Thread: New member looking for some help

4IDARCHER

New member looking for some help

Hello,
    I am a longtime shooter and hunter that in the last 10-15 years have strictly bowhunted, with one or two muzzleloading hunts thrown in. My first centerfire wasa 111 Savage in .243 and have just got back into the game with a weatherwarrior in .300 Win Mag. Awesome rifle and more accurate then I will ever bewith 180gr Federal Barnes X (not the new polymer tip XLR) load.
    Since I do all of my elk and bear hunting with a bow, this rifle will be formulies, Coues, and maybe antelope if I decide to put my bow down for a season. I am looking to shoot it with the Hornaday superformance 150 loads if I can find any still around. I hope the rifle is close to as accurate with that load. I do have a question concerning this rifle though; with a gun as accurate asthis one is, a real life 1/2 MOA rifle with certain loads, do I dare mess withit at all? I would love to at a minimum have the stocked dipped and lighten upthe trigger a bit as it has the accutrigger but nervous about doing anything tothis rifle as it shoots so well. A nice cerakote would look great, but a big voice in my head says don't even touch it. What do you guys think?

It's been my experience that if a rifle shoots really well, be it factory or custom, that cerakote or messing with the trigger has had no negative affects. Usually if they shoot they shoot no matter what you do, short of breaking down the barrel and action.

the Ranger
    having the stock dipped should not change anything and I have never heard of a rifle that shot worse with a lighter trigger.