Thread: Scope on the Axis xp?

Tantor

Scope on the Axis xp?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and glad I joined. I live in the beautiful state of KY and shoot nothing but Savage rifles. My question which I hope hasn't already been asked, if so, sorry.
    I got an Axis xp w stainless barrel for Christmas, yes I asked for one to hunt with. I liked the weight due to walking to stand. My question is how are the bushnell scopes that come with it. It's been so cold and snowy here I haven't been able to shoot it and just looking through it at gun shop doesn't really tell me much.
    Thanks for replies in advance. By the way it chambered in .270 and camo.

They're the same scopes one would find in the blister packs at your local WalMart. Looking at the difference in price between the scoped and non-scoped versions will tell you about what you paid for the scope.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

new hunter
    I have a 308 which came with the same scope I would think. From what I have been told on here is that you get what you pay for. Of course Leopold are one of the best out but so is the price for them . so I did some searching and reading. I chose a Nikon 3x9x50 . they are very clear. I did put Leopold mounts on which I would say are a lot better for not coming lose and seem to hold up very good. But I'm not sure how far you are planning to shoot your game. You might want to go with more power then a 3x9. I'm not going to shoot more then 150 yards for my game. But you might want too.

new hunter
    I would stay away from the cheaper scopes. Yes you can find them that are high power but like I said you get what you pay for. A good scope new should run you about 150 to 250. You can find some used ones for 120-190. Scope mounts run from 40- 60. This is from the the things I learned on here. I'm very happy with mine .

new hunter
    QUOTE=big honkin jeep]Here's a pretty good article on maximum point blank range I thought you might appreciate. I may help answer the question of how high to sight your rifle in. I hope it helps BHJ http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Over the weekend, I checked out an Axis XP .243 with the Bushnell Scope out at Knob Creek and I must concur it wasn't very well put together at all. So decided to buy a used SWFA 10x Fixed, just purchase the rifle, and mount that instead.

Tantor
    Thanks guys for the replies. It was 60 outside this past weekend so I got to go shoot for a bit. Took the axis out to break it in and see how good or bad scope is. For it's intended purpose, it wasn't as bad as expected. Out of the box and with only 20 rounds the Axis shot 1moa at 100y, even with the heavy trigger and only using a front bag. I'm gonna have to try the spring from a pen trick guys are talking about. For now I'll leave scope are it since my longest shot where I hunt is about 80-100y. As for trigger, **** after having my 10fpsr @2 lbs, it's heavy. Good bit of recoil also due to the light weight and stock. Have to say I like it, it's a keeper. Better stock, trigger and scope(later) and I'm good to go.

2111 Marine
    i've heard of these bushnell scopes that come on the axis don't last more than 40-60 rds before the reticle turns into a X marks the spot indicator

Team Savage
    The Bushnell Sharpshooter scope that comes on the Savage Hunter XP rifle is about as cheap as they get. Just go online and read some reviews. I started out shooting rifles with cheap scopes because that was what I could afford at the time. The problem with cheap scopes is they are not reliable. You end up wasting a lot of time, ammo and money fooling with them. Money that should have been spent on a reliable scope with warranty support from the beginning. The good news is that for around $200.00 you can get some dang good scopes with clear glass and warranty support these days. Even expensive scopes can and do bite the dust.
    Last edited by jpdown; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.