Thread: 243 95 gr ballistic tip

Basic Member

243 95 gr ballistic tip

Has anybody used nosler 95 gr ballistic tip bullets before? How's accuracy and would the be a good bullet to save hides on coyotes? I was thinking that they might since they are listed as a "hunting" bullet and not a varmint bullet but then again they are a ballistic tip. Thanks in advance
    They can run, but they'll only die tired.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteslayer223 View Post
    Has anybody used nosler 95 gr ballistic tip bullets before? How's accuracy and would the be a good bullet to save hides on coyotes? I was thinking that they might since they are listed as a "hunting" bullet and not a varmint bullet but then again they are a ballistic tip. Thanks in advance
    Ballistic tips blow up pretty big on coyotes. I'd say you will have a 2-3 inch exit hole or so at 243 velocity. I shot a coyote once with a 125 gr 30 cal "hunting ballistic tip" at about 2900 fps impact and I could fit my fist in the exit hole. If you want pin holes, Sierra makes a 90 gr full metal jacket

Basic Member
    I've gotten great accuracy from the Nosler BT in my .243, but they're fur wreckers on smaller game. Great deer, antelope and feral hog rounds, but fur collectors should not use them!

Basic Member
    They are one of the best deer bullets going, but I have not used any on coyotes. The story goes that the 95 grain BT was intentionally made with an extra thick jacket because one of the head guys at Nosler wanted to hunt elk with his .243. My loads have been very accurate and have exited cleanly on deer with about a .75-1.0 inch exit hole.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking... But I'll try them out and if they aren't very fur friendly then I'll have some antelope loads ready to go for next year.

Basic Member
    I'd probably recommend their lighter varmint loads, as they are designed to expand violently and may not exit at all. 55-70 gr seems like a good round for them. Anything over 80 has a different jacket designed more for penetration.

buckyne
    anything in .243 is going to be tough on hides if you hit bone. I have shot coyotes with the 95 gr BT and been fine with a small exit. I have also seen coyotes that look like they swallowed a grenade when hit with the same bullet. Keep off the shoulder, spine, hips and you "should" be ok. I use a .223 when I am trying to save fur. My .243 is for killing them fast and ugly.

Basic Member
    The 95 grain is a penetrating round, not designed for coyotes.

Basic Member
    If a penetrating round though, wouldn't it be ideal to keep hides???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteslayer223 View Post
    If a penetrating round though, wouldn't it be ideal to keep hides???
    A FMJ penetrating would be, but not an expanding one like the 95gr Nosler. It's a medium game round for deer and antelopes and such, not meant for fur preservation.

Basic Member
    Ok that makes sense well now I got me some antelope bullets

243 is going to be hard on hides most of the time, regardless on the bullet. Impact velocities are going to run high unless your 'yote is way out there. I've seen fist sized entrance holes on 243 shot 'yotes.

One of my old 'yote hunting buddies back in AZ was using his 243 AR10 for a while. He would get one or two "good" ones and think he was set, and then, "boom" he'd blow one up bad. He even went to the 55 gr BT and thought that was the answer, until he shot one at 50 yards that came all the way around and up on us without us seeing him. He hit that one center chest and dang near blew him in half.

So his 243 got put away until it got warm out and the fur went to heck on them. Then it was just killing 'yotes to keep the ranchers happy so pelt damage didn't matter.

Since you can't always control the conditions and distance for the shot, I would recommend a smaller cartridge when you're saving pelts. In the summer time, we'd shoot them with pretty near anything, on up to my 375 H&H just for giggles. Makes good practice with the big game rifles too.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot