Thread: Back To The Bean Fields of Ohio

Dogbone

Back To The Bean Fields of Ohio

Again this season Nomad47 was gracious enough to invite me to hunt with him. I arrived at his motorhome right around 9 AM. We loaded up our gear and headed out. A little rain drove us from out first set, but by the time 7 PM and a some more rain, we'd put in a full day of hogging. I managed to get five for the day (doubled my total for the season so far) two at 165 yds, two at 265 yds and one at 235 yds. One of the 265 yarders was with Bill's 6 XC. The others were with my 243 using 58 gr Hornady VMax bullets. By the way, 265 is now my all time longest shot. Before that it was 260 and also with Nomad47 last year here in Ohio.

stangfish
    You can tell him that If he needs anymore help I'm on my way. Good Shooting!

blackgunsalute
    Where abouts in Ohio? I'm in central

Last season I used .243 and 58 Z MAX , awesome laser beam varmint load. I used a full house of imr 4007ssc, lit by cci#34 primer, I shot one at 350 with very little holdover. Unfortunately over the past few years I've shot most of the chuck in my area. But there's this one I've been trying to get since this spring. I drive by the field 4 times a day to work lunch then to work again. He is about 200 yards from the road, easy to spot when he's out. His holes are in a dence hedgerow and I first noticed him about 3 years ago. Now land owners changed and I've had permission since spring time. He is the smartest dog I've ever encountered. I'm guessing he's been shot alot in the past, most likely even been wounded. In the past 3 years I've only seen him out less than 10 times, I've probably got 2 hours laying prone into it so far, and have had does and bucks come within 50 yards! I drive by at 6:50am 11:05am 12:50pm and 4:05pm Mon-Fri. and have spent time around dusk and after rain. What a challenge.

Basic Member
    Problem is hunters arent the only predetors they have anymore. Many groundhogs fall prey to coyotes.
    I have an old friend who retired to central PA 30 + years ago. He would average over 150 hogs each year
    for many years. Now days the same places produce none. He still averages about 25 each year walking
    the woods edges with his long range pistol. But thats almost his full time job during the season.

SJA223
    Yobuck... seeing the same thing in Washington, Butler, and Armstrong counties. Used to shoot all day. Now the coyotes are getting them.I'm sure hunters helped lower the numbers too. Been out since 1:30. Killed 5 and missed 3 others. Low number day.

I should look into getting a government grant to have a woodchuck farm to raise them up so they can be released when mature into nature,,, we don't want them on the endangered species list here do we?

1375619cm3
    I hunted one for two years and never could get a shot off with in range. That all changed when I bought my savage in 243 finally got her at 344 yards last weekend. Longest confirmed shot for me so far. Using 100 grain hornady whitetails but was zerod w 80 grn federals at the time.

SJA223
    I've been telling guys I want to live trap the ones around my house and work then release them where we hunt.

Basic Member
    Lol need to do more tote hunting guys! Freeze some GHs till fall and bait the yotes