Thread: Cheek piece for mdl 11

coyote268

Cheek piece for mdl 11

Just got a Mdl 11 LH 308 to carry along in the Rhino while Turkey hunting in case we run across a pig. Shot it in Saturday and I couldn't believe what a tight group it held. Two shots in the same hold and the other touching them. Wow, so might even let my Granddaughter use it for Deer as she shoots LH"d also. Problem is I would like to get a little bit of a higher comb on it to steady it as I now have to shoot left handed after going blind In my right eye. Has anybody had any experience with say a strap on cheek piece with a higher comb?

I've tried a couple of the lace on and velcro tactical style stock packs and found them to be not very stable, not very comfortable, and kind of klunky.
    I made a Karstens style adjustable comb riser from a piece of Kydex and it is definitely a much better cheekpiece all the way around. It was a fun project because I enjoy tinkering. Lots of online "how to" articles and videos to check out and see what works. Kydex is cheap, easily available and really easy to work with. Just measure everything 3 or 4 times and cut once. The hardest part was gritting my teeth and getting over the emotion of drilling a couple of holes in my stock. (Getting harder to find unmolested flatback DBM stocks reasonably) In the end I'm really glad I did and wound up with the solid, repeatable cheek weld I was looking for. Now I can shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed, open my eyes and I'm looking right down the center of the scope. I'm definitely going to make myself a couple of more with the leftover material.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

pitsnipe
    Like a Carsten kydex style myself. Yes, you will have to drill the stock for it. But I have owned a strap on or two, and they never seem to stay put.

Snipe

coyote268
    Well, I ordered a Mathew's slick cheek rest. Installation was very easy, brought comb up where I wanted it. Also had to grit my teeth like BHJ when drilling the holes in the stock but I really it was worth it. Going up to the Ranch tomorrow and hopefully see a pig and try it out. Still can believe the accuracy of this rifle, amazing.

I have several Blackhawk Stock cheek pads.They make 2 different ones that go on with velcro straps that hold well.One is a plain pad with removable spacers that slip inside the pack.The second one has a cut out for ar-15's so you can pull the charging handle back. Well I bought a few of the ar-15 one's and they have that cut out to be able to remove your bolt if you have to for cleaning. It is very comfy and wouldnt be without one on certain rifles that I own.This way you dont have to drill holes and ruin the stock for future sales if you tire of the rifle and want to sell.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!