Thread: Need Die Recommendation For 6.5-284

Need Die Recommendation For 6.5-284

For the life of me, I cannot figure out exactly which dies I need to cover all aspects of loading accurate 6.5-284 rounds.

Most of my reloading is done with Hornady Custom Grade for the 223, 6.8 SPC, 30-06 etc. However, with the 6.5-284, I want to get a little more detailed in my reloading procedures.

For bullet seating, I already have the Wilson stainless seater and the 21st Century Arbor press so I am covered there. Since I am running Lapua brass, I would like to run an expander ball through the case necks before the first load. Do I need to full length resize brand new Lapua brass? If not, then I could expand the necks and load.

After the first shot, the plan is to do a partial neck size and oal length check and trim if needed.

Any advice regarding which brand and type (bushing or standard) to go with would be most appreciated and stop me from banging my head into the keyboard.

Thanks,

Shawn

I run a standard redding Two die set with mine and it works great.

Wood there be any reason to run a standard vs bushing die?

I think I have this figured out..
    1. Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die #56415
    2. Redding Body Die #75415
    3. Expander die for the first sizing ( haven't figured this one out yet)

Would you guys happen to know a range of bushings to start with for the 6.5-284?

Thanks,

Shawn

HAMPS
    My 6.5-284 Lapua brass loaded is .294". I will be using a forster bushing bump neck die which comes with a 289/291/293 bushings but purchased a 292. I am just getting started with it so have not got to test out the bushing yet. My guess will be the 292 for .002 neck tension.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMPS View Post
    My 6.5-284 Lapua brass loaded is .294". I will be using a forster bushing bump neck die which comes with a 289/291/293 bushings but purchased a 292. I am just getting started with it so have not got to test out the bushing yet. My guess will be the 292 for .002 neck tension.
    Thanks Hamps.. My loaded cases measured .294 also so it looks like we will be using the same bushings

If I can ever find one of the Forster bushing bump sets for the 6.5-284, I would order one. If you beat me to the correct size bushings, I would love to know!

Thanks,

Shawn
    "Face Piles of Trials With Smiles"
    NRA Life Member

I wouldnt waste money on a redding micrometer sizing die. It just isnt necessary to make accurate ammo. Now having the mic on a seating die might come in handy if you are using several different bullets in the same cartridge.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Patch700
    Sounds like you're on the rite track , I use the K&M raised window expander (allows you to see how much of the neck is being fed onto the expander) it is a very nice piece and very affordable too... Bushings as mentioned above are probably going to range anywhere from .289-.293 depending what brass etc.. I have had good luck going with a bit more neck tension than i normally thought would've been needed (.291 bushing with a loaded neck dia of .295)

I have the KM setup with the window which is a nice feature. Simply using the KM expander then seating a bullet yields pretty good tension and a .294 loaded neck diameter. The only bushing I have coming in this week is a .292 which should be fine without neck turning. However, when I begin neck turning, I am probably going to need a .291 or 290 bushing.
    "Face Piles of Trials With Smiles"
    NRA Life Member