Thread: Heavy for caliber vs light for caliber barrel life.

Luke45

Heavy for caliber vs light for caliber barrel life.

Ive shot alot in my life , but i've mostly used mild mannered hunting cartridges (30-06, 223, 308, 22, ect) and ive usually sold the guns and bought others before barrel burn out occurred. So my question is in a relatively hot cartridge, say a 7 mag, or 280 ack, or 6.5 x 284, 243 ect- is the barrel life better using a heavier longer for caliber bullet at a lower velocity or a faster shorter bullet?

Example- 6.5x284 123@3250 vs 140@2900 ? 1-8 twist
    - 243 55 gr @ 4000fps vs 105 @ 2900? 1-8
    - 7 mag 130Gr @ 3300 vs 180 @ 2900? 1-9

Or is there a happy medium? my initial thoughs are a faster bullet will wear out a barrel faster, but a heavy bullet also has to have a faster twist and has more contact with the barrel since it was longer so im not sure. So what do you guys think who have burned out multiple barrels? is there a difference or a happy medium?

Hey Luke, as our resident barrel burner on this forum, I can tell you that a hot load with a light bullet, is a lot less harder on a barrel than one with a heavy bullet, same with a slower twist easier on a barrel than one with a fast twist , from my findings I think it has to do with dissipating pressure, which a light bullet and slow twist will do, don't try to build a rig that tries to do every thing it just never works out.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Not being an expert, may I say this. Pushing a heavier bullet is moving more mass, which may expose the barrel throat to greater heat for a longer period of time???? But basically, I think barrel wear is a function of how much powder is pushing what size bullet down it's corresponding hole????

Thanks ;-))........Jim

Edit: I was posting @ the same time as "scope", and I defer to him! ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Not being an expert, may I say this. Pushing a heavier bullet is moving more mass, which may expose the barrel throat to greater heat for a longer period of time???? But basically, I think barrel wear is a function of how much powder is pushing what size bullet down it's corresponding hole????

Thanks ;-))........Jim

That pretty much sums it up.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    You know, to my way of thinking, we shouldn't call it "Overbore"?

It's really "Underbore" ????????? ;-((

Luke45
    Thanks alot for the opinions guys. So if i loaded up a couple hundred 55 gr 243 bullets @4000 fps out of my 1-8 243 (Just to explode prairie dogs) i shouldnt expect much difference in barrel wear or worry about burning up my barrel with 4000+fps? i usually use 95 gr berger vlds @3050

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Thanks alot for the opinions guys. So if i loaded up a couple hundred 55 gr 243 bullets @4000 fps out of my 1-8 243 (Just to explode prairie dogs) i shouldnt expect much difference in barrel wear or worry about burning up my barrel with 4000+fps? i usually use 95 gr berger vlds @3050
    The 55gr bullets will not likely hold together at 4000FPS, that is 360,000 RPM the copper jackets are to thin on varmint rounds, 3500-3600 FPS at best will be the max you can push them, that is 315,000 to 320,000 RPM.

Dean

Luke45
    Awesome thanks Dean! you saved me a head ache, im usually a heavy bullet guy becasue of wind, but i like some short range prairie dog explosions sometimes haha

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    top performance with heavier bullets requires even slower burning powders, which means even more powder ends up burning in the throat instead of the case, meaning faster erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    The 55gr bullets will not likely hold together at 4000FPS, that is 360,000 RPM the copper jackets are to thin on varmint rounds, 3500-3600 FPS at best will be the max you can push them, that is 315,000 to 320,000 RPM.

Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    If you are looking for a laser type load, 42gr of Varget or 44gr CFE 223 and a 40gr Vmax, both produce speeds of well over 4400 FPS, with no bullet drop until past 400 yards, and are devastating on anything with fur.

Dean
    Dean,
    Aren't you contradicting yourself here? I'm only asking because I just loaded up 50 rounds of test loads 55gr Nosler/243 AI
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Dean,
    Aren't you contradicting yourself here? I'm only asking because I just loaded up 50 rounds of test loads 55gr Nosler/243 AI
    The load data I gave you, was taking in consideration that you have an 8 twist barrel ,
    the load data I was referring to in that other post, that rig was sporting a 12 twist barrel,
    which is 50% slower twist rate, as far as barrel rifling goes that is a world of difference,
    at the same 4000FPS rate your bullet in an 8 twist barrel is spinning 360,000RPM,
    oppose to 240,000 RPM with the 12 twist, respectively.

Dean

So would the 6mm/55gr hold up at 4000 with a 9.25:1 twist? Or will it be right on the edge?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

It should hold up, it will right on they edge, if ever they do vaporize exiting the barrel, just start reducing your loads 1gr at a time, until they start holding together, even if you end up at lets say 3925FPS that is still an devastating load.

Dean

Great question:
    My take?.......... The faster the speed the hotter or more propellant being used to push what ever weight of bullet equals shortened barrel life.
    I developed a hotter load to get some speed to reach out to distance without the use of a 20 MOA base. I also developed a lighter load for shorter distances.
    I know I havent worn my barrel out but am quick to admitt that Im scratching the tigers nuts and just begging for premature barrel wear.
    Ive since installed the 20 moa base and am running lighter loads................course it always helps when you have more than one Savage to play with.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}