Thread: Speer Boolit Statement- Curious Minds Wants to Know...

Speer Boolit Statement- Curious Minds Wants to Know...

Learning more and more about reloading and developing some really decent loads for my .223 Rem. and .308 Win.

I recently bought a partial box of .224 Speer 55 Gr. Hollow Point "TNT's for my .223. Speer states on the bottom front of the box "Designed for 22-250 Rem. and 220 Swift Cartridges". Why they say this? I know they will work in my .223; but why optimized for 22-250 and 220 Swift. Do they expand in these calibers better? I imagine any optimization is internal but being relatively new, I just don't know. Thanks for any insight....

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

They don't have a lot of "bearing surface" and need more velocity to compensate. that is going by they old school thought, when most 223 came with 12 twists.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Luke45
    normal speer .223 cal TNT bullets have a velocity limit of 3400. if you load them higher, speer says thay may come apart in air. If the box says made for 22-250 and 220 swift, im assuming it means its a special TNT that was made to have a higher threshold velocity. so a TNT made for a 22-250 may not be quite as explosive in a 223, just get the standard TNT bullets that have 3400 fps limit, it should say right on the box.

the Ranger
    thicker jacket probably, may not open up as real well at lower speeds. I'd save them for paper punchin' loads. should shoot just fine.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    thicker jacket probably, may not open up as real well at lower speeds. I'd save them for paper punchin' loads. should shoot just fine.
    +1 to this

what is the twist rate of your barrel?
    this is a consideration too.
    on the TnT with the 3400 fps limit they also say on the box for twist rate 1:10 or slower.

INTERESTING! Thanks fellas! My .223 is an early 90s model. Believe it or not, it is a 1:14 twist! For a long time I thought it was a 1:12 which I guess was pretty standard at one time. But a local reputable smith told me it was a 1:14. Skeptical, I had just purchased a good cleaning rod. He told me what to do...and sure enough...

Having said that, with 50 and 55 Gn. bullets it is VERY accurate. I have not tried heavier bullets but was told that I'd need a 1:10 or better (faster) to stabilize the 60+ Gn. bullets.

I will keep those TNTs for paper punching. DRAT! Was hoping to blow up some little defenseless critters this spring with 'em! Oh well; I got a good stock of .224 V-max in 50 and 55 Grain bullets.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

I have a .223 1:12 twist that just loves the 50gn TNT. I have shot gobs of critters with them. Coyotes hate em, fur buyers love them. tiny little hole in with no exit. I can't remember ever having an exit hole, even on 2 bobcats.

Basic Member
    They have the need for speed!

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeShooter View Post
    I have a .223 1:12 twist that just loves the 50gn TNT. I have shot gobs of critters with them. Coyotes hate em, fur buyers love them. tiny little hole in with no exit. I can't remember ever having an exit hole, even on 2 bobcats.
    GOOD TO KNOW! I'm planning on doing some predator hunting as the weather gets better. I only have 49 of these bullets- bought a partial. IF I get a good quick load development on 'em, I may pick off a groundhog just to see how they preform. Thanks for the info!

Brian

no problem