Thread: What bases for Savage 114 stainless long action?

JDUB007

What bases for Savage 114 stainless long action?

Ok Savage nuts please help me out...I just bought a new Savage 114 Amer. Classic in stainless .270 win...I already have a love affair going with this gun...too pretty to screw up the base,ring,scope set up.

Here's what I am hoping to do...weaver style bases with Burris Signature Zees...but I want my bases stainless and rings and scope black...planning on the Leupold vxII 3-9x40 not sure if tube length can handle regular bases or need extended set

I know the Savage action is loooooonngggg, so I want two piece weaver style with a few slots for good eye relief for me...don't like the look of full rail on a bolt gun

Question is which silver/nickel bases fit the long action & look best with the Savage stainless and any experience with the bases? I'm looking at
    the Millet two piece angle loc steels or if Burris made the XTR in stainless those...any advise or suggestion? Any one have opinion on Warne bases? I've seen mixed reviews

PS I do care if this thing fits good and shoots tight not just looking good

JDUB
    Savage 340a 30-30
    Savage 114 AC SS 270win

Basic Member
    Warne bases are good. I've had a lot of their stuff. I have though about re finishing the Burris XTR's before. I really like those bases.

Team Savage
    The Burris Tactical Xtreme bases give you the most mounting flexibility of the weaver style, two piece bases available for a Savage LA action. For a cleaner look, I go with the steel Weaver Grand Slams (S46 and S402). You will need the extended front base (S402) to give you the scope scope tube mounting flexibility on a LA. Good choice to use the Burris Signature Zee rings, since the mounting holes on a Savage action are seldom perfectly aligned. The pictures below show how the combination looks on a Savage 14 SS American Classic. You can use two S46's bases on a SA, but you need a S402 extended base on a Savage LA to mount a Leupold VX-2 scope. I don't think these bases are avaiable in nickle or SS. But if your are going with a matte black scope and ring combination, then matte black bases will look better than silver bases IMO.

Last edited by jpdown; 02-01-2014 at 11:38 AM.

JDUB007
    Thanks that's great info...yeah black bases seem to look just fine...great pics...do you find you can get the scope positioned well for your eye relief with those #46/402s with the one slot, or would you rather have the other slots from say a Millett pair or those xtr's? I think warne may also have more than one slot...this is my first gun I've had to set up like this all my others have rails or my muzzleloader has a one piece...definitely want steel vs aluminim

Team Savage
    The Weaver GS single slot bases work for me. The Leupold VX-2 scopes have good eye relief. But as you can see from the 2nd picture with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 scp[e, I can't move the scope tube back any further on the Savage LA.

Savage6x284
    My answer every time if I'm looking for scope mounts that are strong, light, and fantastic looking is S&K.
    They work great on a LA Savage.

Lake Life
    Thanks for the pics jpdown I'm looking at a 114 and a Vortex Viper 3-9x40, which it turns out has the same length from eyepiece to end of tube as a VX-II. Really nice to be able to see on-screen what you're trying to picture in your head. Doesn't look like there's much room to play there.