Thread: Are center feed Detachable Box Magazines caliber specific?

Basic Member

Are center feed Detachable Box Magazines caliber specific?

Are medium length (308 family) center feed DBM's caliber specific? I searched the forum but could not find the answer to the following questions;

Will a DBM that started life on a 308 rifle feed a 22-250?

Will A DBM that started life on a 308 rifle feed a 6BR?

Thanks,
    Keith

nhm16

Re: Are center feed Detachable Box Magazines caliber specific?

They are not caliber specific. However, certain cartridges don't lend themselves to magazine feeding, due to factors such as the amount of case taper, and therefore magazines may have to be modified to work.

Check out this article on how a guy in Belgium had to modify his AI magazines to reliably feed the 6BR:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek032.html

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nhm16
    They are not caliber specific. However, certain cartridges don't lend themselves to magazine feeding, due to factors such as the amount of case taper, and therefore magazines may have to be modified to work.

Check out this article on how a guy in Belgium had to modify his AI magazines to reliably feed the 6BR:
    They are INDEED caliber specific. The .308 will feed .243,7-08,.308. The 22-250 is a different type. The .223 will feed .223 and .204. The 6BR is a modified version of the .223. The WSM's are different also. Long actions have 2 versions ,standard and magnum.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by nhm16

They are INDEED caliber specific. The .308 will feed .243,7-08,.308. The 22-250 is a different type. The .223 will feed .223 and .204. The 6BR is a modified version of the .223. The WSM's are different also. Long actions have 2 versions ,standard and magnum.

Are the followers the same on the .243/7MM-08/308, the .22-250, and the WSM's? It would be logical to say that the follower would be different with the .223, but how about the others? How many different follower types are there for the new centerfeed short action calibers?

Basic Member

Fred,

Appreciate the info on the different DBM's.

PS - Loving the two actions that you T&T'ed for me last year.

Keith

Basic Member

The followers for the .308 and 22-250 are the same, the WSM is different.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

brasse
    sharpshooter has the best knowledge on magazines, so we need his help. Many of us AR15 shooters who shoot the 6.8 SPC II also now have Savage rifles in 6.8 SPC.

The biggest problem with a Savage bolt rifle in 6.8 SPC has been getting the magazine to work. I cheated with my blind magazine Savage 6.8 by using a single shot follower.

But I still want to get my other Savage 6.8 SPC II hunting rifle to shoot more than one bullet out of the DBM. The problem has been the 223 magazine lips are too narrow and the 308 lips too wide. Additionally the 308 magazine is way too long and needs a spacer.

When you put a spacer in the rear of the magazine then the lips are real short.

I was looking at the 6 MM BR DBM that Savage produced for a couple of years, can't find a photo of this rare beast. But the 6 MM BR is a short cartridge like the 6.8. It could be an answer.

Another idea came from another web site loading the 6 MM BR into a 308 mag. But instead of putting the spacer in the rear, they put the spacer in the front. That leaves the curled lips the full length.

Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    I was looking at the 6 MM BR DBM that Savage produced for a couple of years, can't find a photo of this rare beast.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...tainless-steel
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

brasse
    That Midway photo got me interested in using the 6 BR magazine. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at that photo and the one for the 204-223 Centerfeed. They look close, but the 6 BR lips look tapered toward the front, and the follower from the side looks tilted down towards the front.

Need a photo from the top.

From some 6 BR sites they state the 6 BR will not feed from a staggered feed mag, only from a centerfeed. Like the 6 BR the 6.8 SPC is short and medium fat, not like the WSMs but thicker than the 223.

I wonder did savage ever offer the 30 Remington? That is the parent brass for the 6.8.