Hi Good Folks- well, besides becoming obsessed with Savage rifles in general, I've really become obsessed with my MK II Classic .22LR. I've been shooting the e-mail matches and let me tell ya, that new target is a TRIP...in a good way! I drilled the little black "dot of death" twice (did you know that sucker only measures .2385" according to my digital caliper?), but NOT on the same target and BOTH times I threw a shot outside the line on the 30 point circle....

Yeah...I'm having a ball.

SO...I opened up the barrell channel just to make sure the barrel is truly free floated, the stock, OEM thumbhole, is bedded. What else can I do to wring out the maximum accuracy from this gun? It shoots groups VERY well- usually 1/4 to 1/3rd inch if I'm doing my part. But this new target requires precise single shot placement. Did I mention that little black "dot of death"...?

I'm a little confused about the action screw torque. I read here that the SOP is to torque the front screw to 15 inch-pounds, then start the rear screw at 5 pounds and increase by 5 pounds, shooting 5 shot groups at each setting (5..10..15...pounds), till I find the sweet spot. Is this correct or does someone else have another method?

Would it help to pillar bed in addition to the skim bedding already done to the stock?

I know I could have the gun re-barreled, but cost would prohibit that at this point and the gun shoots well otherwise...

I did order some match ammo. The rifle likes the Eley Target and my vintage Western R-22 as long as I measure the rims and the OAL and sort accordingly.

I like my scope- Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9; however, for precision shooting I do wish it had 1/8th clicks at 50 yards rather than 1/4" clicks. Does such a scope exist? I would guess if it does, it'll cost a bundle.

Anyway- thanks for any and all input. As always I appreciate it...
Brian