Thread: Bolt head question on compatibility

Bolt head question on compatibility

Currently, my short action 7mm WSM is using a bolt head for the fixed ejector. Can not stand it!

I want to swap out the bolt head with another magnum face w/ the plunger style ejector. No big deal right? MidwayUSA lists the long action bolt heads with the magnum face as not being compatible with the short action receivers.

Why? Is it something to do with the fixed ejector, cause that can be removed quite easily.

TIA

Re: Bolt head question on compatibility

yes, there is no slot in the bolt head for the standing ejector to pass through. You have a discontinued controlled round feed action
    you would have to remove your current ejector. I am not sure how they make current mag bolt heads for short action. with the current switch to push feed in WSMs it may now be a model that is a direct fit. If not you need to shorten the stem on a mag bolt head to match your short one.

push feed bolt heads...short action, long action, mod long action to fit short.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt009.jpg[/img]

fixed ejector bolt, note the slot. this is an early model 110, different extractor then used now.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Blue Avenger,

My situation is completely reversed with my boltheads.

The magnum faced bolthead w/ CRF on my SA has the shorter shaft, but the length of the lugs are longer. The newer bolthead has the longer shaft but the length of the lugs are shorter. I did not grind the shaft down on the new bolt, but I had to adjust for firing pin protusion. Granted the firing pin spring had a bit more tension on it than before, but the trigger is still pretty crisp. For gits and shiggles I may remove a couple of coils off the spring. Since the length of the bolt lugs are shorter on the new bolt, I had to re-set the headspace by screwing the barrel in a bit more. Seems to be all good.

L.H. Clark

My problem is having a 300 win Mag bolt head with a fixed ejector, and I am wanting to build a 260 or 6.5x55 so I need a .30-06 bolt head and would like the plunger type as well. All I have to do is remove the ejector in the action and replace the bolt head with the one I want correct? Nothing else will matter? I know that I have the small firing pin diameter but that should be no problem since most Savages are built using them now anywho right? ??? If anyone has any advice for me, I'm listening.......(please) Thanx