Thread: My New Wildcat

My New Wildcat

It is a 6mm Mach IV, here it is beside my other 6mm rounds I load, 6BR, and a 243, and followed by a 6mm-06 AI, they are all loaded with a 70gr Sierra Blitzkings, in round numbers case capacity is 30, 50, 65, and 80gr of powder,

Here they are with a 55gr Nosler 5000+ FPS is inevitable, a 70gr blitzking 4600+FPS, a 105gr Amax 4100+FPS, and finally a 115gr Dtac I am sure I can hit 4000+FPS, should be fun the 55gr and 70gr will get a full case of RL22, and they Amax and the Dtac will get a full case of RL25.

Thanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 02-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I am looking forward to seeing the actual results of this. 6mm's going fast are just cool.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I want to see the round count when the barrel is done

Quote Originally Posted by calib View Post
    I want to see the round count when the barrel is done
    I am going to be able to set back the barrel at least three times, so even if it is only 700 rounds per set back which I know it will be more, that's over 2000 rounds, for a take no prisoners rig I'm all over that.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

For those wondering what a 6mm Mach IV is, it a 7mm Rem Mag necked down to 6mm, so basically it is a 6mm Rem Mag, folks should not be so obsessed with barrel round count, especially with savages, since setting it back is such an easy fix,

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    For those wondering what a 6mm Mach IV is, it a 7mm Rem Mag necked down to 6mm, so basically it is a 6mm Rem Mag, folks should not be so obsessed with barrel round count, especially with savages, since setting it back is such an easy fix,

Dean
    Well when building a overbore wildcat a lower round count is to be expected. When I had my 6WSM barrel built I had Jim turn a custom contour on it ( straight 1.055" for about 5.5" then taper down ) that way it could be set back quite a few times.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Will it be on a large shank or small shank? And what barrel contour and length will you use that you can do 3 set backs?

Thanks Dean! You Da Man!........Jim

Edit: I was posting @ the same time as "boots"

I can just imagine the vaporization of coyote innards with every shot.........

Im jealous, my lowly 243AI cowers in the corner.....

Tears run down it's stock....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

dcloco
    If you coat your bullets with Danzac/WS2 or HBN, your barrel life will increase quite a bit. Danzac/WS2 will attract water, but does not build up. HBN does not build up or attract water.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Will it be on a large shank or small shank? And what barrel contour and length will you use that you can do 3 set backs?

Thanks Dean! You Da Man!........Jim

Edit: I was posting @ the same time as "boots"
    It will be on a small shank, and it is a heavy varmint 26" even if you can only get two set backs that's a lot of shots.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco View Post
    If you coat your bullets with Danzac/WS2 or HBN, your barrel life will increase quite a bit. Danzac/WS2 will attract water, but does not build up. HBN does not build up or attract water.
    Thanks for the tip.

Dean

Basic Member
    I will take one for ground hogs.....all that would be left is there feet....one over here... one over there...here is one over here....lol

it would be fun, that is for sure.

There you go again scope, your ideas always getting me to thinking about more speed. I just wanna go fast! Sounds like an awesome round!
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

I like it!!!

As I am sitting here typing away, I am looking at this round, and it is really looks like a prop, like you can't take it seriously, I mean the 105gr Amax looks disproportion let alone the 55gr nosler or the 58gr Vmax, you gotta love a round that has 50% more powder than bullet weight, all I can do is chuckle every time I look at it, until I pull the trigger for the first time, then I will have to respect it.

Dean

Where did you find the dies? Can't wait for a range report!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Where did you find the dies? Can't wait for a range report!
    I found them directly at RCBS they had a full range of them full length, case forming, ect, they come out nicer with 264 win mag
    than they do with 7mm rem mag. as far as the range report another foot has just fallen, great just great.

Dean

Basic Member
    What are the chances they vaporize before leaving the barrel? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    What are the chances they vaporize before leaving the barrel? LOL
    I am no stranger to loads that hover in the 4000 to 5000 FPS range, it is second nature to me, and with the 12 twist I have it all covered, from 55gr to 115gr the 55gr loads are going to be spinning at 300,000 rpm at 5000 FPS, which is still in the safe zone and the 105Vmax's will be spinning at 240,000 rpm at 4000 fps, which is perfect. on the same note just wait until later this week, I have another juicy wildcat coming off the lathe. " thank God for tax returns" LOL

I can't thank enough, Jim at Apache gun works for making this happen, and for his great work and fast turnaround time, and most of all humoring me with my off the wall stunts.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 02-05-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Scope,

"Holy Mother of God", is all I can think to say. May have to put a new sub forum in here titled, "Scope Eyes Really Wild and Insane Wildcats Forum".

Can't your gunsmith just put a scroll knob on the side of the chamber so you can roll the throat up every 5th shot or so?

And I thought the 6-06 AI was overbore!

Well sounds like you're well experienced with these speeds and what to look out for (a 4000 fps DTAC?!).

Will be interesting to read your follow up reports, good luck!
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Well there is joy in mudville, I just finished up putting that 6mmMachIV barrel on an action, and buttoning everything up and everything looks ready to go, needless to say I can't wait, for those of you who may want to experience insanity also, now that I have figured this whole thing out, The biggest problem usually with wildcats are the dies, this is my solution for this chambering in particular, for full length sizing a Gutted 7mm Rem Mag or a 264 WinMag will work perfectly, and as far as the neck goes, a set of 243 WSSM dies worked out great, the shoulder is not exactly the same but it will chamber and then it will fireform itself, and after that it doesn't matter since it spaces of the belt, and the 243WSSM seating die that came with the set worked out well without any issues, so there you go, once again I can't thank Jim @ Apache gun works enough, any questions feel free to ask, my advise to would be wildcatters is, if you want to build something make sure of two things that the brass is readily available, and forming can be done also with readily available dies, even if you have to mix match them, because chasing obscure brass and ordering a set of custom dies "cost and wait time" with kill the fun out of that project real quick.

Dean

the Ranger
    .244 H&H SEI(Scope Eye Improved)?

actually a guy I work with says that his father had a rifle built in the 60's, I think, that was a .243 based on .264win mag case. he never knew much about the round or the gun his dad had built, but says they quickly found that the .243 bullets common to the era would just blow-up on the shoulder of a whitetail buck and not penetrate much. he was young when his dad died and the rifle went to his brother in-law who blew it up trying to load for it.

Nothing ever good comes out a story, when the words in laws are injected into it.

Dean