Thread: Wringing All Accuracy Possible Out of MK II Classic .22LR- Question

Wringing All Accuracy Possible Out of MK II Classic .22LR- Question

Hi Good Folks- well, besides becoming obsessed with Savage rifles in general, I've really become obsessed with my MK II Classic .22LR. I've been shooting the e-mail matches and let me tell ya, that new target is a TRIP...in a good way! I drilled the little black "dot of death" twice (did you know that sucker only measures .2385" according to my digital caliper?), but NOT on the same target and BOTH times I threw a shot outside the line on the 30 point circle....

Yeah...I'm having a ball.

SO...I opened up the barrell channel just to make sure the barrel is truly free floated, the stock, OEM thumbhole, is bedded. What else can I do to wring out the maximum accuracy from this gun? It shoots groups VERY well- usually 1/4 to 1/3rd inch if I'm doing my part. But this new target requires precise single shot placement. Did I mention that little black "dot of death"...?

I'm a little confused about the action screw torque. I read here that the SOP is to torque the front screw to 15 inch-pounds, then start the rear screw at 5 pounds and increase by 5 pounds, shooting 5 shot groups at each setting (5..10..15...pounds), till I find the sweet spot. Is this correct or does someone else have another method?

Would it help to pillar bed in addition to the skim bedding already done to the stock?

I know I could have the gun re-barreled, but cost would prohibit that at this point and the gun shoots well otherwise...

I did order some match ammo. The rifle likes the Eley Target and my vintage Western R-22 as long as I measure the rims and the OAL and sort accordingly.

I like my scope- Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9; however, for precision shooting I do wish it had 1/8th clicks at 50 yards rather than 1/4" clicks. Does such a scope exist? I would guess if it does, it'll cost a bundle.

Anyway- thanks for any and all input. As always I appreciate it...
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

SIGH....OK can anyone at least tell me if I'm on the right track with the action screw torque adjustment scheme? Thanks...
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

ejk24
    The torque sequence you mention should be a good starting point . Pick an ammo that your gun prefers and then fine tune it . When shooting for the tiny groups you are after, shooter repetition doing the same thing consistently over and over with your hold and breathing technique is the big factor . A target scope with fine cross hairs would be nice . The Mueller Target Dot 8x32x44mm AO is a decent entry level scope for not a lot of money .

Matt99
    I would def pillar bed as well. DIP bottom metal and a sloped scope mount. The 1/8" are usually on higher mag scopes for LR shooting.

This is my fav budget scope
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598...-reticle-matte

Basic Member
    I'd do two or three pound increments on the action screws. As mentioned a good heavy bottom metal and definitely an Apachee trigger kit. I have a Mueller 4.5-14 X 40 APT, mil dot with a fine cross hair. It'll focus down to 7 yards. I have a Konus 6.5-25 X 44 ordered for long range.

Sinkhole
    Just to clarify for you. A scope with 1/4 MOA per click turrets = 1/4" @ 100yds. At 50 yrds 1/4 MOA (1 Click) = 1/8" and at 25yds = 1/16". MOA is an angle and does not change.

Example: if you need to make a 2" adjustment @ 50 yards that will equal 4 MOA (16 clicks) That same 2" adjustment at 25yrds is 8 MOA (32 clicks) and at 200yds it would equal 1 MOA (4 clicks)

Matt99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    Just to clarify for you. A scope with 1/4 MOA per click turrets = 1/4" @ 100yds. At 50 yrds 1/4 MOA (1 Click) = 1/8" and at 25yds = 1/16". MOA is an angle and does not change.

Example: if you need to make a 2" adjustment @ 50 yards that will equal 4 MOA (16 clicks) That same 2" adjustment at 25yrds is 8 MOA (32 clicks) and at 200yds it would equal 1 MOA (4 clicks)
    I didn't catch that he was only shooting at 50yd. This is correct, as most scopes will be 1/8 at 50

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post

True Dat..for most scopes. Mine is the Prostaff Rimfire BDC 150...1/4" clicks at 50 yards in this case...as per markings on the turrets. HOWEVER- being a person that the obvious escapes sometimes...a "normal" rifle scope is 1/4" at 100 yards...so...I could go with another riflescope- not one specifically made for rimfire. THANKS for making me think correctly...

Brian