Thread: Savage Model 64 ... feeding problem

DCLM

Savage Model 64 ... feeding problem

Hello, I am new to the Savage model 64. I have only about 50 rounds through it and I have bent 5 .22 bullets. Here is my problem/question. I load the magazine, I chamber 1 and shoot, the next one will not feed and will keep the bolt wedged open. The bullet will be bent upwards above the barrel hole. I eject that and rack another one. After that, they all cycle fine. Until the next time I load the magazine and the same thing happens. I have filed down a burr the magazine top and that hasn't helped. Is there any other solution to my problem? I know they are common to jam, (I guess that's what mine is doing as well). I'm not mad at the gun, just got to figure out the problem and fix it. With your help, I hope to do just that! Thanks in advance!

fartsinpublic
    Quote Originally Posted by DCLM View Post
    I load the magazine, I chamber 1 and shoot, the next one will not feed and will keep the bolt wedged open. The bullet will be bent upwards above the barrel hole. I eject that and rack another one. After that, they all cycle fine.
    So just your second round is hanging up? Have you tried only loading just one in the magazine (should be fine), then just two in the magazine, then three, etc. to narrow down if it is a question of a full-mag's-worth of ammo pushing up on the second round?

A short test might identify if a full-ish mag is causing the misfeeding, but I don't know why it would only manifest itself on #2...unless "8 more below it" is a problem. (But then I don't know why #1 chambers ok, with 9 below it. Hmmmmm.)

Quote Originally Posted by DCLM View Post
    I'm not mad at the gun, just got to figure out the problem and fix it. With your help, I hope to do just that! Thanks in advance!
    Good luck.

fartsinpublic
    BTW, does the problem also happen with plastic snap caps (or those little blue aluminium 22LR "test/proving rounds")? Should be able to load up a bunch and replicate the problem and test different scenarios to narrow it down.

DCLM
    I haven't tried loading less than 10. I will try tomorrow. I did purchase another clip, I'll see if it does the same with that one as well. Can I "pretend" to chamber a round, then put the clip in? Dry fire and see if it chambers the 1st round in the clip? If so, I'll see if it does the same with that top round. I haven't used any snap caps. Thanks for the quick response!