Thread: 12VLP vs 12BVSS

Basic Member

12VLP vs 12BVSS

What's the difference? Only thing I see is the stock. The BVSS has more of a pistol grip than the VLP does.
    Is that what makes the VLP "very low profile"? I'm wanting to use this rifle for mid range F/TR in .308.
    Specs for barrel length and twist are the same...26/10 Would one be better than the other for prone shooting F/TR?
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

maxl
    The bvss has a blind centerfeed mag, the vlp has a dbm I have 2 bvss's and they both shoot very well I chose the bvss over the vlp because I wanted the bvss stock for shooting off bench and I 'm not crazy about dbm I like blind mags

The older VLP have Blind Staggered feed magazines, I have two of them, a 112VLP LA and a 12VLP SA. I LOVE my VLP's!

You can find several older VLP's on Gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    The bvss has a blind centerfeed mag, the vlp has a dbm
    Wrong! They made VLP's in both staggerfeed and centerfeed styles, and also in both blind mag and dbm......

The stock is the only difference in materials between the factory models. Of course if youre looking for used ones then there could be many differences being how easy Savages are to swap parts on.

For me the bvss stock would be better for prone shooting cause I like the vertical grip better for that. For everything else id rather have the VLP stock. However, everyone has their own taste so yours may differ.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Oh, the only other difference I can think of between the two is the bvss also came in short and long action, therefore having more caliber options(like 25-06, 300wm, etc)

The vlp("Varmint Low Profile") came only as a short action in varmint calibers(204,223,22-250,243)
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

maxl
    I was refering to current models,I was assuming the op was looking for new not used , I did not realize you can still get the centerfeed VLP,if its still available I need to order one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    I was refering to current models,I was assuming the op was looking for new not used , I did not realize you can still get the centerfeed VLP,if its still available I need to order one.
    Correct, looking for new. I decided on the BVSS, solely because of the more vertical grip. I don't really care about the mag differences as I'll be single loading this rifle anyway. Now the long 3-7 day wait for Buds to ship it.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

The VLP did at one time come in a long action blind mag. At least my 25-06 mod. 112 VLP did.

The vlp("Varmint Low Profile") came only as a short action in varmint calibers(204,223,22-250,243)

FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow