Thread: Nighforce NXS 12-42 - 1,000 yard problem

Basic Member

Nighforce NXS 12-42 - 1,000 yard problem

We shot 1,000 yard F class last year with different rifle/scope. So I bought a new combo for this year. I thought for sure I would have enough internal elevation with a 20 MOA base on my F/TR for 1,000. Does not look like it. Bought a Savage F/TR rifle used and it had a 20 MOA base on it. Guy had shot it at 1,000 yard F class matches.

I installed a Nightforce NXS 12-42 which has 45 MOA internal. I took it out and got 100 yard zero and then 500. Needed 11 MOA up from 100, which jived w/ my chrono.
    Went to add 24 more MOA up and she stopped after another 12 or so.

Took it all the way back down and found something strange. At 100 yard zero, it has 19 min down until it stops and has 24 up until stops. I would think with a 20 MOA base, it would be less than 19 down? Velocity is 2,750.

Looks like I need at least a 30 MOA base, if not more. He must have had a scope w/ more internal than me.

Anyone else run into this w/ the NXS for 1,000 yards?

Basic Member
    Answered my own question. I went back and looked at it and although it appears to be canted, because the way it's made, it's an illusion. I measured and it the same front and back.

Guy told me it was 20. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise because 20 wont be enough anyway. So next question, should I go 30 or 40? This will strictly be a 600-1,000 yard F class gun.

I have no experience at 1000 yards, but just math wise a 30 base if you make it will be on they edge with no wiggle room, and no matter who makes the scope they all say, it is not good to keep bottoming out they adjustment turrets.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Ditto. I just spoke with a custom mfg of bases and they can do a 40. Think I'm going that route since this will only be a 600-1,000 yard gun.

If you need 11 at 500 from 100, and that gives you 30 total until you bottom out, won't a 40moa base make you 10moa high at 500 and bottomed out? I'm reading that at 500, you've got 30moa down and only 12 up.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Suggestion, Trade in the Night Force for one of these: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-T...pe-P51653.aspx

This will be my next upgrade once I'm all set up for reloading. Over 100 MOA of adjustment, but it's a mil Scope. I run a non-HD 12x42 currently.

Also if the company does custom mounts you could request a 35MOA rail. I had thought the Night Force scope had around 95 MOA of adjustment over all. Is it an older model?

Basic Member
    Nevermind I just looked up the model. You would think a 42X scope would come with higher elevation adjustments as you would expect to use it for longer distance shooting.

Yea 50 MOA is not a lot at 1000 yards there 5-22X56 is 100 MOA,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Another scope is not an option, sticking with the scope I have. You don't need much adjustment when you shoot at a fixed distance most of the time. This is pretty much a 1,000 yard F class gun.

Talking to a guy I know, I might have to use the 40 base. He has same scope with a 30 MOA base and said when he shoots a 185g Berger at 1,000, he's close to being maxed out on elevation.

You could always send the bullets faster, that way you would need less elevation adjustment, LOL

Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Answered my own question. I went back and looked at it and although it appears to be canted, because the way it's made, it's an illusion. I measured and it the same front and back.

Guy told me it was 20.
    Been reading this forum a long time, but this is my first time posting.

Might I suggest that if the base measures the same front and back that the previous owner may be incorrect about it being a 20 MOA base? Perhaps it is a 0 MOA base. I use a 20 MOA base with a Nightforce BR that has less internal adjustment than your NXS and reach 1000 yd. no problem. I suggest that if you purchase a 30 or 35 or 40 moa base that you make sure you can return or exchange it if it does not work out.

You don't say what rings you are using, so I will also recommend you consider the Burris rings with the inserts that can be used to further adjust your scope angle. The 30 mm Burris rings will give as much as 20 MOA adjustment up or down depending on how you set up the inserts. I use these rings with an EGW 20 MOA base and have the rings set so that the scope's elevation adjustment is bottomed out (or close to it) when it is dead on at 100 yards.

Hope this helps and you get it all worked out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fayettefatts View Post
    Been reading this forum a long time, but this is my first time posting.

Might I suggest that if the base measures the same front and back that the previous owner may be incorrect about it being a 20 MOA base? Perhaps it is a 0 MOA base. I use a 20 MOA base with a Nightforce BR that has less internal adjustment than your NXS and reach 1000 yd. no problem. I suggest that if you purchase a 30 or 35 or 40 moa base that you make sure you can return or exchange it if it does not work out.

You don't say what rings you are using, so I will also recommend you consider the Burris rings with the inserts that can be used to further adjust your scope angle. The 30 mm Burris rings will give as much as 20 MOA adjustment up or down depending on how you set up the inserts. I use these rings with an EGW 20 MOA base and have the rings set so that the scope's elevation adjustment is bottomed out (or close to it) when it is dead on at 100 yards.

Hope this helps and you get it all worked out.
    You must have missed my second post where I said it indeed was a 0 base.

Not sure how much you need on your rifle (cal/velocity?) but I need roughly 36 min from 100 yard zero. So I'm just going to get a 30 base to make sure I have enough. The gun will only be used for 600 and 1,000 yard shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    You must have missed my second post where I said it indeed was a 0 base.

Not sure how much you need on your rifle (cal/velocity?) but I need roughly 36 min from 100 yard zero. So I'm just going to get a 30 base to make sure I have enough. The gun will only be used for 600 and 1,000 yard shooting.
    Depending on load and conditions I use from 28-33 MOA from my 100 yd. zero. Your choice of a 30 MOA base will work fine for the longer distances. I will still recommend the Burris rings.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Nevermind I just looked up the model. You would think a 42X scope would come with higher elevation adjustments as you would expect to use it for longer distance shooting.
    More magnification needs more glass. That leaves less room for elevation adjustment.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Another approach is to get some Burris rings, the ones with they inserts, they have them in 5-10-15 and 20 MOA.

Dean

If you do get burris rings and you put a +20 on the bottom and a -20 on the top in the rear and -20 on the bottom and a +20 on the top in the front ring should give you 40 moa adjustment. I have a nikon monarch 6-24 with 1/8th clicks that I had to do this to and I now have plenty of adjustment for 1000 yards.

Basic Member
    Ended up just getting a Ken Farrell 30 MOA base. The 30 will put me almost right smack in the middle of my up/down adjustment at 1,000. Never going to shoot it at <500 yards so I went with the 30.