Thread: Looking for pigs in Kern county cali

new hunter

Looking for pigs in Kern county cali

Does anyone know of a place to find pig in Cali that is not private land. Willing to travel to find some. Any help would be great.

Luke45
    are you truly a "new hunter"? because wild pigs can be some of the most difficult animals to hunt in North america. i have killed a ton of them, and man they can be tricky, much more so than deer. The general consensus of people who haven't pig hunted before is that they are dumb animals, but they are hardly that. if you want to find public land, get a BLM(beuro of land management) map of california, or even on just of kern county at your local sporting goods store. and look at BLM and state land areas near farmland and river bottoms. go check it out, look for signs of pigs, and when you find an area off the beaten path that has lots of hog sign, just start hunting them and you will figure out there moving and feeding patters. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    are you truly a "new hunter"? because wild pigs can be some of the most difficult animals to hunt in North america. i have killed a ton of them, and man they can be tricky, much more so than deer. The general consensus of people who haven't pig hunted before is that they are dumb animals, but they are hardly that. if you want to find public land, get a BLM(beuro of land management) map of california, or even on just of kern county at your local sporting goods store. and look at BLM and state land areas near farmland and river bottoms. go check it out, look for signs of pigs, and when you find an area off the beaten path that has lots of hog sign, just start hunting them and you will figure out there moving and feeding patters. Good luck!
    I've started hunting hogs--mostly cause it's something to do in the off-season when I can't hunt deer--plus I'm scouting for next year's season at the same time.

I got interested in hunting hogs mostly cause I've started seeing more signs; and on 2 hunts saw hogs when I was hoping for deer. While the other deer hunters I know in the area tell me they have yet to see hogs where they hunt--I've seen as many as 20 at once in a group (I didn't have a shot unfortunately) when I tried a buck call and out they came.

The woods area I hunt has been really torn up by their rooting--and by no coincidence deer signs/activity appears to have been reduced--another good reason to go after hogs I think. As luck (or lack thereof) would have it--when I've gone out on a hog hunt I haven't seen any--I suspect that they are just as wily as deer. Smaller targets that can scoot into tight conceal too.

So far in my very limited experience I've noticed that they seem to like rocky ravines that have creeks or springs and dense low cover in the woods habitat I hunt. I still don't know if they can see orange or not : ) but one saw me at about 175 yds and took off fast. However, I've climbed up the slopes of some very steep terrain and have seen extensive signs of their rooting even up on these steep slopes--they are like troops of Seabees and can plow up an area pretty fast once they select it as a feeding area. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

new hunter
    Yes Luke I'm a new hunter. Just bought a new 308 and all my camp and back pack. Getting ready to by a new shotgun too for bird. Here in Bakersfield California public land is hard to find. Its all farm land or oilfields. And the few private lands are not cheep to hunt on. They range from $300-1500 for two days. That's a lot of pork from the store if you ask me.
    I'm hoping to find people on here that have land or know of place to go. Even go hunt with them.
    I started this to take my boy out hunting. I have been shooting for years just never hunted. Just shoot at the range or some open field. Thinking this is a good way to spend some father son time. Just me and him. We fish too. Just in the cold months we want to do something outside.

Team Savage
    There is public hunting on Fort Hunter Ligget
    about 50mi N/W of Paso Robles

drybean

new hunter
    Is there any pig out there dry bean

Team Savage
    yes there is pig hunting

lookup hunting fort hunter liggett , should give you all the info.

drybean

coyote268
    There is a lot of land in the Big Sur area that holds good populations of pigs. From there to Hunter Ligggett is a lot of National Forest to hunt in.

Basic Member
    Sometime pigs are taken in the Carrisso Plains area (hwy 58), but not too often. There are also some taken in Los Padres NF. Be sure you are aware of the lead free areas (soon to be statewide in Jan) and bullets like the Barnes TSX and others, are mandatory, especially on Hunter Liggett. Call them for details well in advance of a planned hunt.

Bring a good set of binoculars and plenty of water when you hunt. It's not as hot here as Bakersfield, but dehydration will still get you. Pig hunting here will be spot and stalk, and they are very wary. I know farm pigs can be pretty smart, and I suppose their wild counterparts are too. That said, all three I have shot have been at night, with a recurve bow, at about 10 yds. under a landowner depredation permit. Then they don't care how you get them.

Good luck!

Basic Member
    Any luck finding a place yet? Look up pig hunts in San Luis Obispo and Monterey counties. Bakersfield is only 1.5-2hrs from the coast, and there are a lot of hunts over here. They seem to range in the $300-500 price, not as bad as you quoted earlier.