Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Howdy all, I'm new here. I have a Savage BTVLSS .22 that I absolutely love. Picked up a brand new in the box FLCP-K .308 the week of Christmas and have had a heck of a time with it. I think my next step is sending it back to Savage, but thought I'd check in with the forum to see if there is any other advice.

- The rifle is new in box, or at least it was before I put ~20 rounds through it with this issue.
    - Scope is a new Vortex PST 6-24x50.
    - scope rings/base is a DNZ Game Reaper model 34200 1 piece.

I mounted the base and scope without trouble, everything was/is level and went on without any trouble. Torqued to ~22 in/pounds.

First range trip:

• Got to the range and set up at 100 yards...not even on paper. BIG paper, like 3 ft x 3 ft.
    • Brought it in to 25 yards and find I'm hitting ~13" right and 4" low.
    • Ran the scopes windage adjustment all the way 1 direction, counting clicks, and then all the back the other way, then returned to center.
    • Put a round within 1/8" of the first shot - 13" right and 4" low. So, I'm confident the scope is tracking and the reticle centered.
    • Used nearly 100% of the windage to get 'almost' into the bull. I figure I'm needing close to 15mil of adjustment. That's no good.

Second range trip
    • Pulled the scope off the Savage and popped it onto my Ruger GSR. Nearly dead center with first shot. So, confirming the scope isn't to blame.
    • Popped a Leupold VX-R (from the Ruger) onto the Savage. 1st shot is ~13" right and 4" low. At least it's consistent!

Third Range Trip
    • New mount, same model though, I was hoping the least expensive bit of gear in the mix was the culprit.
    • Still 13" right and 4" low.
    • The mount sits square/flush with the receiver contour, so I don't think the screw holes are off center. The eye and rudimentary measurements says they're centered.

I sent an email off the DNZ asking if their mount was Right hand specific and won't work on my Left handed action...they say that's not the problem. Terrific service BTW, very quick to respond and helpful.

So...that leaves me with the rifle being buggered up. Perhaps the barrel and receiver aren't mating properly? I hesitate to do any wrenching on it as it's brand new. But, I also don't like that I have to pay shipping back to Savage for them to warranty it.

Any suggestions for what to try before sending it in?
    If I do send it in, what's the typical Warranty Service experience with Savage? Will they send me a shipping label?

Thanks all!

- tim
    Last edited by WNC Seabee; 01-31-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Basic Member
    The front base screw could be too long, bottoming out on the barrel threads? If you put a broom stick in the scope rings you may find it "pointing off to the right?

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    The front base screw could be too long, bottoming out on the barrel threads? If you put a broom stick in the scope rings you may find it "pointing off to the right?

I forgot to mention that I laid a 3ft wood dowel in the base to do just what you describe. My eye tells me it was coming off a very small amount, a degree or 2, to the right. But that may have been my imagination.

Get some Millett Angle lock rings and that will fix your windage adjustment issue.

Basic Member
    Welcome aboard WNC Seabee, if you contact savage they will help in every way possible to walk you through the problem. Theres a lot of very savy savage people here, just give then a little time and the forum can probably get it working right without going back to savage. Good luck

Team Savage
    a EGW base & a set of Burris signature zee rings will be your best bet

drybean

Or windage-adjustable rings like Leupold or Burris. Or Burris signature rings with offset inserts.
    With your DNZ one-piece base, does it use beveled head screws (not sure of the actual name for these), or screws with flats on the underside of the heads? If you just barely begin to unscrew them, can you wiggle the mount left and right? If so, you can just reposition it and retighten. I had this same issue with a Weaver picatinny rail, and it had me pulling my hair out until I figured it out. Better to use a mount that uses the beveled, countersunk? style screws that automatically center the base.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Or windage-adjustable rings like Leupold or Burris. Or Burris signature rings with offset .
    Even with being 13" @ 25yds off? 52" @ 100? I could see using adjustable rings if it were an 1" or 2, but this is exceptionally bad.

RiverSink
    It would be headed back to Savage if it were mine, that should have never left.

If it were just 1 or 2 inches off you would just correct it with your scope.

It's not impossible that your scope mounting holes are not on the centerline of the action. But it's much more likely that you have a scope mount problem. I'd try something different before sending it back.

1. Call Savage and explain the issue. If the first line of folks give you the run around, ask to speak with Paul Smarrelli, he's the head of Customer Service.

2. When you send the rifle in, be sure to include 25 yard targets and explain in detail what you have done, what the targets depict, and that you have verified that the scope and the mount mount have been eliminated as the source of the problem.

That said, based on past experiences reported here I don't know what kind of satisfaction to tell you to expect. Generally speaking, when Savage gets a gun back they take it up to their indoor range, clamp it into the pneumatic vise table, zero it in and then shoot a couple groups with it. If it groups under an inch they pretty much consider it perfectly acceptable, even if you have to use up all your windage or elevation to get it zeroed.

Typically this problem is a result of the action being warped from the heat-treat process. A good gunsmith can easily straighten the action, but IMO if it's that bad you shouldn't have to pay a gunsmith to fix it as the manufacturer should step up and repair or replace it themselves. Doesn't always happen that way though.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Called up this morning and had no hassles at all getting a UPS call tag issued. Their website says that shipping costs back to them for warranty service is not covered, so I was ready to fight over that. I have it boxed and ready for pick up tomorrow, hopefully they'll turn it around quick!

Basic Member
    Good News "Seabee"! Please keep us updated on your progress with this. Thanks.....Jim

Well, UPS delivered the rifle to them 2 weeks ago today. I called this morning for an update and am told six to eight weeks before they'll look at it. This is unacceptable to me, but they really have you over the barrel don't they?

I am beyond pissed off by that. It's a brand new rifle, broken out of the box. If we were dealing with any other industry I'd be able to walk into the store and walk out with a replacement with no hassle.

GatewayShepherd
    J. Baker…I think you awful optimistic that any good gunsmith can straighten a bent or twisted receiver. I think the reality of that is that you’d have a heck of a time fining one that would even attempt to mess with it.

WNC Seabee…Could have been a crown issue. But keep in mind it only takes .005” of shift at the scope to move 3.5” at 100 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatewayShepherd View Post
    J. Baker…I think you awful optimistic that any good gunsmith can straighten a bent or twisted receiver. I think the reality of that is that you’d have a heck of a time fining one that would even attempt to mess with it.
    Really? Heck, that's my specialty....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

6+ weeks....no word. I'm less than impressed with Savage customer service.

Called their CS again this week....Progress! Was told they've replaced the barrel and it's now "in testing".

DSW308
    Well... that's some progress, WCB you a SeaBee out of Hueneme?

Quote Originally Posted by DSW308 View Post
    Well... that's some progress, WCB you a SeaBee out of Hueneme?
    I was a CM out of Gulfport 20+ years ago. You?

Westcliffe01
    This is a factory rifle, so they either didn't get the receiver face square to the bore of the action, or they used a nut that was not machined square to the thread, or the beefy lady that "straightens" the barrel with that press tweaked it in the opposite direction...

I got a Savage 10 with a 308 Shilen barrel in a trade on this forum where the seller had installed the barrel using the incorrect recoil lug. Remington recoil lugs use a small diameter pin (about 1/16") that is also much longer than the feature on Savage recoil lugs. The result was that the pin bottomed out in the recess in the action and then prevented the barrel nut from even touching the front of the recoil lug. As the nut was cranked on with the wrench, the pin cut a gouge in the softer nut until it finally locked up, still not touching the recoil lug on that side. The seller even claimed that it shot well in load trials...

Anyway, when I got it from UPS I was just sitting there checking it over and "something" just didn't feel right, so I took the barreled action out the stock and I had the receiver in 1 hand and the barrel in the other, when I noticed that I could get the barrel to turn... Whaaaaaattttttt ????????? Yeah, apparently someone shot it like that.... At that point I figured the head space had to be messed up, so I got the tools out and broke it down. Had a heck of a time removing the barrel nut (the seller re-used the "smooth" barrel nut) and found out why once I got it off.

All it took was a new nut and recoil lug + a $30 Go gauge and I had it back together and so far, it is the most accurate rifle I own. I can only imagine what the sellers "groups" must have looked like before and a warning to take people at their word on this forum... It also had the Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger in it that was the biggest turd I have ever come across in my life.

But the seller was glad to be rid of it. I put a regular accutrigger back in it and was glad to be rid of my last Remington which the seller got in return. He got quite a deal, a classic rifle + a 6.5x284 barrel with a brake + a second thumbhole stock and the rifle had a Shilen trigger + the factory trigger... As it turned out, the Savage lemon was made into lemonade but I never heard back if he had more success with the Remington or not. I personally think he should keep wrenches away from rifles, it is not his gift...

DSW308
    My Dad and I were Army, but I grew up in Camarillo, near Port Hueneme (Seabee Base) which I figured you would probably be familiar with... Thanks for your service!

LanceS4803
    While not a Savage, I had a muzzleloader with the exact same problem.
    Tried everything and every ring/scope combo, nothing worked.
    Finally put a straight-edge along the side of the base and discovered the scope base holes were drilled out of alignment.
    Sometimes it is the simple things that cause the biggest waste of time.

Called again today. 10 days after being told the barrel was replaced, I still hadn't heard anything. They tell me, "it could be a while before we test it, because, you know, there are others and sometimes we don't have ammo."

I expressed my displeasure. Firmly and directly, but without raising my voice or cussing.

I was told that a "Mary Ann", some type of manager, would look into it and call me "right back". That was about 10:45am today. I'm sure you're all shocked to hear that I did not receive a call.

LanceS4803
    You just have to get the right person there.
    Last year I sent in a barrel action to have the factory pencil barrel removed and a factory fluted barrel installed.
    They sent me back the wrong barrel installed, and didn't return my original barrel.
    I called and asked about this and was told that since I never explicitly asked for my original barrel to be returned, it was scrapped. And, I wasn't clear on what barrel I wanted installed.
    Ended up talking to a supervisor who immediately found my original barrel, sent a return ticket for the new barreled receiver and fixed everything.
    Simply a matter of getting the right person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast