Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Break in

new hunter

Breaking in a gun??

My body is a big hunter and told me I need to break in my gun. But not sure about the way he says to do this. It goes like this.
    1 shot clean. Ten times.
    Then two shots clean ten times
    Then 3 shots clean 15 times
    And so on.
    Is this true

new hunter

Break in

What's the nest way to break in your new barrel

Basic Member
    Shoot it. Clean it. Repeat. 10x

Shoot it 2-3X. Clean it. Repeat 10x.

From then on, clean only as often as necessary to retain accuracy. From my experience and as others report, Savage factory barrels typically like some copper fouling. (Smooths-out/fills the tooling marks and imperfections?)

I've also heard the whole idea is over-rated and serves only to shorten barrel life in the sense the barrel has only so many shots in it.

Follow barrel mfr recommendations.

I also find that they tend to settle down and shoot better after 100-250 rounds thru them no matter what you do.

I am no expert, take all of above with a grain of salt.

Basic Member
    Nope. Breaking in a barrel is the basis for "endless" debate, but when the smoke clears, there is "zero" proof either way. Now lets sit back and watch the fire works, LOL.

Basic Member
    Initial cleaning, shoot it and have fun. Clean again when accuracy falls off.

I have tried both of the above methods, and a few in between. Can't really see a difference that I can attribute to break in one way or the other.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    I recently put a new Criterion barrel on a Garand. I had some ambivalence about the break in routine, but I decided there wasn't a reason not to do it. On a week day, I typically have the local range to myself. On the day that I happened to pick, there was a top tear competitor (non break in believer) acquaintance, who is sort of a contrarian by nature. As I was shooting one round, cleaning, repeating, he was giving me a full ration.

Perhaps it's one thing for a sub MOA target rifle, and completely different (as Monty Python was wont to say) for a "Greatest Battle Implement".
    I felt a little better a couple of days later, when I ran into a Smith acquaintance at the cigar bar, who opined that break in is legit, on a micro finish level, predominately in the throat.
    As soon as I hit that lotto, I'm going to buy two identical barrels and see if it really makes a difference.

Shoot it.

Shoot it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoky View Post
    I recently put a new Criterion barrel on a Garand. I had some ambivalence about the break in routine, but I decided there wasn't a reason not to do it. On a week day, I typically have the local range to myself. On the day that I happened to pick, there was a top tear competitor (non break in believer) acquaintance, who is sort of a contrarian by nature. As I was shooting one round, cleaning, repeating, he was giving me a full ration.

Perhaps it's one thing for a sub MOA target rifle, and completely different (as Monty Python was wont to say) for a "Greatest Battle Implement".
    I felt a little better a couple of days later, when I ran into a Smith acquaintance at the cigar bar, who opined that break in is legit, on a micro finish level, predominately in the throat.
    As soon as I hit that lotto, I'm going to buy two identical barrels and see if it really makes a difference.
    Anyone will tell you that two barrels, even made one right after the other are still "two different barrels, so there is "no" way to prove or disprove anything. Even a crappy barrel can sometimes be made to shoot well, so if you go by performance of the barrel, break in is irrelevant at best anyway. Now what does this have to do with Optic and mounts? LOL.
    Last edited by RP12; 01-22-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Basic Member

I have some good luck with firearms and barrels. My method.... clean really good, go to the range and clean when I get home. More than happy to post up results.
    More shooting, less typing.

buxman66
    I'm fairly quiverin' to see what happens here......lol

what is barrel breakin?
    just cause you do it for an engine as mentioned it in the owners manual by taking it easy for the first x miles. does that mean that you have to do the same for a barrel. Heck I broke in my Honda fit by driving it like I stole it.
    I am happy to say it is still working.
    Back to barrels,
    I see ritualistic cleaning after each shot is a staple, I wonder if one should apply the same logic on their honeymoon?
    Is the residue from a shot too abrasive that leaving it in will ruin the barrel after a few shots unless it is cleaned?

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    + 1

Basic Member
    i've done both and then some and dont see any difference i just shoot it a good bit then see what it will do group wise

Just cant help it I always follow break in procedure a new rifle. Heck I even followed the procedure on an AK. It certainly doesn't hurt. Just my opinion but I believe with a factory barrel it helps.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I have tried both of the above methods, and a few in between. Can't really see a difference that I can attribute to break in one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    +1 Me too.

goodolsavage
    I never "full" broke in my 93r17 barrel.. I kept losing that tiny .17 jag.. And i can litteraly put bull lets through the same hole at 25 and get single hole groups out to 100... But it's whatever... I just say clean it every 10 rounds or so for the first 200ish and you will be fine

thomae
    OP started two similar threads in two sections. Merged the one in the optics section into this one.

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goodolsavage View Post
    i can litteraly put bull lets through the same hole at 25 and get single hole groups out to 100
    Very impressive with any rifle...more so with a 17HMR.

goodolsavage
    Not really? .17 is very capable

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goodolsavage View Post
    Not really? .17 is very capable
    My post before assumed 25 and 100 yards, maybe I was mistaken?

goodolsavage
    25-35 yards in the same hole and out to 100 maybe 125 In a ragged hole/ touching one a other

Basic Member
    Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shoot it three times. Clean it. Shot it five times. Let cool off. Shot five more. All done.!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast