Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My New Wildcat 22 Cal

My New Wildcat 22 Cal

Hey wildcat fans, also known as gluttons for punishment, here is my latest version, it is a 22 Cal it starts life as a 6.5 X 55 swede, there is no pet name for this round, and I am not going to call it a 22 X 6.5 X 55 swede are you kidding me, so I have come up with the pet name the 22 ERODER fitting wouldn't you say, there are a lot of nice things about this round, 1st is 55 gr of powder capacity, 2nd Lapua brass for $70.00 per hundred, and 3rd no special dies, I ran the neck through a 243 WIN, then I ran the neck through a 22-250, both full length dies but only used the neck part, I had it throated for 77gr Sierra's, that combined with 50gr to 53gr of RL25 were looking at close to 4000FPS, a wildcat for the masses what more could you want, even though it's name says other wise, since I am going to be using RL25 and H1000 those are very slow burning powders, and only calls for 50gr unlike a magnums which call for 80gr to 100gr, so throat erosion will not be as bad as the name says, I would not be surprised if I creep up on 1000 shots before needing to be set back, well there it is, left to right other 22 cals I load 223AI, 22-250, 220 swift, and the 22 ERODER.

Dean

PS: once again thanks Jim at Apache gun works.

Last edited by scope eye; 02-06-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Luke45
    A 77 Sierra at 4000, wow that's a lazerbeam!

I can dig it, i do like this cartridge, but I think i may have to wait for a while and see how this works out for you.

Jim at Apache says he as done several, and even owns one himself, on the same note
    I am not doing a whole build around this wildcat or my Mach IV, I am going to put my 308 and 30-06
    on sabbatical and use them, and will use my 300 Win Mag if feel the need for a 30 cal,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Very tempting!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

dcloco
    Make this an AI.

Name? How about even & odd (22x55)?

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco View Post
    Make this an AI.

Name? How about even & odd (22x55)?
    or "TWO PAIR" if you play cards

[QUOTE=dcloco;241620]Make this an AI.

It does have a sharper degree shoulder, I had to run the die a bit deeper to get rid of the "donuts" where the neck and the shoulder transitioned, and it ended up taking some of the sharpness away, nothing a little fireforming wont cure, now that it is formed the next time I won't have to run the die so deep, a small trade off for being able to use standard off the shelf dies.

Dean

Basic Member
    Dean, when you "fire form" I'll bet every tool mark in the chamber shows up on the case!!!!!!!

"Just Sayin".............;-))

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Dean, when you "fire form" I'll bet every tool mark in the chamber shows up on the case!!!!!!!

"Just Sayin".............;-))
    Hey, I think I am being stereotyped, LOL

Dean

I gotta admit that is funny, no scratch that, it's hysterical.

Basic Member
    What would that case do with a 90 gr Berger?
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
    What would that case do with a 90 gr Berger?
    Why would it be anything less than awesome, it certainly holds enough powder to send it, where it can really make that HI BC shine, I bet you with a little load development, I could get those 90gr in the neighborhood of 3800FPS, I am eventually going to try it, can you imagine.

Dean

That is nuts, if you could get that why run anything else

Couple of questions for ya Dean cuz I am sure the folks at home would like to know.

1: What dies are you planning on doing your reloading with once they are formed?

2: What are the specs of your barrel? Twist, length, contour, etc.

3: Other than just being a Darn Cool wildcat Jim came up with, what do you feel this brings to the table over say a 22-06AI for example?

Just curious, not trying to rain on any parades or anything cuz I do think it will be tons of fun.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Couple of questions for ya Dean cuz I am sure the folks at home would like to know.

1: What dies are you planning on doing your reloading with once they are formed?

2: What are the specs of your barrel? Twist, length, contour, etc.

3: Other than just being a Darn Cool wildcat Jim came up with, what do you feel this brings to the table over say a 22-06AI for example?

Just curious, not trying to rain on any parades or anything cuz I do think it will be tons of fun.
    No problem Boots, OK here we go,

Dies a gutted full length 6.5 X 55 for the body and bumping the shoulder, and a 22BR for the neck,

Barrel Mcgowen 26" 9 twist heavy varmint small shank.

As far as an 06 base 22 cal, even with 10gr powder capacity it has over the swede, you could not take advantage of it, you might get 100 more FPS but severely reduce barrel life, I know I love speed but that is just a waste.

One of the things that sold me, was the Lapua brass it is around $70.00 per hundred, that's a bargain.

Dean

PS: If there is anything else feel free to ask.
    Last edited by scope eye; 03-07-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Barrel Mcgowen 26" 9 twist heavy varmint small shank.
    Wow, that's kind of a fast twist for you ain't it?

Jim has been trying to talk me into trying one of these for some time, but I have held off so far in favor of the 6mm stuff I have been working on. For a fast 224cal I was leaning more towards the 22-06 or AI just because I have been trying to lay into a supply of 25-06 brass for my 6-06 and kinda figured it would be simple to share one host for brass.

This "22 Eroder" would be simpler as I already have a 6.5x55 FL die to gut out, and plenty of different 22-250 dies to utilize, just don't have any 6.5x55 brass around the load shop. If brass is the only missing pc maybe I had better look closer at this. I will keep a keen eye out for your future findings, just don't make us wait too long.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Wonder how this would do in 6mm as opposed to .224?
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Wonder how this would do in 6mm as opposed to .224?
    As I was sizing the brass from 6.5 down to 22 cal, I brought it down to 6mm first by using my 243 dies, then I started looking at it and comparing it to a 243 win case side by side, and it is defiantly something to look into, it would be a step up performance wise over a 243AI,
    I bet you could get those 105 Amax's going 3400 to 3500 FPS, in a short action to boot NICE.

Dean

As I was sizing the brass from 6.5 down to 22 cal, I brought it down to 6mm first by using my 243 dies, then I started looking at it and comparing it to a 243 win case side by side, and it is defiantly something to look into, it would be a step up performance wise over a 243AI,
    I bet you could get those 105 Amax's going 3400 to 3500 FPS, in a short action to boot NICE.

Dean
    And that's exactly what I'm looking to spit them out at. What's your trim length at .224? And I wonder where the 6x55 is regarding case capacity vs. the 6Rem? It may have to be taken to AI before dropping to 6mm to get any advantage over the 6Rem.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 02-07-2014 at 11:46 PM.

And that's exactly what I'm looking to spit them out at. What's your trim length at .224? And I wonder where the 6x55 is regarding case capacity vs. the 6Rem? It may have to be taken to AI before dropping to 6mm to get any advantage over the 6Rem.
    As far as case length, I trimmed them back to original size 2.165", and as far as case capacity, it holds 55gr of powder.

Dean

PS: Boots another reason I did not go with an 06 based cartridge, is I wanted a short action, I must be getting old

That's about what the 6mm AI holds powder-wise, and it pushes a 70 close to 4000. With the additional .05 neck length of the 6mm, you're able to get just a tad more usable powder space in your wildcat. The 6AI trims out to about .07 longer, so the x55 has more room to seat longer bullets in the mag box. I see some good benefits with the x55 wildcat. I sent Jim a pm asking him what he thought about a 6x55, we'll see what he has to say. I just may have to go that route instead of the 6AI.

That's about what the 6mm AI holds powder-wise, and it pushes a 70 close to 4000. With the additional .05 neck length of the 6mm, you're able to get just a tad more usable powder space in your wildcat. The 6AI trims out to about .07 longer, so the x55 has more room to seat longer bullets in the mag box. I see some good benefits with the x55 wildcat. I sent Jim a pm asking him what he thought about a 6x55, we'll see what he has to say. I just may have to go that route instead of the 6AI.

At the risk of repeating myself, don't forget the Lapua brass, that was a big factor for me anyways.

Dean

PS: I don't know what the max length, I could have gotten away with, but with after I finished sizing them they were 2.180" so I trimmed them to 2.165"

At the risk of repeating myself, don't forget the Lapua brass, that was a big factor for me anyways.
    Dean
    good point!

I see this has attracted some attention!!!

This is one that I did quite some time ago and have always liked. I did a short write up on it in my website.

As Dean has said.....it's the Lapua brass that gives this wildcat it's legs.

The actual case capacity is within 2 grains of the 6mm Remington AI after being fire formed....but by using the Lapua brass it has several advantages over the Remington that it's worth while to me.

The wheels are now in motion.......
    Brass is ordered, and dies are on their way.
    Dean, are you running this on the short, or the long action?
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 02-09-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Found dies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast