Thread: Cold bore inaccuracy with Savage 93FVSS

Trey45

Cold bore inaccuracy with Savage 93FVSS

Let me preface this with the following. I have checked scope base screws for tightness, scope rings for tightness, tried 3 scopes to make sure I dont have wandering reticle syndrome. I have ensured action screws are tight, but not overly tight. The barrel is not touching the stock, but I haven't glass bedded the action yet, that may be next depending on what I can find out here.

When I take a cold bore shot with this rifle, it hits 3" left and 1" high at 50 yards. A few more shots and it centers itself up to where I have the crosshairs, and can keep a sub moa group once the barrel is warmed up. Fouling the barrel is probably out of the equation too since I rarely clean the barrel except for dragging a bore snake through it. What's going on here? This is the only rifle I have that throws the first shot like this, and then shoots good groups afterwards? Is glass bedding my next step to try and cure this? If it makes any difference, this is a pre accutrigger 93FVSS. Plain Jane black plastic stock. Have i taken all the correct steps to rule out the variables? What should I be doing next to correct this issue? Also, have any of you experienced a similar incident with one of these, or another rifle, and what steps did you take to correct this situation? I know there's a lot of questions here, but I'm running out of ideas and frustration is beginning to take hold. Thanks for listening

Basic Member

Re: Cold bore inaccuracy with Savage 93FVSS

could be a "normal" cold bore thing, my mkii f goes 3" low and 1" right on the first round, my .308 is 2" high and 1" left

a pre accutrigger is usually around 6lbs 6oz. you can be pushing it off target also.

try a dry fire or two on an empty case to get the "feel" back, then try it for real and see if your still getting the 1st shot off the same as before.

if it turns out to be a cold bore thing that puts the round in the same place consistantly, note it, and compensate for it every time on the first round.
    a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses....

ghostdog662

Have you asked anyone else to shoot it?

Trey45

Many people have shot it, it is cold bore inaccuracy. I've decided to bed the rifle.

Basic Member

please let me know how that worked out, i'm thinking of doing it with mine.
    a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses....