Thread: 260 Rem & 123 Scenars

Basic Member

260 Rem & 123 Scenars

I just started working up a load using 123 gr Scenars and holy cow do those things shoot! I've been mostly shooting the Berger VLD 140's and wanted to try their 130's but man they are hard to come by. So I thought I'd go with the Scenars as I saved a dime a piece over the Bergers. Was kind of nervous buying a 1000 but heard good things about them. Started putting some loads together and shot them at a hundred and three different loads gave me three shot groups in a 1" dot that measured .370, .332, and .303. I only loaded to a certain point and ran out of loads and my chronograph did not record a single one of these shots. It worker on shots before and after so I guess they must be going over 7000 fps. Not really but anyway loaded some more a little hotter and headed to a different range where I run out to 300 yds. Hoping to get to 3000 fps. Well run these at a match on Saturday and see how things go.

Basic Member
    Well went to a different range today to do some more testing. Everything worked this time and got some good numbers. Set up and shoot at a 100. Three shots one larger hole. Then I moved on out to 300. Chronograph said average 2960 with ES of 33 and SD 13 for a ten shot string. Group was around 2". Then I went to a 1/2 gr. hotter load and shot a ten round string. This time average was 2975 with ES of 13 and SD of 4. This is the best I've ever ran through any of my rifles. Four rounds grouped at .67". I did mess with the windage a little but the whole group was less than 2". So I ran the numbers on shooter and at 200' asl and 40* with zero at 100 I got .8 mils at 300 yds. When compared with the berger VLD 140's the 123 scenars do better out to 1000 except for wind. Anyway I'll be shooting these at Calib's small game shoot this weekend. It will be the true test!

You must be doing your shooting on the west side, the wind has been non-stop here on the east side of PDX for about a week now. I can see Crown Point from my window. No shooting here til it subsides.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Really good ES number on the 2975fps load. Should show small vertical spread at longer distances.

emtrescue6
    Hotloads442....this talk of PDX makes me homesick...I grew up in the Gorge

Basic Member
    I was up at Castle Rock. 0 wind, overcast. Perfect day. The wind just started blowing here this morning. I'm about 1/4 south of the C R.

emtrescue6
    Ahhh, one of my brothers lives in Silver Lake...

Basic Member
    Well the loads preformed great this weekend. I finished 2nd overall in the shoot out of 44 shooters. Last shoot I finished 2nd but that was 2nd to last with about 1/3 the shooters. In all fairness to myself I checked my base after last months shoot and the screws were lose. I took it off the action and cleaned the top of the receiver and the base and epoxied the base to the receiver. Loc tited the screws and hope it never comes apart again. Lind of like a custom receiver with built in rail.

Nice Job!
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks. His shoots are a lot of fun.

If I ever get time off during one of his shoots, I may just head over there.

I want to try those in my 260 ai dan, so dont load up every one of those bad boys yet.

Pm me if you have any leads on some 260 brass for a good deal

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calib View Post
    I want to try those in my 260 ai dan, so dont load up every one of those bad boys yet.

Pm me if you have any leads on some 260 brass for a good deal
    I think I'll have enough for 2 tactical shoots and the Sportsman Challenge and have some left over. I send some over. 50?
    260 rem brass works in mine pretty good. I'll keep an eye out.

don't worry, once i get my gun put together i will see how things are going for bullets, i need to get some more up here from LV