Last edited by Sav22; 02-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.

hausfield
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I found the inner mag tube on ebay, and I also located and purchased the safety plunger on gunbroker. Funny thing they only sell the plungers in packs of 12. Only 4 bucks so no big deal though.

I wasn't sure if the safety that numrich had in stock for the model b would work so I haven't ordered that yet. I noticed that there were a few different parts on the different models so I figured I would post in this forum and get some knowledgeable advice first.

After i completely disassembled the model 29 I also discovered that it also has a broken firing pin and the trigger sear is rounded. By looking at the schematics i think the firing pins also interchange so I will be ordering that and a trigger as well.

I found this old model 29 on armslist in albuquerque. It had been spray painted silver. The wood looked to be in good shape and the guy said it was complete accept for the inner mag tube. I have a soft spot for old pump action 22's so I decided to rescue it and bring it home.

When I brought it home the action would barely cycle because it was all gummed up with paint. I think a kid used it as a toy gun honestly. After stripping the paint it was evident that somebody had sanded the barrel and receiver with 100 grit sandpaper before painting it. The barrel has some surface pitting also so it will never be a show gun but will be a nice shooter. I got most of the imperfections out by buffing with jewelers rouge. I reblued it and antiqued it to match the wood. Now it looks like an old gun again.

I'm now working on the internals. Everything has cleaned up really good. The action is really smooth just needs a few parts to complete it. The trigger sear is rounded a bit so it has a hair trigger. Probably a pound at most to make the trigger break. After I acquire all the parts and reassemble the old gal for one last time I think I will enjoy the hell out of my little find.

I'll post some before and after pics after i get the old model 29 back together and put a few rounds through her.

Again, Thank You for your help.

Haus

Basic Member
    The firing pin for a 29 is totally different than for a 29-A or -B, I am not sure about the trigger but would think they possibly are different. Even with firing pins for the 29's, an early pin will not fit a later bolt, but a later pin will fit in an early bolt. The 29-A was not just an improvement of the 29, it was a different action internally.