Thread: Redfield scopes

Redfield scopes

Hello all

I just thought i would voice my opinion, I had a chance to stick my eyes thru some diffrent glass yesterday at the gunsmiths. I peered thru bushnell,leupy,swarvoski,sightron, and redfield. granted it wasnt every scope by all these manufacturers. based on the scopes i seen there the clearest tube in the house was the 3-9x50 redfield revolution. I was kinda disapointed. I am a leupold and sightron fan and user.

Nothing to be disappointed about. The Redfield is made by Leopold and is dang fine glass. I love my 6-18 revenge.

No but I wish I would have went out of the way and looked at them before. I see on there website that they show a demo of the accu range reticle, does it work like it shows? thats a sweet option if it does.

I'm sure it does. I haven't used there new system but their old accu track scopes worked good.

I picked up a 4-12x40 Revolution on sale a while back and after shooting it for a while I'm not sure I would buy another. No major problems but not as clear on target as it seemed in the store?? I noticed at 100yds there is a bit of parallax but perfectly acceptable for most of the hunting I do.
    Dang I hope I'm not getting to be a glass snob, cause I definitely can't afford to be one!!!

Basic Member
    I like em great value. Agree the 4-12 would be better if it had AO like the 6-18 does. I'd buy another.

robert2286
    Agree! Redfields are great especially for price! My buddy has the 4x12x40 on his rifle and shooting out of it was really nice and clear

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Nothing to be disappointed about. The Redfield is made by Leopold and is dang fine glass. I love my 6-18 revenge.
    +1 on what 442 said. I have a 6-18 Revenge and also enjoy it a lot. One thing I noticed (and have confirmed by reading every optic forum I could find), is that looking through scopes in a store doesn't show a true picturer due to the un-natural lighting. If you can go outside and sight some distant objects, you're better off.
    Now I'm not saying a $30 Barska and a $1500 Lupy will look the same, inside! ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    Gotta let your eyeballs do the talking! The marketing hype can sometimes be misleading. The true test is how the scope performs for you, with your set of eyes, and the conditions under which you shoot most often. The better light gathering ability of some of the high-dollar scopes can usually only become noticeable in the early morning or late evening times, when the ambient light is not as strong. A 6-18 Revenge will perform perfectly for about 95% of us mere mortals!!

Most often the store is not the best place to try and check out a scope. It can be really difficult to tell just how sharp and clear they really are and how they perform at different light levels while in a retail environment. Most retailers don't provide anything to look at to really check a scope over properly, and lets face it, scopes can be a significant portion of a firearms purchase.

A really good way to separate the wheat from the chaff is to check out scopes side by side using a scope testing target such as the USAF 1951 optical resolution chart (available online for download) or other resolution chart.
    Heck even something like the front page of a newspaper with various size print at a reasonable distance of say 25 yards can also be a very useful tool. Retailer shouldn't object and may even welcome you to leave a resolution target behind for other customers. It'll help em show the real difference of a quality optic.
    Just thought I'd throw out a tip for those in the glass market who want to check em over good before purchase.
    Good luck guys
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have a couple of the new version Redfield Revolution models and am pretty impressed. I stay away from the other lines, since only the Revolution's are mad in the good 'ol USA. Just my preference though.

n4ue
    Corect about the USA part, but remember that all the parts are made in China for both the Revolution and Revenge. The Revolution is 'assembled' in the USA.

ron

Sporting Lad

Post Leupy too?

I hope they're good--I'm about to plunk down on a Revolution Tactical 3-9x40 for my '14 in .308.
    I've read a few excellent reviews and no bad ones. 'Pop' at my LGS recommends it.
    I'm one of those guys who's gotten tired of 'budget scopes' that won't hold zero or even have their
    reticules fall apart after a few hundred rounds, so the Redfield Lifetime Warranty holds great appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Corect about the USA part, but remember that all the parts are made in China for both the Revolution and Revenge. The Revolution is 'assembled' in the USA.ron
    Is that the case for the Leupy too? I'd heard that Redfields and Leupies were made side-by-side in Beavertown, Oregon.
    Here's what Redfield says on their site:

Now in its fifth generation, the family owned company employs over 650 people at its state-of-the-art facility where it designs, manufactures and assembles its famous line of “Golden Ring” sports optics.

IIRC the Redfield "Battlezone" line is imported, but my understanding is that the "Revolution" line is still manufactured (ie "made")
    in Oregon.
    Last edited by Sporting Lad; 03-23-2014 at 01:57 AM.

robert2286
    The redfield that i have played with was great! Crystal clear! But we have never taken it to the field to hunt or anything like that! I guess time will tell how good they are

I have a 6-18 Revenge and also enjoy it a lot.
    Me too!