Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic calculator

Tantor

Ballistic calculator

Guess this is a good spot to post my question.
    Looking for a good ballistic calculator to put on my iPhone. Any suggestions floating around out there? It doesn't matter if it's a free one or paid just want something I can use and save data.

BC from KY

I use this one. Don't know if it is iPhone friendly.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Team Savage
    I use the one from Berger Bullets

drybean

Basic Member
    I use Strelok. Looks like its pay only for the iPhones. Itworks pretty well. It will hold multiple rifles and multiple loads per rifle and offers a reticle view that shows what yardage for what dot if you have one of the reticles in the program. Will take in temp and atmospheric conditions too if you desire.

Basic Member
    +1 on Strelok. It even has a calculator built into it to estimate Muzzle velocity/FPS based on scope adjustment for different distances to correct the overall corrections out to whatever distance you require.

Patch700
    Try this one , a no nonsense ballistic app that asks all the rite questions pertaining to getting accurate answers..

http://ringnecksoftware.wordpress.com/bulletdrop-2/

Basic Member
    Don't know if it can be dn.loaded but if you have i-phone svc. I think the guy on the directions said you could get to it.Try "Longrange hunting Ballistics Calculator" it's the most complete i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    +1 on Strelok. It even has a calculator built into it to estimate Muzzle velocity/FPS based on scope adjustment for different distances to correct the overall corrections out to whatever distance you require.
    For a free download it's pretty hard to beat. I like the fact it also databases scope info.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    For a free download it's pretty hard to beat. I like the fact it also databases scope info.
    +1, and Igor updates the database almost weekly with new recticle data. I also use "shooter" on the iPhone & iPad and wish the bullet database it contains was also a part of iStrelok.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    i use shooter and strelok

proline
    Isnipe has served me well for a couple of years now
    You can save your different loads and rifles
    You can allows you to upload your current weather and it seems to be quite accurate

proline
    Minus 1 "you can"
    Welcome to my english

Quote Originally Posted by proline View Post
    Minus 1 "you can"
    Welcome to my english
    Youkan is Canada. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

proline
    Maybe I just need a grammar checker

RollinCoal24v
    I like ballistic-advanced edition. It's $20. But the closest thing to ATRAG software I could find for iPhone. Algorithm can be trued for muzzle velocity and BC can be trued out past subsonic. It's a great program for the money.

Basic Member
    I use "Shooter" on my iPhone 4 and am really happy for the 10 bucks I paid for it. Has all the peramiters I want, easy to use, and can email myself the ballistic charts for printout off computer.

BW64
    Strelok works for me too. My buddy uses Bryan Litz's app.

BW

Knight Armament's BulletFlight military edition has worked very well for me on my iPhone. You can store various weapons and loads, download gps-specific weather conditions, has a bullet library, etc.

Basic Member
    im still using the drop chart for a 6.5x300 weatherby a friend gave me about 40 years ago.
    i never had a 6.5x300 weatherby but he said it would be "close" to my gun. lol
    i might consider getting another but with so many to choose from id probably not live long enough
    to find the right one. i think id try the brian litz one first. after all he told me first round hits at 2000
    can be "expected". come to think about it he didnt say by who or how often.

Nothing wrong with drop and drift charts. Same info, just a different way of accessing it. I used the drop charts in the older version of Hornady's reloading manuals for a while and they worked well.

Basic Member
    well i of coarse joke some about this stuff. i think the ipod setups are very nice. its just hard teaching older dogs new stuff.
    the angle aspect is one thing about them that impresses me the most. just hold the thing on the barrel and it compensates
    for the angle. the very best things will probably never change however. they would be an experienced spotter behind the shooter,
    and if at all possible a spotter shot.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    the very best things will probably never change however. they would be an experienced spotter behind the shooter,
    and if at all possible a spotter shot.
    I couldn't agree more. For those of us whose long-range experience is (for me, very) limited, the ballistic calculators help to shorten the learning curve. But they'll never replace years of experience. I wish we all had access to the kind of practical-shooting heaven it sounds like you grew up with. Where I live, I have to travel 45 minutes just to be able to safely shoot 600 yds. 1000? 2 1/2 hrs away. I don't get much long range experience because of that. Seems to be that way for most folks these days.

RollinCoal24v
    Another option, although not an electronic program with a mathematical algorithm, is the accuracy 1st whiz wheel. I have 2 of these, I deployed with one and it never left my side. They are very accurate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    I couldn't agree more. For those of us whose long-range experience is (for me, very) limited, the ballistic calculators help to shorten the learning curve. But they'll never replace years of experience. I wish we all had access to the kind of practical-shooting heaven it sounds like you grew up with. Where I live, I have to travel 45 minutes just to be able to safely shoot 600 yds. 1000? 2 1/2 hrs away. I don't get much long range experience because of that. Seems to be that way for most folks these days.
    well first off i didnt grow up with it. beyond that i never had a close place to shoot distance either. neither did most others i know.
    if you have a place to shoot 600 within an hour drive your one of the lucky ones.
    realize that it wasent untill after ww2 that this type of hunting really got started. the reason then was the availibility of surplus optics by way of rangefinders and very very large military binnoculars. without those 2 items it would have never happened to the degree it did. thats still true today, those are still the most important items we have. most talk on these sites revolve around guns and various cartridges. fact is they really dont matter much so long as you have one. basicly almost any one. next we talk about scopes which dont matter much either so long as it works well and it can be dialed. there are also today many computer generated programs for giving the information we need for making the shot. they no doubt all work well and any one would suffice even tho there are personal favorites.
    but how many of us are confident we can see every shot that our buddy makes at say 1000 or more yards? because if you cant you shouldnt even be thinking about shooting that far. its the same as driving without headlights. any decent shooter can do it so long as he knows exactly where his last shot went. while hunting, first you gotta find it to shoot at it. thats something else never discussed.
    if you were to come to pa during buck season i could take you to visit quite a few other camps. they would all be long range hunters and you might be surprised by the fact that there is little gun talk.
    much of the talk will revolve around binoculars and mainly big ones.
    get a buddy and get good optics the rest is easy.
    Last edited by yobuck; 02-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.

MacDR
    Another vote for Strelock. On my desktop I use Point Blank. Dalan is promising an Android version soon but I understand developing for the Apple IOS is pricey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast