Thread: New caliber (to me)

n4ue

New caliber (to me)

Hi. I know this might not be specifically a Savage 'article', (but it might be).
    I just realized that there is a new ctg out there, the "26Nosler". It's a 6.5mm that makes the 6.5-284 look like a .223.

I wonder if Savage will ever offer a rifle in this ctg. I don't want one, no need to shoot Elk at at 400+ yards. ha ha

ron

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hi. I know this might not be specifically a Savage 'article', (but it might be).
    I just realized that there is a new ctg out there, the "26Nosler". It's a 6.5mm that makes the 6.5-284 look like a .223.

I wonder if Savage will ever offer a rifle in this ctg. I don't want one, no need to shoot Elk at at 400+ yards. ha ha

ron
    Just looked it up, 3400 fps with 130 gr bullet? sounds like about 600 rounds barrel life hahah.

Nothing more than a 6.5/7mm Dakota can do, it's been around for a few years. Originally named the 260 Weller, the designer did his load development and testing at Nosler about 5 years ago. They must have obtained the rights to it. I still haven't seen any case dimensions of the Nosler offering.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 01-23-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Received more info via pm
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I don't find anything wrong with barrel with a 600 round life span, if it is used for it's intended purpose, that is a lot of game in it's life span whatever the number may be, it is no different than a racing engine or anything else that is hi performance, you get the maximum effect out of it's limited life span which is usually a lot, if you start target shooting or plinking with it, it is no different than using your race car for running errands and commuting.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I don't find anything wrong with barrel with a 600 round life span, if it is used for it's intended purpose, that is a lot of game in it's life span whatever the number may be, it is no different than a racing engine or anything else that is hi performance, you get the maximum effect out of it's limited life span which is usually a lot, if you start target shooting or plinking with it, it is no different than using your race car for running errands and commuting.

Dean
    Very true, a quick setback and a rechamber/rethroat gets you right back in the ball game.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Very true, a quick setback and a rechamber/rethroat gets you right back in the ball game.

Hear Hear

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

emtrescue6

New caliber (to me)

Nothing more than a 6.5/7mm Dakota can do, it's been around for a few years. Originally named the 260 Weller, the designer did his load development and testing at Nosler about 5 years ago. They must have obtained the rights to it. I still haven't seen any case dimensions of the Nosler offering.
    According to my friend at Nosler (I have a house in Redmond and been shopping at their factory store for over 20 years) this cartridge actually isn't the 260 Weller. The 26 Nosler is actually based on a necked down 375 Ruger case and I believe the 260 Weller is based off a necked down 7mm Dakota...the 26 Nosler has a case capacity of 93g of water. It was officially released at SHOT last week.
    Last edited by emtrescue6; 01-23-2014 at 07:51 PM.

93gr of case cap, now that's my kind of round.

Dean

emtrescue6
    Yeah it oughta reach out and touch something in another zip code!

The least expensive rifle I saw in that caliber was $1695.00, I can only imagine how much a box of ammo is.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    According to my friend at Nosler (I have a house in Redmond and been shopping at their factory store for over 20 years) this cartridge actually isn't the 260 Weller. The 26 Nosler is actually based on a necked down 375 Ruger case and I believe the 260 Weller is based off a necked down 7mm Dakota...the 26 Nosler has a case capacity of 93g of water. It was officially released at SHOT last week.
    Yes, the Weller was a necked down 300 or 7mm Dakota. I was hoping they'd base the 260 off of the 375, but when I saw that Weller had done his R&D at Nosler, I figured that's where they were headed since a lot of the work was already done. You gotta love it when a company announces something new and then leaves it wide open for rumor and speculation for 2 months before actually showing it to the public. I've been hitting the factory store since the ballistic tips first came out. If you could only get them now for what we were paying then........

emtrescue6

New caliber (to me)

Yes, the Weller was a necked down 300 or 7mm Dakota. I was hoping they'd base the 260 off of the 375, but when I saw that Weller had done his R&D at Nosler, I figured that's where they were headed since a lot of the work was already done. You gotta love it when a company announces something new and then leaves it wide open for rumor and speculation for 2 months before actually showing it to the public. I've been hitting the factory store since the ballistic tips first came out. If you could only get them now for what we were paying then........
    Oh man tell me about it! I was cleaning up and organizing my "lead" cabinet awhile back and found a couple bags of seconds of the old solid base 100g 6mm (probably 25-30 years old?), price tag on the bags of 100 was $3...hahaha! Found a couple bags of 150g .277 BT's...price, $4.50!!!!

emtrescue6
    The least expensive rifle I saw in that caliber was $1695.00, I can only imagine how much a box of ammo is.

Dean
    It's only $$

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I was cleaning up and organizing my "lead" cabinet awhile back and found a couple bags of seconds of the old solid base 100g 6mm
    Well, if you want to get rid of those antiqued 6/100s I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by billpa View Post
    well, if you want to get rid of those antiqued 6/100s i'll be glad to take them off your hands.

bill
    hahahahahahahahahaha

Basic Member
    Man, the solid base projectiles were the best.

emtrescue6
    I was pleasantly surprised to find them :)

n4ue

Dean
    +1 on that, Dean. As an old time drag racer, I find it unthinkable that these days, a set of pistons and clutch will only last 1000 feet!

ron