Thread: Rechamber, or buy different?

Basic Member

Rechamber, or buy different?

I'm considering building up a 22-250, or 22-250 AI. for Coyotes.
    I currently have a fluted varmint weight stainless that is chambered for 223.
    Should I check into having this barrel re-chambered& threading the muzzle (for muffler) of looks for a different barrel?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

I'd look for a different barrel myself, leave the 223 as-is for general low cost plinking. You'll need a standard bolt head, possibly a magazine box too.Grab a 22/250 barrel, and shoot it until accuracy falls off and then have it opened up to Ackley specs with a new throat. The rifling barely wears out, only the throat, so trimming an inch and reaming a new chamber gets you about the same as a new barrel. I'm not sure what you mean by a muffler, anything added to the end of the barrel to supress sound requires a Federal tax stamp, and a lot of paperwork and wait time.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I guess that would depend on what weight bullets you want to shoot.

The .223 should be a 1-9" twist which at 22-250 or AI velocities will will work best with the 75-80 grain bullets. If you're wanting to shoot the lighter stuff (50-60 grain) I'd probably say go with a different barrel with a 1-12" twist. The 1-9" will shoot them fairly well, but you'll find that some bullets with thinner jackets may come apart before they reach the target due to the RPM being imparted on them by the fast twist rate.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    New barrel

Basic Member
    i rechambered my savage 223 to 22/250ai about 5 years ago. reason being i didnt want a heavy 223 but more of a walking around gun.
    it worked very well as for the new chamber. i shoot 69 gr smks and they work well. in hindsite id have gotten another gun in 22/250
    as i later bought another heavy 223. im told the 223 responds well to an a i upgrade. so that could be a consideration also.

Basic Member
    I already have one heavy barrel Savage in 223, so this barrel is just a spare part now.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

D.ID
    I would re-chamber if the barrel twist is appropriate for your purposes. Chambering should not be even close to a new barrel in cost and you might as well put her to use.