Thread: Question for 600 and 1000yd shooters

Question for 600 and 1000yd shooters

I am in the process of putting together my new shooting rig. I am very excited to start shooting my new 6xc but the barrel is 12-14 weeks out. My question is I am looking for a better spotting scope for the 600 and 1000yd ranges. I am wondering if a small telescope would work ok instead of spending huge of a new spotting scope. It will be tough to see those 6mm holes at long distance. Has anyone tried using one?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
    I am in the process of putting together my new shooting rig. I am very excited to start shooting my new 6xc but the barrel is 12-14 weeks out. My question is I am looking for a better spotting scope for the 600 and 1000yd ranges. I am wondering if a small telescope would work ok instead of spending huge of a new spotting scope. It will be tough to see those 6mm holes at long distance. Has anyone tried using one?
    even with the newer high end spotting scopes bullet holes in black portions of the target are tough.
    holes in white sections are much easier. as for the fluorite coatings over regular coatings they wont help either.
    fact is on a side by side comparison you wouldnt see any difference under normal conditions. some of the older
    spotting scopes such as the bausch&lomb balscope with a "good eyepiece" will still do an excellant job for you.
    by and large the zoom eyepieces wont give the clarity of a good fixed power. unfortunatly thats what most
    scope companies are using today.

Basic Member
    Another thing to consider is that a telescope will have the image upside down where a spotting scope will be right side up. If you are shooting and not in a competition then use shoot-n-see targets. I don't know of any type of scope that will reliably allow you to see bullet holes at 1000 yards and seeing a 6mm hole at 600 yards is hit and miss on most days.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

JCalhoun
    The targets are score after each shot with 4 inch white or orange disc to show the shot placement and a scoring around the perimeter of the target to show the value of the shot. You can check your shot placement and score by looking through your rifle's scope but will need a spotting scope to do the scoring for competitor. In sanctioned matches shooters don't score their own targets.

The 20 - 60 X Vortex Nomads are good for this and are on closeout at Cameraland.

I will have to check out cameraland. Ya I am just looking to make it easier on me during practice. I have to go out in the middle of nowhere just figured if I could see it from where im shooting I wouldnt have to jump on the 4 wheeler and run down to look

The only way you are going to see those tiny holes at those distances is with a target camera setup. I don't care whose spotting scope you buy and in the most perfect of conditions, your not seeing 6mm at 1000yds. As JCalhoun mentioned, just by yourself a cheap piece to score with on match day and and spend more on a target camera setup to practice with. I have used this system http://www.bullseyecamera.com/ at 500yd and it seem to work great. I'm just waiting for someone to come out with a system that will work reliably out 2000+ yds.

Topsail
    It's hard enough seeing 30 cal holes at 200 yds

Basic Member
    +1 Earl just noticed your earlier comment.

I also suggest using Shoot-n-see targets for practice it will make the holes more obvious with a quality spotter. I was able to see orange golf tees at 500yds used to mark .223 holes for military competition with a 45x Konus spotter. I would imagine shoot-n-see targets as long as they are they good contrasting ones would offer the same as the golf tee.

Basic Member
    Try doing what we do...shoot clay pigeons. If it's broken, you got a 10 or X. Easy to see from distance and cheap too. You can see your misses as the bullet impacts the berm too. Next best thing to a target cam.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    We shoot clay pigeons and steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Try doing what we do...shoot clay pigeons. If it's broken, you got a 10 or X. Easy to see from distance and cheap too. You can see your misses as the bullet impacts the berm too. Next best thing to a target cam.
    I like the idea, I can't see bleep, my eyes are getting old, I am thinking of getting a gong as club does not allow clay.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    clays are great to shot i find all i want over at our shotgun range (the misses) i shoot them @ 300 then shoot the pieces until all gone. i also have my son call pieces out then i have to find and shoot its a game me and him play

DarryH
    Many telescopes show the image upside-down on terrestrial targets. If this is the case, you can buy an image erector/image inverter.
    Pull out the eyepiece, put in the image erector, put the eyepiece back, and you are good to go.
    Most telescopes are too powerful for the use you describe, as well as too big and clumsy.

As others said.....Shoot n' See type targets help a great deal.

Another trick that helps at any range......if you have a black bullseye, use white paper behind the target.
    If the bullseye is white, use black paper behind the target.

Good Shootin!!
    DarryH