Thread: How to value and determine exactly what it is....

Basic Member

How to value and determine exactly what it is....

I'm looking at a Model 99 but the values are all over the place. I'm working on getting a serial number. Here's a pic:

It's a model 99EG, most likely chambered in 300 Savage because they're the most common 99 on the market, kinda like Winchesters 94 in 30-30.

Value, probably $500 - $600.
    Savage- "never say never".

I wish you could find these for 5-600 here in new york state.Every gunshow they want diamonds for them.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

MacDR
    So I walked into my local G'smith to check on things and he has a 1899B octagonal barrel in the rack on consignment. He pipes up that its worth way over a $1000 but he thinks I can get it for $800. Serial number is 24.XXX. No rust but barrel is too blue for being around since 1903-04 and I suspect a reblue at some point. The receiver is clean silver gray with all case colours gone from lever. Bore has sharp rifling but is frosted and wood has the usual dings with an almost invisible crack by the top of the tang. Sights looked wrong as they are a tapered ladder and the front sight looks too wide for the barrel. I take a few pictures and make no comments other than it is an interesting item. Back home and a little bit of research shows the sights are actually off a vintage winchester. All in all the value is more like $400-500. The action was smooth and as tight as my model 99f of early 60's vintage. While a definate plus, since no 303 Savage ammo is available and whiles cases can be made from other calibres such as the 30-30 it is unlikely to be easy to keep in ammo should one decide to shoot it. A great project rifle for someone who wants to bring it back to its past glory but not a wise investment. Old doesn't mean valuable.

Yep, sounds more like a $300 winter project, let it sit.
    Savage- "never say never".

bigbuck
    A little late to the party, but : check out GunBroker.com on line auction. A lot of nice 99s in different price ranges. Be patient and disciplined and you can make some really good deals, from time to time. Alot of times people bid up the value of a sub-standard piece, and let a good clean collectible 99 just slip past for peanuts...thats the deal you are waiting for. Alot of times orginal tang or peep sights are on the rifles, these are often worth a hundred or more dollars, some people are so scope addicted these days, they miss that. the craftsmanship in some of those sights is a wonder in itself.