Thread: How should I sight my 308

new hunter

How should I sight my 308

I bought a new 308 axis and put a new Leopold 3x9x40 on it. I buddy of mine said to sight it in at 100 yards 2" above bull's eye. Is that eight

For general purposes 2" is fine. But "correct" sight height for a given distance is a very relative thing. What may be the best when shooting 175gr factory loads may not be the best for shooting 125gr varmint loads. Online ballistics programs can give you lot's of good information and answer many questions you may have.

Basic Member
    As a "rule of thumb", 2" will do. It really depends on the factors wbm mentions, plus what yardage you want to set your zero for. For deer-sized game 2" high at 100 yards is workable for most reasonable loads out to 300 or so, but remember -- there is no substitute for shooting your rifle at the actual yardages you might encounter, with the actual load you'll be using, to verify your setting.

If you go on Nightforces sight they are a big advocate of sighting in @ 150 yards, they feel it is the most versatile yardage to sight in at, which I have adopted and has worked out great for me.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

new hunter
    Cool thanks.

mikec1911
    Why 2" high? I've never done this, I always laser bore sight and then shoot paper to see where it's at, never more than a couple of clicks away, so I don't understand sighting in at 2" high. Please explain your reasoning.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec1911 View Post
    Why 2" high? I've never done this, I always laser bore sight and then shoot paper to see where it's at, never more than a couple of clicks away, so I don't understand sighting in at 2" high. Please explain your reasoning.
    2" high at means you are zeroed at roughly 200 yards or so, and never higher than that from where you are to your zero point. In other words, out to 250 or so you never have to adjust your point of aim, just put your crosshairs on the vitals of a big game animal and shoot.

mikec1911
    Gotch'a....Here in Texas it's rare to shoot over 100-150 yards Heck I cant remember ever having a hog more than 40-50 yards away.