Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Break in

new hunter

Ok sounds like it more of a matter if you want to spend the time to do it or not. I think I will do it. Will let you all know what comes of it.

goodolsavage
    Quote Originally Posted by new hunter View Post
    Ok sounds like it more of a matter if you want to spend the time to do it or not. I think I will do it. Will let you all know what comes of it.
    I would do this over the one shot clean and repeat 10 times and so on

new hunter
    Sounds good thanks

goodolsavage
    I ment to quote a different one oops

goodolsavage
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shot it five times. Let cool off. Shot five more. All done.!!!
    Sounds better then shoot it once clean 10 time then shoot three times clean (x5) and so in and fourth

goodolsavage
    I guess you should have adde what gun you are wanting to break in? Some guns dont need it and some guns because the way theyre made wont benifeit in terms of accuracy

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You mean, you're supposed to clean the barrel?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

goodolsavage
    Yea.. Savage has a break in procedure on their page

goodolsavage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    You mean, you're supposed to clean the barrel?
    I wondered when we were going to hear from you! :)

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Any barrel, new, Savage factory or aftermarket, it gets installed, a few warm up shots & it's off to the load testing. Maybe, and this is a big maybe,.... Maybe a quick wet swab with a little Hoppe's to pull out some carbon.
    Otherwise, they get cleaned whenever the accuracy starts to fall off.
    Of course, there's the occasional copper grabber that needs to be de-coppered after every use.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    2nd that

Joetinva
    3rd that, cleaning is unneccessary until the accuracy falls off, 100 rounds or 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shot it five times. Let cool off. Shot five more. All done.!!!
    Would the above apply for a shieln select match ss hand lapped barrel?

Basic Member
    If I dare answer your question that may have been directed specifically to Homefront; Darb, as I remember, the general consensus in this thread was that "break-in" is a waste of barrel life and time.

Having said that, Homefrontsniper's stated routine for break-in will be as good as any other and would apply to any barrel that you wish to apply the logic and regime to.

I have done it many times. Nothing wrong with doing so. I doubt I will subject myself or my new barrels to the routine again in the future, though.

does that answer your question? :)

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    If I dare answer your question that may have been directed specifically to Homefront; Darb, as I remember, the general consensus in this thread was that "break-in" is a waste of barrel life and time.

Having said that, Homefrontsniper's stated routine for break-in will be as good as any other and would apply to any barrel that you wish to apply the logic and regime to.

I have done it many times. Nothing wrong with doing so. I doubt I will subject myself or my new barrels to the routine again in the future, though.

does that answer your question? :)
    Yes. thank you

trimble s6
    I break in shoes, ball gloves, bats, women, saddles, and jeans. Barrels.................not so much. I screw it on and shoot. I would hate to have a coyote in my crosshairs and be contemplating whether or not to clean and repeat..........or risk destroying my barrel because I shot 4 times before I cleaned instead of three.

It's your money, do what you like...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.

Deerhunter 28
    I shoot and clean every 50 rounds at first .
    Then 3 shot groups and clean maybe 10 times.
    Then shot normal.
    Just the way I have always done it.
    Worked good so far.

goodolsavage
    ...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.[/QUOTE]

YES! sorry for the late reply, my forum app wasn't working for a while. I have yet to see proof that breaking in a barrel actually does any good, your gun will break itself in and get more accurate after so many shots anyway, so why over clean it when you first get it?

Basic Member
    Someone needs to call mythbustes TV SHOW..... they like firearm's :)

goodolsavage
    Agreed

JTCrl
    Just did this with my new Shilen 223 shooting 55gn Bergers and H335.

Shoot / clean X 10

Shoot 3 / clean X 5

Saw a noticeable reduction in carbon fouling through those first 10 rounds. Saw the same thing when I broke in the Savage factory barrel. No noticeable difference in copper fouling but then in the Shilen there was hardly any there.

goodolsavage
    So in your opinion is there a real reason to "break in" factory barrels?

JTCrl
    Don't know I'd call it a "reason", maybe more of an "excuse". Just my personal experience from doing it a grand total of 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by goodolsavage View Post
    ...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.
    YES! sorry for the late reply, my forum app wasn't working for a while. I have yet to see proof that breaking in a barrel actually does any good, your gun will break itself in and get more accurate after so many shots anyway, so why over clean it when you first get it?[/QUOTE]
    Good timing. I just ordered a barrel for my second build. I think I'll skip the procedure this time around, unless someone can explain to me how it is detrimental. Thanks for the reply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast