Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware front pillar in Boyds Axis stock.

Beware front pillar in Boyds Axis stock.

I have run into a problem with the front action mounting screw on my Boyds Axis stock.

I put 3 rounds threw it last night (first time the gun has ever been fired) just to make sure everything worked before heading out to the local range this morning. I got up early to double check everything before leaving, only to find the action felt a touch loose… As I added a little tension to the front screw, pieces of timber feel out into my hand. On closer inspection of front mounting screw I found timber broken out of the Boyds stock where there pillar sits.

So with having to be on my way to the range by 7am to make it by 8am start (it was 6:15 am when I found the issue) I decided I had better try and come up with a fix. The boyds pillar is to short and doesn't make it all the way threw to the action. So I needed to find / make a new full length pillar out of something.

Decided to pull the pillar out of the original Savage Axis plastic fantastic stock and see If I can make that work. The original savage one was too long, so I grabbed the Dremel and cut it down to size. Note in the photo of the fitted full size pillar you can see the timber cracked in the mag well it will need the cracked bit pulled out and glued back in.

Anyway all fitted up and ready to go at 7:15am.

Set about repairing the front action mount screw hole this arvo.

I decided to reinforce the area by gluing in a washer under the pillar, giving more surface area to pull on when the screw is tightened.
    Here is how I did this.
    Okay first you need to remove the mag lock, it comes out with a gentle tap.

Then find a washer a touch bigger than the area is now, and get the dremel and grind a slot to allow the washer to slide in.

Now I had to remake a pillar as the one I cut down out of the original axis stock was to short. So this new pillar will be 2 piece. The original rear Axis pillar and the original boyds front pillar. Assembled it all to make sure everything fits. I did have to trim the pillar down to size.

Then I set the glue up, I added black food die to the glue. I set up the pillar in the stock then filled around the washer filling the broken out timber and securing the washer in the track I cut. Now I need to cut the pillar to length, I used white paint pen to mark the height then the dremel to cut it to size.

After all this the front bolt no longer fits, so I had to make up a new one. First need to turn the head down to fit in the pillar, used the cordless drill and file. Then cut the thread to length.

The finished job, feel a lot better that the front action screw is now a lot better supported.

thanks !!! ,really didn't want to see that problem as i'm still waiting on mine to be shipped as i ordered it back on 1-8-14 . Thanks though on showing the easy fix but i might jut send mine back to boyds if that problem does arise !!!
    SEMPER FI ... Oooh Rah !!!

2111 Marine, I live in Australia so sending it back just isn't worth the agro. Just fix it myself. And I would defiantly buy another one if the need arose, I am very happy with it. And I cant rule out that I over tightened it the second time round, I didn't look at the area in the morning before re tensioning it. But I do find it strange that it came loose after 3 rounds.

Has made it a very accurate rifle... results of first outing and sighting in rifle on Saturday morning. I would with 100% confidence say that the Boyds stock helped in getting this group over the plastic fantastic Axis stock.

Paid Member
    Looks like a lot of work, but a job "well" done.

Great tutorial.... and I don't even own a axis.... what wonderful pictures and time you put into it....Awesome.
    He who has a Hobby of Love... Lives a Longer and Happier Life.

Paid Member
    Great job. The dBm model ten stocks have a very similar challenge. In going to fab a aluminum bedding block for mine.

I cant find the email for boyds, but If you are watching this forum and see this thread would be great if you could from factory make a washer or better surface area for the front action screw would be great.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by patrolit View Post
    I cant find the email for boyds, but If you are watching this forum and see this thread would be great if you could from factory make a washer or better surface area for the front action screw would be great.
    sales@boydsgunstocks is a member of this forum. You could always use a PM.
    Confido autem verificare

Paid Member
    Yes, and Boyd's seem to be very responsive, as these Axis stocks prove. What caliber is this, and does the 23mm convert to anything American? (I'm sorry, I had to do it! I worked for Kawasaki many years, I do metric. Good group!) Anyway, very nice complete post mate.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Paid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLEFTY View Post
    Yes, and Boyd's seem to be very responsive, as these Axis stocks prove. What caliber is this, and does the 23mm convert to anything American? (I'm sorry, I had to do it! I worked for Kawasaki many years, I do metric. Good group!) Anyway, very nice complete post mate.
    I agree with the statement that Boyd's should provide better action mounts. My Axis is heavily modified and had a ring / recoil lug installed by Fred at SSS (fantastic work!) but Boyd's didn't provide any assistance when I asked for help in removing the pre-installed lug. While visiting a gun smith on another matter I mentioned my problem & he recommended that I heat the existing lug with a pencil torch just enough to melt the epoxy & it came right out with vise grips. When I installed the action only the rear screw would catch the threads so I thought maybe the lug from SSS was longer than Boyd's. A quick check with a depth gauge proved the Boyd's pocket was plenty deep so I smacked the top of the action with a rubber mallet & it went far enough into the stock that I could catch the threads with the shorter screw. As I alternated tightening the action screws in small increments I heard wood fibers crushing & when I removed the action I found a lengthwise split just to the rear of the front pillar. I'll make my own pillars as some of you have done but it's unfortunate that the inlet for the action wasn't either cut wide or deep enough for a drop-in fit. Some of you mentioned your actions dropped right in so there must be some variability between stocks since the work I had done didn't increase the diameter of the receiver. I appreciate your pictures and descriptions of how you built the pillars so I'll combine the best of them to create my own pillars.

Thanks folks for bringing this to our attention ~ I have passed the info on to our Quality & Engineering Department. If you have any hesitation or concerns with your stock please contact us right away at 605-996-5011 (Press 3 for Retail Sales & Customer Service)! Again thanks to all SS Members - your voice means everything to us!!

Have a good evening ~ Jen
    Boyds Gunstock Industries, Inc.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com
    (605)996-5011
    M-F 8am-4:30pm

Paid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    Thanks folks for bringing this to our attention ~ I have passed the info on to our Quality & Engineering Department. If you have any hesitation or concerns with your stock please contact us right away at 605-996-5011 (Press 3 for Retail Sales & Customer Service)! Again thanks to all SS Members - your voice means everything to us!!

Have a good evening ~ Jen
    Thank you for your reply and concern regarding this matter. Will Boyd's exchange the defective stocks under warranty or are we supposed to resolve the pillar / fit issues ourselves?

Absolutely! Our goal is to provide a drop-in-fit/bolt-up/ready to shoot stock! There should not be modifications (such as adding washers and glue) needed to any of our finished products!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX1953 View Post
    Thank you for your reply and concern regarding this matter. Will Boyd's exchange the defective stocks under warranty or are we supposed to resolve the pillar / fit issues ourselves?
    Boyds Gunstock Industries, Inc.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com
    (605)996-5011
    M-F 8am-4:30pm