Thread: 17 wsm bmag troubles

Sniper Steve

17 wsm bmag troubles

Ive put a box of 25 gr poly tips thru my bmag that ive had for a week. My rifle almost always fails to eject doesnt matter if its a live round or fired if the magazine in or mag it. I can get 2 shot hole outs at 50 yrds but then I will get fliers and cant get a tight group at 50 or 100.

n4ue
    Steve, I'm sure if you search here you will find the answer to your ejection issues.
    As far as the accuracy, welcome to our world! I'm surprised you haven't commented on the stock fit. ha ha

ron

Sniper Steve
    is there a fix for the ejection issue or just send the whole gun back for repair?? I wouldnt mind the cheesy stock if the gun functioned properly lol.

Poor Shot
    Don't try to "engineer" it yourself. You paid for a working rifle, not a work in progress. I have two of them, one of the early models before the ejector fix and one after the ejector fix. The problem with the newer one is that it won't cock. Work the bolt, pull the trigger and nothing happens. I never even fired it once. Called Savage and sent it back for repair or replacement, they paid for shipping.

Sniper Steve
    thanks I called them and UPS is coming to get it. I really cant believe this bmag passed inspection and left the factory. I just hope it comes back quick to shoot some yotes!

Sniper Steve
    update I got the bmag back today after a month. It functions properly now (ejector) and was fitted with a new stock that is a revised version of the black stock. From the looks of it really is free floated compared to what i had before.

Poor Shot
    I UPS'd mine on 1/31/14 and they got it on 2/5/14. The problem was that it wouldn't cock (it did in the store but not when I got it home) so in the two weeks I had it , I never got to fire it. I got it back today, 3/4/14 by UPS. This is what the piece of paper that came with it said:

SER001 Repair
    SER211C Function Fire_Passed
    SER092C Headspace - Good
    SER018C Replace Small Parts
    SER034C Clean And Check Complete (Bolt Action)

So, what was repaired? What small parts were replaced? Since I had marked the stock, I noticed it was replaced with another 'flexie' stock. I wonder why since the stock was not the problem.
    I still have not fired it, but at least it cocks now..

Sniper Steve
    finally took it back to the range got the same results. The first two shots are a hole out then barrel heats up and scatters. IMHO 4" groups and a 100yrds is totally not acceptable

n4ue
    I have a bunch (!!) of Savage rifles. I love them all EXCEPT the BMag. I am waiting for my new SS heavy bbl WSM before I write off this ctg. Yes, I have tried every 'trick' possible to get this thing to shoot to MY standards.
    I was one of the first guys to get this rifle and the more I think about it, my M25 in .17 HH is just SO superior, it's not funny. (not that it is funny). ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    The Bmag was the first Savage rifle I have ever bought/owned or shot. And for some reason I bought a model 11 in 223 at Cabelas just because the CZ rifles didn't offer anything in 1:9 twist in 223.

I hear you on the 17HH, there is no chance of a factory 17WSM even coming close to the accuracy of the Hornady Hornet, but both cartridges should be used on animals bigger than raccoon at close distances if you want to skin and sell hides. The 17 HMR was enough to kill a raccoon with a head shot without destroying the skull