Thread: Need help identifying this Cocking Piece Pin

Need help identifying this Cocking Piece Pin

I was picking up some spare parts and bought this pin which was described as fitting a 110. Here is a picture of a 110 pin on the right and the new pin I just received on the left. As you can see, it is longer and the head is thinner. Could this be for a Savage shotgun perhaps?

Werewolf
    The pin on the left is for an older 10 or 110 bolt that is the same diameter for its full length. Newer bolts have a smaller diameter shank at the cocking ramp and the extra thickness on the new pin takes up the slack in the action. I don't think they are interchangeable.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The pin on the left is for an older 10 or 110 bolt that is the same diameter for its full length. Newer bolts have a smaller diameter shank at the cocking ramp and the extra thickness on the new pin takes up the slack in the action. I don't think they are interchangeable.
    Please look closely. Neither of the bolts in the photo are the same diameter the whole length of the shaft.

Edit: Dang, whenever I don't pay attention, I don't say what I mean. What I meant is that the shaft of the cocking piece pins is not the same diameter...
    Last edited by thomae; 02-07-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Please look closely. Neither of the bolts in the photo are the same diameter the whole length of the shaft.
    I believe he was referring to the actual bolt body and not the bolt pins in this description. Comparing this bolt body to a new one I can see what he's referring to. Hopefully I can put this new pin to good use!

Basic Member
    I'm not sure but the cocking piece pin on the left was used on earlier bolt bodies that were the full diameter end to end. The one on the right are those used on the newer undercut bodies. The height of the "head" was made thicker(higher) to compensate for the depth of the cut to engage the sear.

Bill

Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I've got an older receiver with the older style bolt coming in, it's missing the pin so this new pin should take care of that.

thomae
    Ok, all clear and understood. That makes sense that the thicker head is for the bolt with the narrower part. Sorry I misread things and caused confusion. Apparently I was the only one confused.