Thread: Model 10 5R 11:25 twist loads

Model 10 5R 11:25 twist loads

Ive asked this question before but didnt get not 1 reply. Be as it may....it was about 1 yr ago I asked and "hopefully" by now, theres other (Model 10 FCP HS 24" 1-11.25 twist, 5R Mil Spec) users out there.
    If so?......what load/loads gave you the best results.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Chambered in .308 Win??

correct
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Up to 150/155grn pills should serve you well. Varget, IMR4064, RL15 are good powder choices to get you going.

Good Luck-Good Shooting........Jim

I have the Remington version of this rifle (please don't beat me up too bad). H-S stock, 24" 11.25" twist .308, slightly heavier than varmint contour barrel, 5R rifling. I believe this is where the "mil-spec" part of the name comes from- the barrel specs. These were supposed to be optimized for the 175 gr Sierra Matchking load that the military uses for sniping. I'm no military expert, so maybe others can chime in and clarify this a little more. But as I understand it, the main benefits of the 5R rifling are minimal bullet deformation as it passes through the rifling, and less fouling due to the "canted" nature of the lands. I've primarily fed mine 168 A-maxes because that's what I had on hand, with RL-15 behind them, and it does very well with this load. But I know that the guy I bought it from had spectacular success with 175's, as I've shot against him in local matches a couple times and he cleaned my clock with it using those, lol. But when I bought it from him later, he wouldn't sell me the notebook he had that had literally dozens of loads he'd worked up for it. ;-(( He was upgrading to a full custom BR gun at the time, and I was buying this one from him to have a better gun to use at the matches. Guess he didn't want to give up any competitive advantage that he'd worked to achieve with the 5R. I never really got around to using it in the matches, but I still love shooting it. Anyway, I'd say 175 SMK's with Varget or RL 15 would be a great place to start.

Basic Member
    Can't argue with experience, so the 5R must make a huge difference, because 11.25 is normally very slow for a 175?

Just Askin?....Jim

I would just say that 1-10 twist is supposed to be good up to 210-220 grains, so yeah, it's on the slower end. But it's what's on the Army's M24 rifles, and they make hits out to 1000 yds or more with M118LR, which fires 175 gr match kings at around 2600 fps. I think the idea was to optimize the twist for this bullet at this velocity. I know they've worked well in mine. They should in the OP's too I would think.

RiverSink
    The Remington 5R's will stabilize 190 SMK's.

I worked up loads for my my mil spec yrs ago and develope,d darn good if not great groups using lighter 150 smk,s and RL-15. Im tossing them from 100 out to 1K with great results untill of course I find myself having to re-dev. new loads due to new lot # of powder.
    Barrel Nut is spot on as far as the effects of the rifling.
    Im curious if any body here has worked up loads for heavier pills from 168 to 175gr.
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    I have the Remington version of this rifle (please don't beat me up too bad). H-S stock, 24" 11.25" twist .308, slightly heavier than varmint contour barrel, 5R rifling. I believe this is where the "mil-spec" part of the name comes from- the barrel specs. These were supposed to be optimized for the 175 gr Sierra Matchking load that the military uses for sniping. I'm no military expert, so maybe others can chime in and clarify this a little more. But as I understand it, the main benefits of the 5R rifling are minimal bullet deformation as it passes through the rifling, and less fouling due to the "canted" nature of the lands. I've primarily fed mine 168 A-maxes because that's what I had on hand, with RL-15 behind them, and it does very well with this load. But I know that the guy I bought it from had spectacular success with 175's, as I've shot against him in local matches a couple times and he cleaned my clock with it using those, lol. But when I bought it from him later, he wouldn't sell me the notebook he had that had literally dozens of loads he'd worked up for it. ;-(( He was upgrading to a full custom BR gun at the time, and I was buying this one from him to have a better gun to use at the matches. Guess he didn't want to give up any competitive advantage that he'd worked to achieve with the 5R. I never really got around to using it in the matches, but I still love shooting it. Anyway, I'd say 175 SMK's with Varget or RL 15 would be a great place to start.
    Im "kinda in the process of working up a load for the 175,s and 4064 for the mil spec barrel but Im having great success with 150smk and RL-15..just one of those things where ya just have to get after it and find out. Sure wish I knew what your buddy was usingthough.....

How fast are you runing the 168 a-max?
    {John Wayne}

Yeah, me too!!! Haha. Using the very rifle that I now own, I watched him beat out 21 other competitors including me, (he came in third out of 24) in a 100-200 yd VFS match several years ago. Bear in mind, roughly 3/4 of those guys were experienced benchrest competitors shooting $4000 custom benchrest rifles chambered in 30BR and 6PPC. Here 'ole Larry was using an $1150 factory rifle, bone stock except for a good bedding job and a Jewell two ounce trigger. And he was shooting 175 gr SMK's. It was my first match ever, and I was shooting my Savage 10 FP at the bench next to him, and I remember just being astounded at how well he shot that rifle. Needless to say, when he later made the jump up to his own custom 30 BR and he mentioned the possibility that he might sell the 5R, I jumped on it. Just wish I could shoot it as well as he did.

I've never chrono'ed the 168's from the Remington, but in my 24" barreled .308 Savage 10FP I get a pretty consistent 2715 fps from 43.5 gr of RL15 behind a 168 AMax, with Lapua brass and CCI LR primers. It's pretty much my standard load, it works well in all my .308's. I don't get to shoot much lately so I don't really have time for extensive load development.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Yeah, me too!!! Haha. Using the very rifle that I now own, I watched him beat out 21 other competitors including me, (he came in third out of 24) in a 100-200 yd VFS match several years ago. Bear in mind, roughly 3/4 of those guys were experienced benchrest competitors shooting $4000 custom benchrest rifles chambered in 30BR and 6PPC. Here 'ole Larry was using an $1150 factory rifle, bone stock except for a good bedding job and a Jewell two ounce trigger. And he was shooting 175 gr SMK's. It was my first match ever, and I was shooting my Savage 10 FP at the bench next to him, and I remember just being astounded at how well he shot that rifle. Needless to say, when he later made the jump up to his own custom 30 BR and he mentioned the possibility that he might sell the 5R, I jumped on it. Just wish I could shoot it as well as he did.

I've never chrono'ed the 168's from the Remington, but in my 24" barreled .308 Savage 10FP I get a pretty consistent 2715 fps from 43.5 gr of RL15 behind a 168 AMax, with Lapua brass and CCI LR primers. It's pretty much my standard load, it works well in all my .308's. I don't get to shoot much lately so I don't really have time for extensive load development.
    That speed makes sense. Federal Gold medal match in 168 smk that I just happened to clock yesterday were running "exactly" 2715 4 shot average...well if that dont beat all.
    I only have about 2.5 lbs of rl-15 left and Im saving it for my 150smk loads. Sure wish I couod get my hands on another 5lb jug....but....seeing as how I cant find it?.. ive gone 4064
    {John Wayne}

I'm sure you could get similar velocities with 4064. I'm in the same position... Down to about a pound of RL15. Its practically nonexistent these days, so I bought an 8 lb jug of Alliant Power Pro MR 2000 because it was available and it is supposed to burn similar to Varget and 15. I've yet to try it, so we'll see. I've also seen a fair amount of 4064 available here and there. If you have any luck with it, let us know.

According to IMR's own data, 2700 should be easily doable with 168's..
    http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/...-2005apr03.php

roger that: I loaded 168s with all the components that federal uses on there FGMM in 168 smk ie: powder/primer/brass/crimp/lenght etc.... last saturday and gave them a go on sunday.
    as i mentioned, I got 2715 out of theres and 2744 out of mine using 4064.
    gonna play with it a little and slow it down.......give me something to do I guess
    {John Wayne}