Thread: New guy-new rifle

Basic Member

New guy-new rifle

Well after reading this forum for the last month, I decided my next rifle was going to be a Savage. I wanted something to punch paper and shoot prarie dogs. So I already have .223's and a .204 so I decided on the .243 VLP. I had to order it from the gunshop,and it finally came in! I can't wait to go shoot it. I havn't read alot on .243 VLP so if anyone has one, could you tell me both the heaviest and lightest bullet it likes? Anything else I should know about this particular rifle? Thanks in advance.

Elkbane

Re: New guy-new rifle

Sledder,
    The bullet selection will likely depend on the twist rate of the barrel. Mine has an aftermarket barrel with 8 twist, and it shoots 75-105 gr fine. Any idea what yours is?

Are you reloading or shooting factory ammo? If reloading, I have some load data I can dump on you as starting points, but every rifle is different and you'll have to find out what yours likes to eat....

Elkbane

The VLP in .243 should be a great rifle. You scoped it yet?

Basic Member

Yes, I will be reloading. It is the stock bbl which is 9.25 twist. I have not scoped it yet, I ordered the EGW base and it hasn't arrived. I have an older Burris Sig. Select 6-24 that will be going on top.

1Shot

...I use 70gr Nosler's with Varget for varmints & 90 grainers with H4350 for deer.. ...