Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion? Vortex scopes

Basic Member

What's your opinion? Vortex scopes

Looked at a Vortex viper today. Must admit the optics looked good. I've read a few threads but I'd like to hear some new updates. How are they performing ? Compare to Leupold ? Other comments ?

Basic Member
    They seem to be a great scope. Only downfall is luepold scopes always seem in focus. With vortex you have to adjust the AO to bring everything into focus. This is both good and bad. It reminds you to adjust and remove parallax otherwise I forget

For the record I have an HS tactical 5-15x44 mil/mil
    every bit as good as every vx3 I've owned just different as mentioned
    Last edited by limige; 01-23-2014 at 01:09 AM.

I think they are overpriced junk. Everyone raves about their customer service which I will admit is outstanding but I would prefer to buy a product that worked the first time around. I have personally sent back almost every vortex optic I have ever bought for some reason or another. I bought 5 crossfires when they were on sale at swfa for $99. Two of them have survived and have been good for what they are. Three of them had to be sent off for repair to either the turrets not working or the reticle rotating with the power ring or both. I have sent off three Vortex Vipers because of their inability to hold zero or track properly and one Vortex Viper HS that the elevation turret would spin freely and not click. None of these scopes have been on any sort of magnum cartridge or dropped or abused in any way and were mounted securely in Burris Signature Zee Rings. Needless to say I do not trust a vortex optic on anything anymore. They are very nice when they work but in my opinion it will only be a matter of time until you get to sample that awesome customer service they have.

I have had a Viper for about 18 months and it has been on several rifles. Several of my shooting buddies have them as well and none of us have encountered any type of issue with them. The glass is very clear but not quite as good as my Leupold Vari-X 3 Varmint series. The one major thing for me about them though is the eye placement is very critical on them. The Leupold can be thrown up and everything is there. The Viper has to be almost perfectly aligned with your eye and eye relief is relatively short.

I did pick up a Cabela's Euro series recently and I do like it a lot, more than my Viper.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Had a viper hs that the elevation knob went out on. Had a pst that the focus went out on. The customer service was good but would prefer a $500 and $900 scope to work from the box. I do have a sightron siii that has outlasted all these vortex scopes. The glass on the sightron is better as well.

Basic Member
    I had two vipers and were pretty happy with them. Tracking and zero was reliable. Clarity left something to be desired but $450 scope in a 6.5-20x50 I don't think I would have gotten much better. Also the eye relief was a bit particular. But if all I had was $450 to spend I would most likely buy another one. I have upgraded to the PST line I have two of the 6-24 and a 1-4 and love them.

buxman66
    Vortex viper hs-t is what I have picked out on SWFA's my wishlist so this is interesting information to hear. Couple weeks and I'll be pulling the trigger on the 4-16x44......so anxious to hear more responses.
    Last edited by buxman66; 01-24-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: wrong magnification listed

Basic Member
    I have both the Viper and the Viper PST FFP. Very happy with both, but as mentioned, eye relief is somewhat picky in order to get a full view. I shoot prone exclusively, so it's no big deal for me to get the same cheek weld everytime. Clarity and tracking are spot on. Crosshairs on the FFP do get thick at higher power.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

I have 6 of their scopes ranging from the top of the line Razor HD to a little 22 rim fire crossfire scope, and I have been happy with all of them. I also have a pair of the Razor HD binos that I love. The glass is decent at all levels, but becomes noticeably better at the Viper PST level. The Razor HD scope has as good a glass as you will find at that price point. I like their stuff so much I have already ordered the new Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56 to go on an ELR gun that I have planned in the future. As mentioned their CS is second to none, luckily I have not had to use it, as everything I have from them has work flawlessly.

1ShotKing
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    I have 6 of their scopes ranging from the top of the line Razor HD to a little 22 rim fire crossfire scope, and I have been happy with all of them. I also have a pair of the Razor HD binos that I love. The glass is decent at all levels, but becomes noticeably better at the Viper PST level. The Razor HD scope has as good a glass as you will find at that price point. I like their stuff so much I have already ordered the new Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56 to go on an ELR gun that I have planned in the future. As mentioned their CS is second to none, luckily I have not had to use it, as everything I have from them has work flawlessly.
    I held that Razor at SHOT and man is it heavy! Nice optic though. I agree with this guy, there stuff is great and I've used the Crossfire line up to the Viper PST line. I personally don't own one, I enjoy my Leupold even more.

Westcliffe01
    I have 2. the 4-16x50 PST FFP and the 6-24x50 PST FFP. I have not had any issues. These scopes are a fraction of the price you pay for a NF, Leupold, Zeiss, or Steiner. I can't afford to spend $1400+ per scope. Its just not going to happen for me. I paid $900 for the 4-16x50 and $830 for a demo 6-24x50 both FFP.

For the type of shooting that I do (coyotes) the FFP reticle is the right choice for me. I can understand that for someone who is always able to shoot at maximum magnification, the SFP may be a better solution with a thinner reticle. But for me it is very comforting knowing that at any magnification from 4-24 the reticle graduations are always the same angular value and can be used for elevation wind or lead when time potentially does not permit adjustment of the magnification or turrets. Having just a couple of seconds for a shot is very common with coyotes, whereas it is quite different with most herbivores.

If you buy a Leupold for the same money as a Vortex scope, you will be giving up a considerable amount of features that actually work. If the new HS-T 4-16x44 had been available when I bought the last scope, I would probably own 2 of them instead. I very seldom need illumination and that is basically all you give up with the HS-T compared to the PST. For $550, I would like to know what the haters think stacks up to the HS-T. Usually the answer is to spend 3x the money, which I'm afraid is not really an answer at all.

Basic Member
    It's funny to hear the hate for Vortex (on a Savage forum). Irony!

buxman66
    I've bounced around in my thinking many times between Leopold, Nikon, Bushnell and Vortex. There isn't another maker that has all the requirements I'm looking for, in my price limit, other than the Vortex. Most of them average $3-$400 more for these same features. And I don't think any of them have the C.S. that Vortex has. Just my observations.

Basic Member
    I've had a 4-12 Viper for several years and it has been good for hunting where no range adjustments have been required. Shooting prone at long range steel with a guy who had a Razor, and he was unable to see his misses impact the ground at any magnification. Turned out the eyebox range (relationship of the eye to the scope) was very tight such that upon recoil all focus was lost; sounds like this is a common complaint for a number of guys. Compared to my Bushnell and Weaver Tacs I could not appreciate an improvement in optical quality, and the Razor reticle was very busy. This covers the lower and upper end Vortex, but I have not looked thru mid-range like PST. Nice to have a lot of options to contemplate. So far I really like the new Weaver for the price.

They fixed the eye box problem that was common on the early Razors

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by LRPut View Post
    Looked at a Vortex viper today. Must admit the optics looked good. I've read a few threads but I'd like to hear some new updates. How are they performing ? Compare to Leupold ? Other comments ?
    LRPut, fwiw, I have 3 Vipers and have had zero problems. Zeroed perfectly and passed the box test. I have all the low to mid range scopes.
    I also am a big fan of the Millets, have a bunch of them including the 35 mm tube monsters.
    Ironically, the only 2 scopes I have purchased recently that were big disappointments were the Weaver Kaspa and a new Nikon Monarch. The monarch was so disappointing, I sent it back to the seller. Really nothing 'wrong' with the Nikon. It was just not worth the $450 when it was voted (by my hunting buddies), as being inferior to a Wal-Mart Centerpoint ($70) model......
    I always purchase from a seller that will accept returns. ha ha

ron

Uncle Jack
    I noticed that SSS no longer features Vortex on their website.

???

uj

lb243
    I have a crossfire. Yes it is a low end scope but it is the worst scope I have ever owned. Sent the first scopes 2 back for canted crosshairs and the last one will not hold zero even on a .243 win. I am tempted to get a viper but am really hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    I held that Razor at SHOT and man is it heavy! Nice optic though. I agree with this guy, there stuff is great and I've used the Crossfire line up to the Viper PST line. I personally don't own one, I enjoy my Leupold even more.
    Your right, it is a really really heavy scope, but the gun I plan on building to put it on will end up somewhere around 15+ pounds range. It will be a carry from the truck about 20 yds to shoot steel or doe at ridiculous ranges type gun.

Basic Member
    I've "had" a couple. Good thing they have a great warranty.

Basic Member
    Common issues you buy the cheap stuff you'll have problems. Same with luepold vx1 series.

I'm curious who's had issues with thier stuff priced over lets say $450. Because for $550 the HS-T seems a better deal than a luepold vx3 in the same price range.

Basic Member
    I've never had any issues with my PST. Hasn't lost zero tracks perfectly and is as clear to me a Leupold Mark IV. That's the most expensive scope I can compare it to right now.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack View Post
    I noticed that SSS no longer features Vortex on their website.

???

uj
    That's because of two things.

1. Every time they went to order something they couldn't get it because it was back-ordered
    2. They got tired of getting screwed by Vortex with their special pricing and special deals for certain high volume retailers.

No sense in staying in the game when the game's rigged against you from the start. When you're cost from the manufacturer is higher than the price a select few privileged retailers are selling the same product for you're just wasting your time.

And this from a company that supposedly uses MAP pricing to ensure a fair and level playing field for all their dealers.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Uncle Jack
    Trust me, Moe, I understand that well. I used to run a small custom gun shop myself.

uj

Basic Member
    I don't know of any optics company that doesn't have both good and so-so products in their line up for the prices quoted. Like anything else thats mechanical, you can have problems. It's how they are solved that counts if it happens.

The bottom line is and always will be the same, what works for my eyes may not work for yours. If you won't go to a store(s) with a lot of optics to look through before you buy, you simply have at best a 50/50 chance of getting what works for your eyes.

If i had to just buy one scope sight unseen i would at least go for one with great customer service. As for one company getting better prices than another, of course they do thats the way business works.

If you sell more you get better pricing, as far as saying "it's fair pricing to everybody" thats something you have take up with them. I can think of one sponsor here that that i had problems with yet am trying again to deal with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast