Thread: Balance beam scales

Dalriada

Balance beam scales

Hi folks , whats the best and most reliable balance beam scales on the market today?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I have a RCBS 505 I found brand new in the box for $25. It's since become my favorite. The LEE cheapo plastic scale is as accurate as the RCBS.
    Both have been reliable & consistent right down to .2gr...

I suppose anything made by Ohaus is a good bet. More or less.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 02-04-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    fwg_in_fla, I'm glad to hear your endorsement of the LEE scale. I like mine and have never seen a need to replace it. We can always pay more money but it doesn't always insure better results. That's a big reason why I like Savage! ;-))

Thanks........Jim

Me two on the Ohaus scale by RCBS, not sure that there is a member on this form that will rebuild your scale for you make it better

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    fwg_in_fla, I'm glad to hear your endorsement of the LEE scale. I like mine and have never seen a need to replace it. We can always pay more money but it doesn't always insure better results. That's a big reason why I like Savage! ;-))

Thanks........Jim
    For what it's worth to ya, I compared charge weights from .2gr to 50.5gr and a bunch in between. My 505 & my Lee were exactly the same across the board.
    I use my Lee for charge checking pistol loads & the 505 for everything else. The only time I had a problem with the Lee was when it got knocked off the bench & hit the deck. I had to replace the beam with one that I got from somebody here onsite.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    That's worth a lot to me and thanks for passing it on!.......Jim

the Ranger
    the LEE works great for me. my only issue is that it only goes to about 110gr. so I added a cheap digital scale for those few times I want to weigh a bullet or case or something like that.

82boy
    Most people would agree that the Ohaus made for RCBS 10/10 scale is the Cadillac of beam scales. There are folks out there that can take these scales and work them down to weight individual grains of powder.

Which ever you get be sure it has magnetic dampening, that will save you a lot of frustration!

Basic Member
    RCBS 505 OR 1010.
    I've had my 505 for 36 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    For what it's worth to ya, I compared charge weights from .2gr to 50.5gr and a bunch in between. My 505 & my Lee were exactly the same across the board.
    I use my Lee for charge checking pistol loads & the 505 for everything else. The only time I had a problem with the Lee was when it got knocked off the bench & hit the deck. I had to replace the beam with one that I got from somebody here onsite.
    Funny you mention it--yesterday I witnessed a shooting in my neighborhood (guy got hit with 45 acp at point blank and took off running faster than a deer!) and in the excitement I accidentally knocked my Lee balance beam hard enough to dislodge the plastic cheapo beam off which snapped on impact when it hit the floor.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    It is not a "cheapo" beam! It is a "bargin" beam!

Just My Arrogant Opinion ;-)).........Thanks........Jim

clovishound
    I have a Lee scale. It works, and is accurate. It is also a pain to use. Much of this is just par for the course for beam scales. I'm sure some are easier to use than others. I finally picked up a small electronic scale, and never looked back. I checked it against the beam scale a bunch, when I first got it. It is accurate as well. Makes weighing loads for trying new combos easy. Tare the case, dump the powder into the case, and then weigh the case again. If the weight is good the case goes directly back to the press. No dumping, weighing and then dumping into the case.

I have an RCBS Chargemaster - that I only use the scales.

I checked the scale several times against a RCBS 505 beam scale and now rely only on the electronic one.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    in the excitement I accidentally knocked my Lee balance beam hard enough to dislodge the plastic cheapo beam off which snapped on impact when it hit the floor.
    atleast you won't be wondering if it's still accurate. and you can buy a whole new scale for half the price of just a beam for any other scale. I believe you can get a replacement beam from LEE.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    atleast you won't be wondering if it's still accurate. and you can buy a whole new scale for half the price of just a beam for any other scale. I believe you can get a replacement beam from LEE.
    Yeah--no complaints about the accuracy, I have an electronic but I just don't trust it to give me accurate readings all the time.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    still using the reading i bought my father for xmas in the early 50s.
    see no need for another. a pc of thin cardboard under the beam works well as a dampener.