Thread: OK Got some matches coming up...

Basic Member

OK Got some matches coming up...

I have promised myself I will get back into competitive shooting...Camp Butner is just a couple hours away in NC and is a regional hun for F-Class...I plan on shooting a couple of matched this spring and early summer.

What would you F-Classers advise me to do to get ready...

Rifle is a 110FP in 24" .308 20X SWFA scope on 20MOA EGW, CDI DBM (I know single shot) with a Harris Bipod I plan on shooting FTR.

I have a 60x spotting scope with stand, a range bag, a shooting mat is inbound. I shot with a shooting jacket in the Corps but I dont see many people shooting F Class with this so is this necessary?

What drills or practive regimen can I do to get ready short of range time...my local 300yd range is 45 minutes away.

I have been shooting FGMM 175gr as its as accurate in my gun as any handloads I've been able to come up with so far at .3 to .5MOA fairly consistently. I cant argue with that. So I plan on using FGMM at the matches...a little pricey but hey its accurate...

One thing I do plan on doing is getting a few snap caps and getting into the back yard and doing what we called in the Marines "Snapping In" getting prone and dry firing dozens and dozens of times over and over getting the firing sequence down as muscle memory and really getting my head into the mechanics of it...

Any other tips, advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Capt Beach

Basic Member
    Good Morning,

Best off season drill for me is shooting my 22 at 100 yards at a reduced down F/Class target. Really great for wind reading skills plus it won't break the bank buying ammo.

Ken

Basic Member
    Good luck Cap. I want to start FTR this year too! Shot once at Butner with a private group a year ago; the wind is tough there, high and variable. Kicked my a** going from 800 to 1000 yds. So like Ken suggested do what you can to practice in the wind.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaware_Ken View Post
    Good Morning,

Best off season drill for me is shooting my 22 at 100 yards at a reduced down F/Class target. Really great for wind reading skills plus it won't break the bank buying ammo.

Ken
    Ditto on that. We do it at 300 w/ a Savage TRR-SR. On a 8" target, it's almost like shooting a .308 at 1,000. Flight time is about the same.

JCalhoun
    I also concur with the .22lr trainer. If you can afford it get one of similar stock and trigger. Having the same scope will help you learn the sight picture and follow through while shooting the trainer.

You don't need a coat or sling for F-Class. Some will claim the snug fitting coat will help maintain a better prone position though.