Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster at the range today

Big Boo Boo at the range today

No injuries or exploding firearms--but an expensive mishap nonetheless.

After a layoff of load development during the hunting season--I spent much of last week prepping and reloading for my 6.8 spc rifle in the quest of finding an effective hunting load that can also group MOA or less.

I meticulously researched and measured everything and developed large ladder test batches for 5 different bullets. Finally finishing everything I was looking forward to a long day of hopefully finding the sweet spot for the different bullets. So I jumped in my car and drove up the winding mountain road to the local range and get everything set up.

Upon getting my ammo boxes out--imagine my shock and chagrin when I opened them up and there was just a jumbled mass of mixed-up cartridges! Somehow my range bag must have rolled around in the back of the car--though in many years of doing this it has never happened before. I am now going to cut small foam squares to fit atop the cartridges inside the ammo boxes.
    Last edited by thermaler; 02-06-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

n4ue
    Not good. Are you going to pull the bullets and start over??

Only thing like this that ever happened to me a LONG time ago while working up loads for my 243. I found a combo that shot great, but the piece of paper in the ammo box 'disappeared'. I rediscovered the combo.
    Now, every piece of paper with loading info gets 'double side taped' inside the lid.

I need to post pictures of the zero cost bullet pullers I made. I recently had to pull a bunch of .223s and this tool is very fast and does not even mark the bullets......

ron

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Not good. Are you going to pull the bullets and start over??

Only thing like this that ever happened to me a LONG time ago while working up loads for my 243. I found a combo that shot great, but the piece of paper in the ammo box 'disappeared'. I rediscovered the combo.
    Now, every piece of paper with loading info gets 'double side taped' inside the lid.

I need to post pictures of the zero cost bullet pullers I made. I recently had to pull a bunch of .223s and this tool is very fast and does not even mark the bullets......

ron
    And now for the rest of the story... : )

I was contemplating a day or more of banging away with the bullet "pullers" but it occurred to me that I would either go crazy or break the pullers since I put a healthy crimp on all my reloads. A few now and then is OK--but over a 100 at once?

Since I load inside min/max ends of the recommended load ranges anyway I decided to go for it while keeping an eye on the cases with each shot. Of course there is almost nothing to be gained by this but did observe a couple of interesting things anyway. I loaded many different bullets from 95 gr TSX's up to 130 gr ballistic tips. predictably most shots landed randomly--but of all the "random load shots" the 130 gr ballistic tips and speer 130 boat tails seemed to stay together the best regardless of the powder charge weights. Not sure what, if anything, that indicates. What makes it interesting to me is that the industry is steering away from bullet weights that are not in the 100 to 115 gr weight range. A recent visit to the SSA website does not show any of their hot 6.8 factory ammo--not sure why that is.

PS--I tried using Tula small rifle magnum primers for the first time with x-terminator/A2230--seemed to work great in terms of ignition.
    Last edited by thermaler; 02-06-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    As much as I hate to say it, that's not a disaster, that's pretty funny. I recall when my carry cart tumbled in the back of my truck & I had cartridges everywhere.
    I was kinda sorta PO'ed BUT....

I always write on each case a) the charge & b) I number each reloading of all calibers.
    Too easy to get things mixed up when you show up at the range with 5 calibers, 4 rifles & a whole butt load of ammo.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I'm going to do the same thing I don't like them rattling around in the boxes. I go down about six miles of ranch road to get to the range.

6. 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Reason
    Unfortunate accident: Please refer to emtrescue6's next post.

7. 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM
    Reason

Having had the same thing happen to me a few years ago I started using different color Sharpie markers on the head stamp of the brass. Each load has it's own color.

9. 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM
    Reason

10. 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
    Reason

Basic Member
    Yep! When doing load development, the "Sharpie" can be my best friend! ;-))

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Yep! When doing load development, the "Sharpie" can be my best friend! ;-))
    Yeah I sharpie my cases.

I always use a black sharpie to label charge weight on each case
    I most always use same bullet -
    but they should be visible even if you use more than one type for a load test
    ALLWAYS label the boxes date loaded -charge weight -powder -primer-bullet - type -ALLWAYS
    still things can happen - but at least we have attempted to record & separate

Basic Member
    Yea I number each case and put the corresponding id sheet in the box so I won't forget. We all need our own personalized FUBAR-Proof system.

Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    I always use a black sharpie to label charge weight on each case
    I most always use same bullet -
    but they should be visible even if you use more than one type for a load test
    ALLWAYS label the boxes date loaded -charge weight -powder -primer-bullet - type -ALLWAYS
    still things can happen - but at least we have attempted to record & separate
    I tried the sharpie method once on the bullets but couldn't tell the impacts apart reliably--so I gave up on that. If you use a sharpie on the case itself--doesn't that add a hassle to cleaning prepping for the next (different) load?

you use a sharpie on the case itself--doesn't that add a hassle to cleaning prepping for the next (different) load? -wipes right off with alcohol on a rag -or in wet ss media in a tumbler
    I ALSO use rubber bands around each box , once bitten twice shy

dcloco
    Sharpie on the case. Comes off if you tumble or clean with any method. If you neck size only, sharpie wipes off with a touch of alcohol.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Sharpie marker comes right off when I spin the brass & clean it with a piece of steel wool.
    Acetone works real quick & easy, too and you don't have to worry about any residue.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Definitely will sharpie the cases next time; doesn't seem to be any downside to it.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Excuse me? If you have something to say--by all means say it!
    I want to apologize for my errant post...it was operator error and was not intended for this thread...I was using talk to text and had my Ipad and iPhone both open in different conversations and the message intended for my brother landed here....sorry, no offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I want to apologize for my errant post...it was operator error and was not intended for this thread...I was using talk to text and had my Ipad and iPhone both open in different conversations and the message intended for my brother landed here....sorry, no offense intended.
    Sorry I misunderstood--all is good, I learned how to prevent a stupid mistake (hopefully).

thomae
    emtrescue6 and I communicated by PM.
    I believe his words when he states that his original post was an honest mistake as he said in his apology in the thread. I have deleted all other posts having to do with his original post and he assures me that it will never happen again.

If any other forum members were offended by his post, I ask that you forgive him just as you would like to be forgiven for your mistakes.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Good thing you caught it before the thread police did, lol. Another ban so soon would not have been a good thing!

I've only had one incident with the ammo disaster, happened the same way it did to Frank. Luckily they all contained the same powder, with different bullets and lengths. I pulled them all down and started over, after a trip to the range that consisted of 0 rounds down range.

i was offended....

Not really, I lmao when I read the explanation.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Thermaler- do yourself a favor and get the Hornady press mounted bullet puller with the appropriate sized collets. You can quickly and easily break down any ammo, even crimped, with no damage to the bullet or case, and zero frustration. It will make you want to throw away your kinetic bullet "puller". I did with a smile. Always hated that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Thermaler- do yourself a favor and get the Hornady press mounted bullet puller with the appropriate sized collets. You can quickly and easily break down any ammo, even crimped, with no damage to the bullet or case, and zero frustration. It will make you want to throw away your kinetic bullet "puller". I did with a smile. Always hated that thing.
    Or the same in the RCBS version. Very nice for pulling bullets, and you can use it to reseat the bullets at the same length for simple things like checking charge weights.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I sharpie the charge and use flip top boxes so ammo can't come out. I box each powder variety seperate and put masking tape on the box with the info.

Sorry to hear about your mess..

emtrescue6
    I've never had an ammo disaster, but I have had my fair share of disasters...LOL

I will definitely get a higher quality puller--I hate the kinetic bang hammer.

Basic Member
    MTM Caseguard is your friend. I label my loads with scotch tape and a pen on the outside of the case for each row. Hey Therm, you will really enjoy the pull with either the RCBS or Hornady collet pullers. No bullet damage and slick as snot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast